Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:29 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,946,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am 69, female and retired. I have the same sorts of pains that I had at 60, only worse. My big problem is my knees which ache and when they do, I feel old.

More than anything though, I feel tired sometimes when I think I should still have some energy left. I have started taking iron and that has helped a lot. I have a little arthritis in my back and my allergies are awful. Those are not new things, but it seems to me that I notice them more.

One other thing bothers me intermittently and that is poor sleep. I will go into a phase where I don't sleep well, and then for awhile I sleep fine. I have no idea why.

Another thing I have noticed is that I don't rejoice at the thought of air travel. I do it, but I don't enjoy it very much. I think twice before planning a long trip. I think in a few years I won't want to get on an airplane ever. I'm not to that point yet though.

I guess I'm doing pretty good where aches and pains are involved. I have my share but they are more annoying than anything else. Nothing some Tylenol or Advil won't fix. I do need to get to the chiropractor oftener though due to my job. Also a really good deep muscle massage is pretty nice too. I do have an allergy but haven't figured out yet if I'm allergic to Walmart or work! lol My nose drips constantly at work but nowhere else.

I've had my sleep problems as well but, like you, intermittently. If I'm feeling stressed and/or pressured I will have problems. Never have a problem going to sleep but staying asleep and getting enough sleep can be problematic. It's been a long time since I've had any problems and generally sleep well.

I don't like to fly anymore either. It's been a couple of years since I was last on a plane and before that it was so long I can't remember. I do LOVE my road trips though. I was expecting a lot of hoorah when I last flew but it was fast and painless and a straight through flight so no changing planes, etc.. I might do that again, especially if I'm short on time, but would much rather drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,321,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Me too. Particulalry I hate early morning flights. It throws of my entire day because you have to get up early, fight traffic to the airport, and then wait. I also hate packing for the plane. I much prefer road trips now. But we still do it.
We often end up doing early morning flights, and I dread them so! When I was younger, the prospect of an early flight did not affect me at all. Our last plane trip involved an early flight; I survived! And I had a good trip. So--I still do this, but for some reason, the idea of flying is not attractive any more.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:00 PM

4,963 posts, read 2,742,254 times
I just turned 68 two days ago..been retired for 12 years..actually had to go off on disability after coming down with Guillain Barre syndrome..got through that, left me with permanent drop foot condition..no biggie..only real major health problem I've ever had..consider myself lucky..

I ride my bicycle first thing every morning for a half hour..go to the gym every other day for 15 minutes of treadmill, then 15 minutes of weight training machines..stay busy enough around the house doing things I like to do..mostly outdoors..no complaints..life is good.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,598,594 times
So I made it to 70 a couple of days ago. I feel no different that I did the day before when I was still 69. There were a couple of annoyances in the last week, however. I was informed that I need cataract surgery in both eyes and my drivers license was renewed for only two years due to age rather than five. What fun aging?

Old 08-14-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So I made it to 70 a couple of days ago. I feel no different that I did the day before when I was still 69. There were a couple of annoyances in the last week, however. I was informed that I need cataract surgery in both eyes and my drivers license was renewed for only two years due to age rather than five. What fun aging?
I've had this done. The surgery is not horrible. You've got excellent medical care in Springfield. You will see so much better after it is done. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 PM

I thought of a couple of other things that I've noticed in the last decade.

I am naturally pale, but I've gotten paler still! I know that we lose color as we age, but I am surprised to see just how pale I am now. I do take iron for anemia, so it isn't because of that.

I've lost an inch in height. I am really not happy about that, but there it is.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:49 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,470,664 times
You are all an inspiration.

I will be 63 in October. I, too, keep moving because the family gene pool is full of strokes and diabetes and cancer and I want to out run it all.

No medications here other than ibuprofen on days I exercise.

I'd like to lose 30 pounds but I've wanted that for the past 5 years.... so nothing new there.

But exercise is about more than weight loss. My BP, BS, Cholestrol and other physiologically important numbers are NORMAL.

I get inspired by women who are in their late 60's, 70's and 80's - like my mom - who are/were active and involved in life.

I WILL, however, retire in a little over 2 years - because I do know that life is too short.... anything can happen and I'd kill myself (bwah!) if I didn't enjoy the last 30 years of my life not working.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,627,863 times
Two years ago, at age 67, my knees hurt so bad I was afraid I was headed for knee replacement. I remembered that years previously an older woman at work had told me how glucosamine/chondroitin tablets had worked amazingly well for her. I tried them, taking two tablets a day, but not seeing much improvement at first. I'm glad I stuck with them (it was a huge bottle!) because three months later the knee pain was gone and has not returned. I still take the tablets without fail.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:32 AM

16,205 posts, read 7,169,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I just turned 68 two days ago..been retired for 12 years..actually had to go off on disability after coming down with Guillain Barre syndrome..got through that, left me with permanent drop foot condition..no biggie..only real major health problem I've ever had..consider myself lucky..

I ride my bicycle first thing every morning for a half hour..go to the gym every other day for 15 minutes of treadmill, then 15 minutes of weight training machines..stay busy enough around the house doing things I like to do..mostly outdoors..no complaints..life is good.
Sounds good to me!

Old 08-18-2016, 01:26 AM

1 posts, read 683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post

I ride my bicycle first thing every morning for a half hour..go to the gym every other day for 15 minutes of treadmill with <a href="http://zumbashoesonline.com/">zumba shoes</a>, then 15 minutes of weight training machines..stay busy enough around the house doing things I like to do..mostly outdoors..no complaints..life is good.

I was born in 1948 and have just turned 68 too. Been retired for 13 years. There are many things I have just started to do at this age, for example, backpacking to China!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement