Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 05:17 PM

95 posts, read 189,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I get it. Haven't heard parents called 'my folks' in a coon's age.
I saw what you did there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 05:32 PM

7,789 posts, read 6,408,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I used folks all my life. Maybe I should revisit youse guys?
Where I grew up "youse guys" was considered Brooklynese, a low dialect.

Here in the geezer ghetto I find that if I address the women as "Young Lady" the response is a big smile.

You know you are in the south when you hear someone say "I hit him upside the head".

A sailor doesn't throw something out, He deep sixes it.

"A coon's age" came from England in colonial days, but then it was a "crow's age".

If you move around enough, all manner of things take root in your vocabulary.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:21 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,605,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I do not intend to dummy down my vocabulary for FOLKS who's vocabulary is limited.
The Millennials/Post-Millennials use what could be described as corrupted Simple English.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:22 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Me: What do your folks think?

Young Man: My "What"??

Any other archaic words or phrases you've caught yourself saying you wish you could take back?
That is better than the four letter word "guys."

Old 08-08-2016, 07:38 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Me: What do your folks think?

Young Man: My "What"??

Any other archaic words or phrases you've caught yourself saying you wish you could take back?
WTF? I used "Folks" today in an email to a group at work. Perhaps you need to look up the definition.
And honestly, I never use it to refer to my parents, and I rarely hear it used that way.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,382,385 times
I use folks and guys - always have and will. Of course, everything depends on the setting.

I do want to share a pet peeve - As a female, I really dislike being called "dear" - it feels so condescending.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:56 PM

696 posts, read 705,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I use folks and guys - always have and will. Of course, everything depends on the setting.

I do want to share a pet peeve - As a female, I really dislike being called "dear" - it feels so condescending.
My friend and I went out to lunch one time, while in our mid to late 40s. Our server, a young man who looked no older than 20, asked us what he can get for us "girls."

Old 08-08-2016, 07:57 PM

837 posts, read 1,713,621 times
Quote:
It’s not just old fogey words. I used to work at an elementary school. With some of those kids, the only words they know are those they’ve heard in the last five years.
The little ones (and some bigger) are still learning the language.

I remember some college undergraduates complaining that the professor had used the word "ubiquitous." He laughed and told them it was a perfectly good English word. And, of course, it is and so is "folks".

Old 08-08-2016, 08:55 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,913,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I'm 42 and I still say folks and occasionally I'll refer to dinner (my evening meal) as "supper," simply because I like the sounds of it. When we moved from Chicago to Glendale, CA, I started calling soft drinks "soda" instead of "pop". Now, that I am in Washington, I've noticed that a lot of natives says "pop." Oh well, I've been saying "soda pop," to cover all bases.
Interesting. I grew up in Minnesota, but left in my teens. I've said 'Coke' all these years (and always have the wait staff say, "We have Pepsi, is that OK?") and in Washington state, I've never heard the word pop.

I pretty much say what I want. I do think I keep my speaking "youngish" (I'm going to be 60), but I refuse to, like, let myself, like, fall into this, like, habit, of, like, saying 'like' all the time. If there's nothing else that makes a person sound stupid, it's using the word 'like' every other second.

On the other hand, I love using old expressions, like (heehee) 'a coon's age' or 'what the Sam Hill?'. If that makes me sound like an old codger, then so be it. Just remember, don't squat with yer spurs on.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,248,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I do not intend to dummy down my vocabulary for FOLKS who's vocabulary is limited.
I agree. Plus, I don't worry about being old. I have plenty of witty conversations with young folks that appreciate my age and wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement