Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:26 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

I'm a decade and a half from retirement (hopefully, anyway) and I love threads like this because it encourages me to keep going with my perpetual purge. We moved at the end of 2014, and despite the fact that this is a larger house, I still got rid of a good 1/3 of everything before that move. I'm continuing to plug away on an ongoing basis, with the idea that by the time I'm ready to sell this house and downsize into retirement, I'll have most of the work already done. And I love my new decluttered house - I'm not even remotely minimalist but still trying to make sure everything is organized and has a place to be put away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:39 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
We got rid of everything except our clothes, electronics, and art. The kids didn't want the family stuff (old family pictures and antiques) and our newer furniture was too stuffy for our retirement lifestyle. We gave away everything we could to family and friends first. Then we gave all that was sellable to the local animal shelter for their upcoming garage sale. The rest went to the dump. We moved into our retirement house with little more than our clothes, art, and electronics. Starting from scratch was liberating!
Old family pics would have been something I would have kept.....

Old 08-07-2016, 02:21 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
In our last downsize, Habitat for Humanity was always at our house picking up something.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
I'm not waiting for retirement. I try to do a bit of downsizing every week.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:17 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Can you give a very brief synopsis of how long we are supposed to keep 'stuff'? Or, the link from where you downloaded the instructions/rules?
Ack! I've looked in several stacks of papers and in my history on this computer. Now I can't find my notes. But I googled IRS rules on how long to keep records and there are a lot of places to look.

Now let's see what I can remember. Copies of tax returns should be kept forever. I don't know why, one can request copies from gov't, but that's what I read. Employee records (if you have a company) for about 3 or 4 years. Some places said 3 or 4 years for most things. See I was looking mostly in regards to company records. I think IRS can go back something like 6 years to review taxes and you have to keep records to back up what you've said that long. Records on real estate, for instance improvements to property forever or until that property is sold and then those years to justify that information on your taxes. Long time also for property exchanges. For most things a few years is adequate, but the tricky part is if you're ever audited, they can go back several more years. If we don't keep paper receipts, at least bank statements showing checks etc. would be good. You have to be able to justify everything put on tax returns.

I'm sorry this is so vague. I had spent some time looking into company records such as dissolving corporations, etc. If one has an LLC or a corporation, just letting it lapse with state is not good. They can come after the assets of the company/corporation for back fees and penalties. So retiring by just walking away from a company is not the way to go; follow your state rules for dissolution and distribution of company assets and keep those records. I did find those papers and forms.

I'll keep my eye open around here if I come across my notes. I'd decided just to keep 7-10 years for most important things. You wouldn't believe how much paper we have here. I figure if I keep the spreadsheets and bank statements for most years and throw away specific receipts, that would be enough backup. We are stuck with keeping other stuff such as insurance policies which have "completed projects" coverage forever. It's much harder with a company. IRS I think has a specific website, I'll go look for that at least.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,885 times
Ok, here are 2 of the places I looked at: for people with businesses, or self-employed (though I found it helpful on a personal level too)
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...i-keep-records

and on a personal level, this bank rate site:
How Long Should You Keep Tax Records? | Bankrate.com

I did read one story about a guy who had to wait 2 more years to retire because SS hadn't credited some of his years and he had shredded his tax returns going back that far. He requested tax return copies and they did not have them even electronically going back that far. How awful!

Well, sorry the 1st link doesn't work but google IRS rules how long to keep records, that's how I found it; at least the 2nd one works!

And I read another story about how not to let our paper get ahead of us, for example Monk's paper-hoarding brother. Remember that series? So funny, however I'm looking around here. Ah, not that bad, but I sure need to get a handle on stuff. Need to do more stuff electronically I guess. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Pat Answers; 08-08-2016 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: fix link?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:17 AM

253 posts, read 235,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Investment View Post
When my wife and I retired (from full time work), we moved to a new place and purged. We through out so much stuff. We used Groupon to find place that would haul away our stuff for a small fee. We gave away things to Goodwill and Freecycle. We filled the trash cans to the max every day the garbage man came.

Every time things were moved out of our basement and given to the trash man or charity, I felt a sigh of relief and joy.

Why did we buy all these things? Why did we keep them for so long?

It would be great if the fellow retired people on this board would tell us their stories of getting rid of things when they retired? (How did you get rid of your junk, etc.)
I moved from one coast to the other. The following are everything I can think of that I kept. Everything else was sold, given away or thrown away (we rented a large dumpster) before I left. I flew to my new home. The dog, husband and computers were on the plane with me. The rest was shipped.

1. the dog
2. the husband
3. the last two years of bank statements and last 7 years of tax returns
4. one bed, two dressers, 3 night stands
5. two portable computers and several CDs
6. one DVD player
7. one bicycle
8. a few clothes, not many
9. one medium box of small mementos

Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I'm keeping my dump truck for future moves. Bulldozer will be sold at auction, after DS 'backfills' my grave.

Living in the boonies is not conducive to garage sales, but I can bury a lot of stuff.

Scrap prices are low, so holding onto 34 cars at the moment.

The handmade furniture can fuel the woodstove for a season.

Kids don't want anything, so numerous treadle sewing machines, bedroom sets from 1800's, heirloom pioneer stuff from homesteading grandparents will go to museums, or be buried.

Bunches of stuff goes via eBay. No one will show up if listed on Craigslist.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I'm not waiting for retirement. I try to do a bit of downsizing every week.
^^^ This is good advice.

You didn't acquire your stuff all at once so getting rid of a little bit each week makes the task more manageable.

Our trash bin usually has extra space now that we're just 2 people. I make sure I fill it up each trash day so I can gradually get rid of stuff.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:35 PM

904 posts, read 667,204 times
We downsized 8 years ago from 3600 square feet to 1800 square feet. We still have things to get rid of. I look at it and say if I am dead would my kids toss it? Then it goes.
We still have 6 years to retirement but I am trying to get rid of extras. When my Mom died 10 years ago, we found 1000s of paper placemats from the Bicentennial. Tons of containers etc, child of the depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement