Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 10:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,509,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
I'm a public sector worker and my salary is not paid for by the taxpayers. Get your facts straight.
Not to forget that we public workers paid the same taxes, proportionally, as everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 10:45 AM

547 posts, read 507,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not that I am not on your side but where does your public sector employer get the money from to pay your salary. Most of us get ours from tax revenues of one sort or the other. Just curious if yours is from grant money which some are etc. Which is a great point if so. Numerous public employees have positions funded by grants etc.
There are thousands of energy related jobs in this country, TVA, BPA, and city municipal power companies to name a few.
I specifically moved out here for a job that had a pension. I could have stayed at a private company and made a higher salary or traveled around seeing the country working for contractors. Good benefits like a pension are the only way power companies are able to obtain and keep employees these days. It's a dangerous job and kids don't want to work outside, they'd rather be playing on the computer.
Like us.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:17 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,629,164 times
I provide a service for my compensation. That service is needed and taxpayers benefit to a ratio of at least 10 to 1 to my cost to their gain.

Plus everything that comes through my area of responsibility initially went through a private company. What they could not successful resolve I get.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
The part you didn't share is that the agency also contributes. And the actuarial assumptions coupled with generous formulaes have resulted in funding level projected shortfalls that are significant and in some cases they will hit the point of no return.
Oregon has that problem. Their original PERS was supposed to be 50% employee funded and 50% agency funded. Each side kicked in 6% of the employee gross pay, and employees dutifully contributed their 6%. However, the state didn't contribute anything. They kicked the debt down the road and promised to pay up when the employees retired. That worked great while tax revenues were going up 10% a year, but a couple of recessions and a stagnant economy had them crying rape. They cancelled the whole system in 2003, converting to an entirely employee-funded 401k-style system, but they still have people retiring who were hired in 1986. I think they have to pony up an extra $5 billion this year to meet their obligation. If they had funded the system when the pensions were earned, they wouldn't have to come up with anything.

You hear a lot of screaming from the USPS about having to fully fund their pension system. Congress knows well that if they don't fund the pensions when they are earned, the taxpayer will get hung with the bill. What do you want to bet that as soon as the USPS has billions of dollars in its pension fund, Congress will figure out how to spend it?

A variation on the same scam is why SS is "running out of money." Boomers paid extra SS taxes for 35 years to fund their retirement benefits, but Congress spent the money as soon as it came in. They issued federal treasury notes to cover the money they took, and congress now owes the SS system $2.6 trillion. They are trying to say "there is no SS trust fund" because paying it back will require raising taxes and shrinking government, but their only option is to come up with the money or default on the federal debt. They are already whimpering because SS is only breaking even and not providing more money they can hide off-books.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Exactly - that's how you get good employees with low turnover. If they can afford to do it then that says a lot about how much greater profits companies like Walmart are getting, at the cost of their employees. Pensions can serve a very valuable purpose but the funds have to be handled responsibly.
Yes, Walmart pays the Waltons billions of dollars a year on the backs of their employees, but they are currently faced with declining sales, while companies like Winco and Costco are treating employees great and expanding sales steadily. I'm sure I'm not the only American who sees Walmart as a retailer of last resort and will shop anywhere else if I can. I dropped a couple grand at Costco last year on hearing aids and glasses. Not only do they treat their employees well, but their prices are 50% of what I would pay anywhere else.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Good for Winco.

I'm currently battling to find out - from Social Security - how much my benefit will be. I work for a government entity that "opted out" in the 1980s. Thankfully, I had my 40 credits and have been able to save over the years.

This decision - to opt out - was made by people making high five and six figures. Who most likely would never need Social Security.

I have many coworkers who have NEVER worked for a place that paid into Social Security. Their paychecks are so low - they may never retire because they cannot save.

When asking Social Security how much my actual benefit will be - I get "it's just a guess" you'll get 50%

It should not be a guessing game.

If I can figure out what my portfolio will give me - I should be able to do the same with my Social Security.
Read your mail. You get a statement from SS every year.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM

37,494 posts, read 61,477,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yes, Walmart pays the Waltons billions of dollars a year on the backs of their employees, but they are currently faced with declining sales, while companies like Winco and Costco are treating employees great and expanding sales steadily. I'm sure I'm not the only American who sees Walmart as a retailer of last resort and will shop anywhere else if I can. I dropped a couple grand at Costco last year on hearing aids and glasses. Not only do they treat their employees well, but their prices are 50% of what I would pay anywhere else.
I imagine Walmart also pays it's Board of Directors pretty good as well. How much compensation did Hillary get, I wonder.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I am with you!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:04 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I imagine Walmart also pays it's Board of Directors pretty good as well. How much compensation did Hillary get, I wonder.
Wasn't that back in 1986-1992? Are you asking in real dollars of 24-30 years ago or current inflation based dollars?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/20/us...mart.html?_r=0

Quote:
In 1986, Sam Walton, the founder of Wal-Mart, had a problem. He was under growing pressure from shareholders — and his wife, Helen — to appoint a woman to the company’s 15-member board of directors.

So Mr. Walton turned to a young lawyer who just happened to be married to the governor of Arkansas, where Wal-Mart is based: Hillary Rodham Clinton.
So next I suspect will be the pay for play suggestion. But then that is another forum and not this one discussion so maybe not!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:05 PM

26 posts, read 39,725 times
Public service retirement for us is 2.3%. So about 69% of salary at 30 years of service.

Last edited by treasuremapper; 08-14-2016 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement