Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,179,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I just had to comment on this.

I lost 3 family members to complications of prescribed drugs. None of them ever smoked, drank, or did "recreational" drugs. Nor did they have any accidents that caused debilitating injuries.

It is heart-breaking to see a perfectly healthy, sharp person fade because of toxic drugs. My maternal grandmother was going gangbusters into her mid-80s; she died of kidney failure at 86, from a prescribed painkiller for arthristis in her knees. Her knees weren't that bad. But, "the doctor said...".

Her husband, my maternal grandfather, died at 81 from wrongly-prescribed meds for a relatively mild type 2 diabetic condition, that did not require insulin. He didn't need any meds for that; it could have been controlled with diet. They gave him a "diet" alright - loaded with sugary stuff like orange juice.

At no time did anybody ever question what the doctors were doing or prescribing.

At age 69, I take no meds. I have a medic who understands that I don't want to. I would take a water pill if I developed high BP, but that's about it. Maybe something temporary like a decongestant if I got a respiratory infection. My wife knows what my wishes are. I'd rather go peacefully and naturally, than live a few weeks or months longer on drugs that will make me miserable. Just my humble opinion.
If you develop high BP and just take a water pill..expect to die young...thats just BAD advice. Blood pressure pills are ESSENTIAL if you have high BP...geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
If you're nearing or at the 80 mark, what has your trajectory been like? Steady, or declines in health, or new discoveries, etc? Did a move figure in during this specific decade? How's your mental attitude regarding age as you near the mountaintop?
Whats amazing to me is every story people talk about on here is about the aunts, mothers, grandmothers that live into their 90's. Where are the men. I am in my mid 50's and STILL know of no 90+ male thats not in a nursing home. It seems 85 is the tipping point for males.

In 2010 there were about 500,000 males over 90 and 1.3 million females.

At 100 the numbers go 9,000 males ...45,000 females. The odds of living to 100 as a male are ASTRONOMICAL.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:04 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Where are the men. I am in my mid 50's and STILL know of no 90+ male thats not in a nursing home. It seems 85 is the tipping point for males.
In some previous posts, I had mentioned some of my role models and mentors who were or are active and mentally sharp well in their 90's and beyond

1. Captain John Miller (1905-2008), 101-year-old barnstormer & aviation pioneer

Dutchess Co. Pilot's Association - Capt. John Miller

2. Dick Padgett (91 years old), who was a Flying Fortress B17 bomber pilot in World War II, now serves as a tow pilot at Wurtsboro Airport

World War II air ace from Wurtsboro still flying planes at 90 - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

3. Ed Fitchett (92 years old), World War II Vet, Retired Dairy Company owner, videographer/film maker

World War II Vet Releases Home Movies from Overseas | NBC New York

BTW, I just saw Dick last week at the airport relaxing between tows in 90 degree weather. He appeared to have more endurance for the heat and humidity than us. Ed just called us last night excitedly talked about the American Experience Film, The Boys of '36 based on "The Boys in the Boat book

The Boys of '36 . American Experience . WGBH | PBS

https://www.amazon.com/Boys-Boat-Ame.../dp/0143125478

Ed shot some great videos of the IRA (Intercollegiate Rowing Association) races on the Hudson River in the late 30's and 40's and is still very much interested in all rowing events.

I think the key to their longevity and good health is their enthusiasm for life.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:13 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times
Quote:
Whats amazing to me is every story people talk about on here is about the aunts, mothers, grandmothers that live into their 90's. Where are the men. I am in my mid 50's and STILL know of no 90+ male thats not in a nursing home. It seems 85 is the tipping point for males.

At 100 the numbers go 9,000 males ...45,000 females. The odds of living to 100 as a male are ASTRONOMICAL.
A link with the data you shared:

How many Americans make it to 100? - CBS News

Quote:
What's it like to be 100 years old? It's one of those goals that people mention in passing, but the reality of joining the centenarian club may not be as cheerful as one might think.

First off, the oldest Americans are a small group, comprising just 0.02 percent of the population, or 55,000 people, according to an April report from the U.S. Census Bureau that examined 2007-2011 data from the American Community Survey.

Given that women tend to live longer than men, it's not surprising that about four-fifths of them are female. Most members of the 100-plus club are also widowed, while 17 percent live in poverty, or almost double the rate of people 65 years and older.

While the study doesn't note why the poverty rate is higher for the group than for U.S. seniors overall, it may be tied to the fact that women generally retire with less income than men.

That's certainly the case for centenarians. Women in the 100-plus club have a mean retirement income of about $12,200 per year, just above the poverty rate for a one-person household of $11,670. Male centenarians have a mean of $17,500 in retirement income.

Women overall are reaching retirement age with lower Social Security benefits than men, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., told CBS MoneyWatch this week. To mark "Equal Pay Day," Klobuchar was aiming to bring attention to how the existing gender gap in pay results in problems later in life for women, given that they retire with less in savings and benefits than men but tend to live longer and require more medical assistance.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:37 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
Quote:

Women live longer than men - historically at least.

Here in the UK, the gap is narrowing. Men have seen bigger life expectancy increases than women, and by 2030 could overtake women.

The bigger increase in male life expectancy here is put down to men abandoning their previously unhealthy habits, such as drinking excessively and smoking. Smoking prevalence used to be much higher amongst men than women, but these days it's exactly the same. Likewise, women have caught up with men in terms of drinking - and most emergency room visits related to alcohol are from girls/women aged 15-19.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
In some previous posts, I had mentioned some of my role models and mentors who were or are active and mentally sharp well in their 90's and beyond

1. Captain John Miller (1905-2008), 101-year-old barnstormer & aviation pioneer

Dutchess Co. Pilot's Association - Capt. John Miller

2. Dick Padgett (91 years old), who was a Flying Fortress B17 bomber pilot in World War II, now serves as a tow pilot at Wurtsboro Airport

World War II air ace from Wurtsboro still flying planes at 90 - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

3. Ed Fitchett (92 years old), World War II Vet, Retired Dairy Company owner, videographer/film maker

World War II Vet Releases Home Movies from Overseas | NBC New York

BTW, I just saw Dick last week at the airport relaxing between tows in 90 degree weather. He appeared to have more endurance for the heat and humidity than us. Ed just called us last night excitedly talked about the American Experience Film, The Boys of '36 based on "The Boys in the Boat book

The Boys of '36 . American Experience . WGBH | PBS

https://www.amazon.com/Boys-Boat-Ame.../dp/0143125478

Ed shot some great videos of the IRA (Intercollegiate Rowing Association) races on the Hudson River in the late 30's and 40's and is still very much interested in all rowing events.

I think the key to their longevity and good health is their enthusiasm for life.
Yes, there are some.. I get that.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Women live longer than men - historically at least.

Here in the UK, the gap is narrowing. Men have seen bigger life expectancy increases than women, and by 2030 could overtake women.

The bigger increase in male life expectancy here is put down to men abandoning their previously unhealthy habits, such as drinking excessively and smoking. Smoking prevalence used to be much higher amongst men than women, but these days it's exactly the same. Likewise, women have caught up with men in terms of drinking - and most emergency room visits related to alcohol are from girls/women aged 15-19.
Average age 88 by 2030...??? keep dreaming/ Unless the old age gene is altered age increase will slow down now.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A link with the data you shared:

How many Americans make it to 100? - CBS News
Thanks for adding

Old 08-05-2016, 11:53 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,846 times
jp03,

so true and so crucial about the need to take medication to lower blood pressure. excellent point and I'm glad you mentioned that!

there are millions of people who do not know they even have high blood pressure, and others who do not take medication to lower blood pressure upon knowledge of it.

also, statistically, many black people die unnecessarily early due to untreated high blood pressure. (not to mention other ethnicities)

Last edited by matisse12; 08-05-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 12:00 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,205,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Has anyone here ever gotten a message after the death of a loved one? Perhaps this should be the topic of another thread. It seems to have nothing to do with religion. I am not afraid to admit that this has happened to me, on numerous occasions (so if I'm crazy, at least I'm consistently so!). But I have heard so many others speak of it, that surely some here have experienced it.

I can tell you that such incidents not only give closure to the grieving, they also give one hope that it is only the worn-out body that dies, not the person inside.
Yes, this has happened to me, often in times of great stress, like when someone else was dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement