Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,506,801 times

Advertisements

Not crazy, works for him, fine. As for me, I wouldn't take advice from someone telling people not to get a degree who has a degree. How really would he know? It was useful at the time he needed it. Try being a doctor without a degree or a scientist.

And whatever he does, he's too driven for my taste. Too driven to do something and too driven to do nothing. I'll pass on being in his fan club. He's just too much overkill on his next great idea; makes me want to take a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 12:21 PM

16,151 posts, read 10,833,242 times
I can't get rid of some things. Books: I've gotten rid of a bunch but many I want to "possess" as if it is an indication of who I am or how I arrived at where I am. Family stuff: Yikes...I have five generations of family things...and nobody wants any of it but I still can't get rid of it. Photo albums: Five boxes of photo albums with some from my late wife's family and I have no clue who they are. I'm emotionally bound to some of this stuff.

I downsized 1000 sq. ft. to a smaller house and disposed of a lot of stuff but I could probably still get rid of about 30-50% of what I have.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,450,325 times
It's really sad no one wants family heirlooms any more. That is a "no" vote for the future.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 PM

19 posts, read 9,975 times
We are just starting to try to clear out our 5000 sq ft 5-bedroom home with basement,attic, 3-car garage with storage. Kids are grown and scattered across the globe. They live in tiny spaces and can't imagine wanting big antique furniture, huge oil portraits of ancestors. And don't even get me started about heirloom China, crystal and silver! So, the dumpster is arriving tomorrow and we are committing 2 full days each week to work on de cluttering projects. We would like to get the house on the market next spring but that might be unrealistic. Not sure where we are going but our next home will definitely be a lot smaller and we will have a lot fewer things. I feel weighed down by all this stuff. So I'll be glad to see it go. It served its purpose but now we need a lot less. Our problem is compounded by the fact that we inherited a ton of stuff we didn't want or need from decreased relatives. My DH is a bit of a collector of odds and ends but hoping we can dig out and start fresh. Any suggestions on where we can donate stuff like furniture and art and books is welcome. I don't think garage sales are going to be worth the time for us and I've heard bad things about Craigslist. I do sell things on eBay from time to time but any advice from those more experienced will be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,231,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's really sad no one wants family heirlooms any more. That is a "no" vote for the future.
That is not true for all families.

My children & nieces & nephews almost all want items from their grandparents & great-grandparents. In fact, there are a number of items that multiple people in the younger generations want. Nothing is expensive or valuable, just old.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:51 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,376,344 times
At some point, I'm going to sell a townhouse condo I own at a ski resort I've owned since 1993. I'm going to have to hire someone with a truck to purge the basement. If I had any motivation, I'd chip away at it over the next couple of years until it's empty but I've been saying that for the last decade.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:06 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,284,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
At some point, I'm going to sell a townhouse condo I own at a ski resort I've owned since 1993. I'm going to have to hire someone with a truck to purge the basement. If I had any motivation, I'd chip away at it over the next couple of years until it's empty but I've been saying that for the last decade.
Buy a couple of Bagsters or rent a dumpster, hire a couple of high school kids and stand and point as they clear it out for you. One of the best things I did when I was getting my last place ready to sell. You can get it done in a day, call for the dumpster/Bagster pick up and have it over with. I can't even begin to say what a weight off your shoulders it will feel like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement