Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:34 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There is a difference between activism which is putting your ideology into action and wearing a t-shirt proclaiming it. Or even using a keypad that drips it.
Whatever keeps your juices flowing, lol ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 08:25 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
I'm 66 but my neighbor across the street is 80 something. I've known her for 5 years and seems she's always been 82. She still has the girl she once was in her eyes. She's my occasional lunch buddy and she always has a glass of wine. She's adventuresome, she drives interstate often, and she travels with friends. A few years ago she did the Danube River cruise. She's had health issues, 2 knee replacements and a run with breast cancer, but she never talks about it. She's my role model for sure! Another friend, 74, lives 80 miles away but every weekend she drives to Cape Cod. I asked her why she doesn't just move here with the rest of the retirees. Her response was that she still gets a thrill when she drives over the bridge and she'd never want the experience to get old. Both ladies are adventure seekers, both just seem to carry the 'happy gene' and have a good outlook on life.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:31 AM

52 posts, read 53,970 times
I am about to turn 74 and I feel I am doing pretty well. The chores of maintaining our one acre are pretty much out of my league except for cutting grass. I feel really comfortable handling the in's and out's of daily living. Banking, bill paying, use of the internet are still easy for me. Reading books, listening to music and watching sports are a big part of my life. My biggest health problems are one remaining bad knee and battling afib and I am holding my own on each.

I grew up athletic, healthy and ambitous. That furnished a good base for the older years. My best move was marrying a lovely lady 14 years younger than I and who is a nurse. I like roadtrips but I can't drive as many miles per day as I used to. I sold my motorcycle, don't use my private pilots license any more. I called it quits going to Mardi Gras after 19 years under my belt. I imagine my quality of life will diminish over the coming years and just hope I am able to handle it with ease.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:25 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
One cannot really 'prepare' for complete oblivion and loss of consciousness for eternity.
Yeah true, but everyone gets it right the first time anyway.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:43 PM

10 posts, read 22,682 times
Default Turning 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I just turned 70 and I'm trying to deal with that. I don't know if I'm ready to hear about 80 but I know I'm going to read what people have to say anyway.
Hi and Happy Birthday!

I just turned 70 this past Tuesday and I have to pinch myself to say it. I can't believe I'm that old, I look in the mirror and think I look ok, walk fine not hunched over, not a lot of wrinkles either and I feel mentally like I did at 50. It just is the weirdest feeling, ME 70!! , no way.

Here's hoping you are adjusting better then me.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I turned 74 in April. Thankfully some of my friends are about the same age. We are all facing 80 with some trepidation.

But for me, while the number more or less spooks me, I am not "seeing" any big changes. I've been pretty much the same person for a long, long time. Only thing that is different is I am more careful these days of taking risks. One false move could mean a total change in my lifestyle and I'm not willing to give that up.

I've never looked forward to any age with "trepidation" but I remember waking up on my 61st b'day, wondering where the years went and thinking "I'm not 60 anymore!". It bothered me for about 20 minutes then I dropped it and got on with things. If I reach 80 I will consider myself lucky. If I stay as healthy and active as I am now I should be able to. I'm slowing down, yes, but I needed to! I was blessed with a TON of energy my whole life and kept wondering when I would slow down.

No big changes here either. I like who I am and how I've turned out so I don't see any reason to change anything. My life seems to be just fine too. I remember my mom being exasperated with me one time, when I was a teenager, and said, "Who do you think you are??". I said, "I don't know. I'm just me". And that will always be my answer. I've had too many people in my life who tried to change me into what THEY wanted me to be but it never worked very well. When I was about 35 I took stock of my life, and myself, up to that point. I DID change the things I didn't like about myself and worked on the things I did like. I'm not unhappy with the results all these years later.

Oh yeah...the "taking risks" thing. THAT I have changed. lol I don't even like getting up on ladders anymore and when I do I worry about falling...every time. I do NOT want any broken hips or other bones. I fell off my bed, from a standing position a few months ago...messing with the ceiling fan!...and two days later I felt like I'd been in a car accident. But nothing broken, thankfully.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:40 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
I just gave my view on the journey from 70 to 80 on another thread. The year I turned 70, I had open-heart surgery for a faulty aortic valve. Within months I had recovered and returned to the stage. (The role was one I had on my wish-list for a long time - the grandmother in Lost in Yonkers.)

I returned to my regular routine of babysitting two young granddaughters, keeping my own house, cutting my grass, weeding, rehearsals, performances, etc. Life was good.

Four years later, I once again found myself weak, short of breath, tired from the least exertion. I was only 73 and my heart was "fixed" so what was wrong with me? Saw the doctor, had some blood work and was admitted immediately to the hospital where they discovered I had colon cancer. Who knew? Surgery, chemo, and in six months, I was right back on stage. Right back to all the activities I enjoyed prior. For the next six years, I was unstoppable.

And then...and then,,,(cue dramatic music) last year I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. Sometimes my heart goes wonkey. Spent two weeks in March in the hospital until it returned to normal rhythm.

At this point, I'm rather limited in physical activity. Everything wears me out. I now have people who volunteer to cut the grass and I happily accept. Wish somebody would volunteer to mop the kitchen floor! I still manage to drive to the grocery store and shop for food, but I find I'm buying more and more frozen meals for days when I just cannot bring myself to cook. When I do have the urge, I cook big batches of stuff and freeze much of it so it's just a matter of thaw and reheat.

At 80, I've decided that I'm entitled to rest more frequently. I try to save whatever strength I can amass for something that I really enjoy doing. Remember, death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

ADDENDUM: In reading over this post, I realize that I may sound like I'm depressed about my current circumstances; I am not. My physical limitations are certainly to be expected although some people are still running marathons at my age. (I never had any interest in marathoning when I was capable of doing it.) I get a lot of enjoyment in reading, and learning something new, and when the cooler weather comes, I'll get out some of the unfinished needlework and busy myself with that. It's okay to take up hobbies that don't require one to be on one's feet!

Last edited by theatergypsy; 08-06-2016 at 05:49 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 08:31 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times
I have no desire to live past whatever age it is that I become non-ambulatory and lose my independence.

My mother rode her bike up until her 80th year..... and because she had pain in her knees - had the second one replaced which led to her stroke (doc did not adjust her coumadin post-op).

The rest of her life she was non-ambulatory and miserable.

Nope. nope. nope.

Surgery late in life can be the start of the downfall.... anesthesia and inability to adjust to new normals..... I will always question whether or not a procedure is really needed. I think elderly folks are pushed into procedures that do not enhance their quality of life.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I recently had general anesthesia given to a geriatric dog of mine for life-saving surgery. Shortly after, he became aggressive with another dog in the house for the first time, and then started biting me every time he glared at the other dog. I got a major infection/cellulitis and had to put him down and I do think the anesthesia affected his brain.
The dog may have been in pain after the surgery. This can cause agressiveness in dogs.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:04 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Nor'Eastah, I'd be interested in what arthritis drug you are referring to if you feel like posting it or happen to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I just had to comment on this.

I lost 3 family members to complications of prescribed drugs. None of them ever smoked, drank, or did "recreational" drugs. Nor did they have any accidents that caused debilitating injuries.

It is heart-breaking to see a perfectly healthy, sharp person fade because of toxic drugs. My maternal grandmother was going gangbusters into her mid-80s; she died of kidney failure at 86, from a prescribed painkiller for arthristis in her knees. Her knees weren't that bad. But, "the doctor said...".

Her husband, my maternal grandfather, died at 81 from wrongly-prescribed meds for a relatively mild type 2 diabetic condition, that did not require insulin. He didn't need any meds for that; it could have been controlled with diet. They gave him a "diet" alright - loaded with sugary stuff like orange juice.

At no time did anybody ever question what the doctors were doing or prescribing.

At age 69, I take no meds. I have a medic who understands that I don't want to. I would take a water pill if I developed high BP, but that's about it. Maybe something temporary like a decongestant if I got a respiratory infection. My wife knows what my wishes are. I'd rather go peacefully and naturally, than live a few weeks or months longer on drugs that will make me miserable. Just my humble opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'll always remember this: it was Darvon.
Anyone taking long term medications should also be getting regular blood tests to be sure the meds are not affecting the liver, kidneys or other bodily functions. I had to stop taking all NSAIDS a few years ago because my doctor noticed my kidney function tests moving ever so slightly upwards.

Also, every Rx comes with a fact sheet that tells you what side effects to watch for and what to report to your doctor. If you don't have the patience to read this info, then find someone who will read it for you and ask you questions. All drugs are not bad, but we all have a responsibility to ourselves to know what we are taking and why. And we are each responsible for going back to the doctor if something doesn't seem right. (if the drug you are taking is making you miserable, it's the wrong drug for you) And if your doctor isn't listening, then find another doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement