Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 05:48 AM

35,231 posts, read 31,587,269 times

Advertisements

I use it a lot as a collective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:35 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,996,387 times
And will someone, anyone, please tell speakers that ending a declaratory sentence with "ya know what I mean?" is a redundancy! If I knew what you meant, I wouldn't have spent the last 10 minutes listening to you explain it to me.

From age 3, I was a voracious reader, although initially most of that was simply word recognition. Eventually, recognition gave way to actually understanding the words after sounding them out and that led to my interest in the root and/or derivation of same.

I call my purse "my purse". Some people (folks) must still call it that otherwise, where did "murse" originate? If I call my purse "my bag", who is to know which bag I mean. After all, there are: grocery, laundry, garbage, traveling, cosmetic, barf, etc. etc. Since there are so many specific items that could be considered a bag, why not use the correct nomenclature and remove the inevitable question, "Uh, which bag?"

On vacation, I use a fanny-pack. I find it much more convenient to have two free hands and yet have my essentials on my person. But, alas, some people (folks) find a fanny-pack to be a loathsome article and sneer at those of us who dare to find it useful. (u no who u r) Just as we find certain words to be useful.

While I completely agree that language is fluid and ever-changing, I firmly believe that unless one knows the origin, one's education has been neglected. And since I'm already old, and most people can't help noticing that, they expect me to say "folks". They'd snicker if I called your folks 'rents.

The effrontery of some folks!

Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,318,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
And will someone, anyone, please tell speakers that ending a declaratory sentence with "ya know what I mean?" is a redundancy! If I knew what you meant, I wouldn't have spent the last 10 minutes listening to you explain it to me.

My take on "ya know what I mean?" is "Can you relate?"

What irks me is Nome Sayin' ("Do you know what I am saying?") popular among a certain music genre.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:13 AM

25,706 posts, read 17,481,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
My take on "ya know what I mean?" is "Can you relate?"

What irks me is Nome Sayin' ("Do you know what I am saying?") popular among a certain music genre.
My wife and I have noticed that we baffle some folks with our "See you while ago" parting. It's a nod to my Cajun roots and is pronounced as one word, "seeyawhalago".

Cajuns take pride in their use of "backasswards" English. I've got a picture of a sign in Louisiana that reads, "Stop, You".

Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,364,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
How about when people say grab me a kleenex NO it's tissue.
While you are at it, xerox these few pages for me please.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,318,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And if any rip, scotch tape them. Granted it's only a band-aid.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:40 AM

1,109 posts, read 902,462 times
My real estate agent thought that "down the Parkway" was strange, I guess it comes from my New Jersey roots, where we say "down the shore," and think nothing of it, along with "subs" for "hoagies," and "soda" for "soft drink." Some of us also say "youse guys," but I never did....

Old 08-09-2016, 07:43 AM

1,109 posts, read 902,462 times
Quote:
That reminds me of "mimeo," from "mimeograph." I remember the smell of a freshly minted sheet as though it were yesterday. That also reminds me of "burn" - as in "would you burn a copy for me, too?"

Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 AM

344 posts, read 418,756 times
Amazing how this thread just popped up and is already 10 pages long. You folks are amazing. I use folks all the time and never think anything of it.

It did cause me to flash back to a college class I had in Florida in the early 80's taught by the long ago departed Mr. Perrin. It was a 3 hour night class and we took a break in the middle. And often to announce break time Mr. Perrin would proclaim "Cokes and Smokes for all you fine Folks"! Still remembering the phrase and Perrin with fondness almost 35 years later!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,589,259 times
Quote:
You think soda is odd, try pop.
Pop is totally explainable... it's the back half of the term "Soda-Pop". The NE took Soda, the midwest took "Pop".

What's truly weird is the places where "Coke" is used to describe all soft drinks generically, as in "Do you want a Coke Coke, or a Pepsi Coke?". That's odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement