Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 PM

146 posts, read 162,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Fine, whatever you say. Oh, what would you call the $1 penalty for every $2 earned?

Spoken like a true bureaucrat.
I will try to clarify for you one more time. His earned income (from his part-time job) MAY impact his SS benefit if he exceeds the income limit. His state pension is exempt and WILL NOT be included with his earned income in calculating any penalty. His pension only becomes relevant when his total income for the year (pension and earned) determines IF or at what rate his SS benefit will be taxed.

That is the best I can do... and will do.

And, for the record I am a retired academic... so i guess this was spoken like a true academic.

Last edited by northwesty; 08-02-2016 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 PM

4,711 posts, read 3,492,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesty View Post
Your pension is not counted as "earned income" for purposes of calculating your social security benefit. It IS included in your overall income to determine how much of your SS benefit is taxable.
Correct

Old 08-03-2016, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,402 times
Beach person, the question was is his pension considered earned income
by SS and the answer is no it is not.
it IS considered as far as taxable income. The one dollar for every two is
after the 15k plus amount and again on EARNED income

Old 08-05-2016, 04:23 PM

290 posts, read 314,898 times
Also let me add, when you reach full retirement age in the op case 66, SS will give back the money that they took from you because your earned income exceeds the threshold amount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement