Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 01:59 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I remember those stores being referred to as "news stands."

Overall, I don't care what today's youngsters (anyone under 50) call things. I calls 'em like I always did. "Running to the store" meant the local market (grocery store). Anyone seen a cobbler lately, and not an edible one?
Yes! Not that they call themselves that....they mainly sell shoes but do all kinds of repairs too. I've had the same shoes re-heeled and even re-soled several times rather than buy new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:02 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Do you call it a sofa or a couch?

From the Viking invasions into England we have the choice to say: raise or rear (a child), wish or want, craft or skill, hide or skin.

And after the Battle of Hastings, the French brought a completely new vocabulary to England that has also been passed down to us today. It's why we have so many double words, or nuanced differences between words.

Do you say: Rise or ascend or mount? Ask or question or interrogate? Time or age or epoch?

And remember, a lot of our sayings came from Shakespeare. There must be several hundred we still use today, all over the country.

But I love it when someone uses a work or a phrase from an area of the country they may never have even been in. "Nutty as a fruitcake, burning daylight, it's a dilly, wide open as a barn door in a windstorm, fella, in a tizzy, etc, etc. Instead of making people sound low class or old, I think it makes them sound educated that they even know those words and phrases, and are using them correctly.

After all, those of us that are (sort of) old worked hard to not have a limited vocabulary. Why shouldn't we show it off now and again? Or do you say now and then?

Old 08-16-2016, 05:21 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Do you call it a sofa or a couch?

From the Viking invasions into England we have the choice to say: raise or rear (a child), wish or want, craft or skill, hide or skin.

And after the Battle of Hastings, the French brought a completely new vocabulary to England that has also been passed down to us today. It's why we have so many double words, or nuanced differences between words.

Do you say: Rise or ascend or mount? Ask or question or interrogate? Time or age or epoch?

And remember, a lot of our sayings came from Shakespeare. There must be several hundred we still use today, all over the country.

But I love it when someone uses a work or a phrase from an area of the country they may never have even been in. "Nutty as a fruitcake, burning daylight, it's a dilly, wide open as a barn door in a windstorm, fella, in a tizzy, etc, etc. Instead of making people sound low class or old, I think it makes them sound educated that they even know those words and phrases, and are using them correctly.

After all, those of us that are (sort of) old worked hard to not have a limited vocabulary. Why shouldn't we show it off now and again? Or do you say now and then?
Actually, my grandmother called it a divan. I think my parents said couch, and I say sofa. Go figure.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
I think the OP has made an issue out of nothing. Folks is a generalized term that isn't limited to any age. That is like arguing "People" is an old term. Folks just refers to a gathering or group of people. You hear people of all ages use it commonly. "Hey folks, please exit lane..5" "Please folks, can I have your attention please."

I think this is another isolated issue to City Data, then again so are a lot of issues LOL

Also, I think a lot of perceived "young peoeple" talk is not really "young people" speech. You hear a lot of hip hop terms that uneducated people of all races think are part of normal speech. No, they are not normal speech. They are just normal speech among your crowd. You are not going to attend a real job and refer to a client you just met as "Peeps" or "Homies" No, that doesn't make you old, that makes you educated.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-16-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 06:21 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Actually, my grandmother called it a divan. I think my parents said couch, and I say sofa. Go figure.
OMG, this reminded me of an aunt who used to call her sofa (or couch, whatever,) a Davenport.

"Auntie, have you seen the TV Guide?"

"Look on the Davenport."

The Whaaaa?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
OMG, this reminded me of an aunt who used to call her sofa (or couch, whatever,) a Davenport.

"Look on the Davenport."

The Whaaaa?
Or it might be on the settee!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:25 PM

475 posts, read 318,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are not going to attend a real job and refer to a client you just met as "Peeps" or "Homies" No, that doesn't make you old, that makes you educated.
If it was just one client I think it would be singular.... a Peep.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:29 PM

475 posts, read 318,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
"Look on the Davenport."
The Whaaaa?
There was a company that made sofa's with Davenport in their name. (can't remember the whole name) They were so popular people starting using the word to describe any sofa. Sort of like people saying Kleenex instead of tissue.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Back in the 1980s, I was in rural upstate New York where my friend's grandparents had retired. Their elderly neighbors called the mail truck "the stage".

Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 AM

82 posts, read 80,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Also, I think a lot of perceived "young people" talk is not really "young people" speech. You hear a lot of hip hop terms that uneducated people of all races think are part of normal speech. No, they are not normal speech. They are just normal speech among your crowd. You are not going to attend a real job and refer to a client you just met as "Peeps" or "Homies" No, that doesn't make you old, that makes you educated.

I use what some on here call old fashioned words but in all my years, including when I'm talking to younger 'folks' nobody has ever said HUH? or what? to me when I use my so called old fashioned words or phases. They always knew what I was talking about.
I have a feeling long after we're gone many of our old fashioned words, phases and expressions will still be used by some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement