Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 05:21 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,350,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have a smart phone for basic calling and texts. Don't use it for its computer aspects. I use a laptop for that.
I have a desktop that I use for that. I need the big screen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 06:29 PM

5,786 posts, read 11,476,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have a desktop that I use for that. I need the big screen!
I plug my laptop into a docking station. I have a larger screen, a regular keyboard and mouse that also plug into the docking station, so my laptop is essentially a small desktop. If I want to take my laptop somewhere else, I just unplug one cable from the docking station and off I go.

https://www.iogear.com/product/GUD300/

These can often be found on sale for under $100.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:02 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,336,768 times
Very difficult here to manage without a smartphone. Depending on the state we live in we may still have to use a phone to check-in at the supermarket or show proof of vaccination to go to the pub. There are alternatives but they are more time consuming.
I have a friend who is 88 and heading off to Europe in August. People were warning her to also take her documents on paper as a backup. Told her not to forget that she could find herself without reception, without power etc. We take our phones so much for granted these days.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:22 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,350,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I plug my laptop into a docking station. I have a larger screen, a regular keyboard and mouse that also plug into the docking station, so my laptop is essentially a small desktop. If I want to take my laptop somewhere else, I just unplug one cable from the docking station and off I go.

I do have a laptop, but just never use it. I should.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,620,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

do you have a pic of your set-up which you care to post? sounds interesting. I may try to duplicate it.

so you use a regular extra desktop keyboard rather than the keypad of the laptop?

And you use just any desktop large screen?

I have an Apple Mac laptop - a MacBook Pro. (and no cellphone - yep) ~ also have an iPad.

And you use just any desktop large screen?

Old 02-06-2022, 01:47 AM

17,426 posts, read 11,429,237 times
I lived most of my life without a cell phone and could probably easily adjust to no longer having one but truth be told, I use my cell phone a lot for many things like checking the current temp and weather forecast, checking current bank accounts, look at emails away from home, local news, making lists, using the calendar, taking pictures, looking at maps while on the go, storing passwords and phone numbers, music and of course texting with friends from CA among many other things. When traveling, I get notifications of airline flight changes so I can adjust accordingly. It's also comforting knowing I can call 911 from anywhere when I'm out of the house.
With all that said, I probably don't know half of the phones capability and never will.
I also have a laptop and use that as well but the compact size of the phone makes it very convenient to take anywhere with me at anytime.

Last edited by marino760; 02-06-2022 at 02:05 AM..

Old 02-06-2022, 05:34 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,201,215 times
Three major uses for our phones.
1. We don't have access to internet, so use the wireless hotspots for our web access. It's only 4G, but the only thing available here.
2. It is valuable as a two point authentication device. Easy to get a text number when signing into financial acct. on my desktop.
3. A spam collector. Put it on silent, and erase all the crapola that comes in once each day. It's a silent secretary that hangs up on the dark hats.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:58 AM

8,833 posts, read 5,163,493 times
I like my cell for saftey reasons....nothing more.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:32 PM

409 posts, read 487,262 times
Yes, I think that's it. The 3G is no longer working. I've ordered another cheap phone that is 4G

Old 02-07-2022, 11:17 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,660,940 times
The loop is slipping past me, This month, I got my DD from SS. Is something happening, that my SS will stop, if I do not satisfy some kind of technical telephony prequesite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement