Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 10:51 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,418,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
I don't get it. I work with people in their 20's and 30's, and they all use "folks" or just "people."

Nobody I know says "peeps," except as a joke.

Anyway, unless you are trying to date them, what is so terrible about people thinking you are Old?
Yes, the younger folks say "folks", they just don't mean their "parents" when they're saying it. Hence the young millenial's confusion.

I specifically remember when the term "folks" came into use in the mainstream environment -- around the early 90's, I'm hearing an East Coast guy at work say something like, "We need to talk to the folks in Tech Support....". I thought that was weird, then I started hearing all kinds of Corporate types saying it. And it's still around....just not meaning parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 10:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,937,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Yes, the phone book also made a good booster seat at the dinner table. No wait, that was the Sears Catalog.
Actually, wasn't the Sears Catalog a standard issue of your normal, upstanding, outhouse? Both a one holer and the upgraded two holer model?

Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Ice box....Billfold....

Petrol, instead of gas.
Nobody says petrol in America - or ever did. Anywhere. That's EU.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I really think that the vocabulary of the average Joe is becoming very limited. My husband and I still get a laugh about a restaurant encounter with a less than brilliant server (disclaimer: this is not a knock on servers, my mom was a waitress for 35 years).

Hubby: I'll have the eggs and bacon.

Server: Would you like hash browns or home fries with that?

Hubby: I'll have the latter.

Server, looking confused: What?

Hubby, speaking slower and enunciating: I'll have the latter.

Server: What's a ladder got to do with it?

Hubby: Never mind. Home fries, please.

We really had to stifle our giggles.
I actually don't believe that story.

Playing along:

But your "hubby" WAS being uppity and condescending by "speaking slower and enunciating" and deliberately repeating the word.

And you thought it was so clever. Yay let's make someone feel ignorant and point out how we're so much better than them.

I also don't believe the premise.

Never in my life heard: "Do you want hash browns or home fries?".

It's normally one or the other.

I've also never heard anyone say "I'll have the latter" instead of just saying which food they want.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:06 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,308,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, the younger folks say "folks", they just don't mean their "parents" when they're saying it. Hence the young millenial's confusion.

I specifically remember when the term "folks" came into use in the mainstream environment -- around the early 90's, I'm hearing an East Coast guy at work say something like, "We need to talk to the folks in Tech Support....". I thought that was weird, then I started hearing all kinds of Corporate types saying it. And it's still around....just not meaning parents.
THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!

Old 08-10-2016, 05:20 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,404,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
When was that in???
The Coneheads from Saturday Night Live. Also "charred flesh of mammal" (what was for dinner)

Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,344,095 times
Do you believe this one Runs With Scissors: I'm a native New Yorker - When we lived in a small town in North Carolina I had a craving for a bagel, cream cheese and lox. I went to the seafood section at Piggly Wiggly and asked the guy behind the counter for some lox. He pointed to a different aisle and told me to check in hardware. God's honest truth. I knew we had to get out of there before my kids wound up like that.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,409,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'd never say "folks." I say "my parental unit."

What? You mean that's out now, too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
When was that in???
OMG - from the infamous Coneheads sketches from SNL? CLASSIC '70's!

Old 08-10-2016, 05:38 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,778,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I actually don't believe that story.

Playing along:

But your "hubby" WAS being uppity and condescending by "speaking slower and enunciating" and deliberately repeating the word.

And you thought it was so clever. Yay let's make someone feel ignorant and point out how we're so much better than them.

I also don't believe the premise.

Never in my life heard: "Do you want hash browns or home fries?".

It's normally one or the other.

I've also never heard anyone say "I'll have the latter" instead of just saying which food they want.
We say that all the time in Texas. You must be a Yankee.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,067,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I do not intend to dummy down my vocabulary for FOLKS who's vocabulary is limited.
Exactly!! Especially since way too many 'young' folks speak via text v. oral communication anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement