Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:24 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,544,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Ok; I'm "only" 48 but I just wanted to comment because I liked the way you worded your thread with the "as you near the mountaintop".

That's very cool that you are rejecting the "over the hill" analogy in favor of the "mountaintop". Nice; I like it!
Here here! I agree! I like it and I'm going to adopt it! And, getting to that mountain top can indeed be a challenge.
My mom would often quote the saying, "old age aint for sissies!", and neither is getting to the top of a mountain!

As for the topic, I'm in my late 50's and aside from some piddly stuff, pretty healthy over all.
When I think of many of my family members it seems I have to move the numbers of 70 to 80, over to 80 to 90! My mom was a firecracker up to 80! Stubborn as a goat, bright eyed and bushytailed. At 81 she started having some problems. She was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and also had a bout with colon cancer. She was quite a character though and when she was on the gurney about to be wheeled in for her operation, there she was putting on her eyebrows! Lol!
Anyway, she had another few good years, slowing down a bit, but at 88, she needed a pacemaker. Seems that was the beginning of the end and she really started to wear out. Over the next couple of years she was diagnosed with Macular degeneration in her eyes and that frustrated her a lot. Then dementia started setting in and then she had a stroke. She held on for a little while and then passed not long before her 91st birthday.

Most of my uncles were kicking their heels into their 80's and passed right before 90.
My older brother just turned 80, still rides a bike, chops wood for his fire... I swear he seems like he's not a day over 60 sometimes!

Anyway, most of my relatives have been pretty healthy to old age... however, instead of long drawn out illnesses, a few, including my father was taken early (in their 50's) from heart attack, although obvious contributing factors came into play like smoking, over drink and a sedentary lifestyle.

Okay, that's enough from me!
Interesting thread!
Best regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement