Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 02:15 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times

Advertisements

I am back in Tennessee now and have gone to my local YMCA each of the past two mornings to exercise. Our town has a large retiree population, so seeing a lot of retirees and older folks is not unusual. However, I was really surprised at how in shape and healthy these folks were.

These weren't just a few people walking or people in the facility for physical therapy/rehab (though these services are also offered) - many of them, men and women, were lean and quite muscular. There were probably ten seniors lifting fairly heavy on the free weights. There were a lot of older women running and on the elliptical at a good clip. There were two Silver Sneakers classes this morning - the one I saw was pretty well full.

Obviously by going to the gym, you're going to encounter people that value their health more than those on the street, but I was really surprised by healthy and vital these seniors were and how much more fit they seemed than many people my age who don't take care of themselves. As for me personally, I've walked at least 10,000 steps and exercised on the elliptical and with weights both days - working full time in a suburban area dangerous for pedestrians, I'd be doing well to walk 2,500 steps a day. With heavy traffic during the evening, I generally just went straight home and didn't go to the gym. I feel a lot more loose and limber and just better overall since I have more time to exercise.

Have you found that it's much easier to maintain exercise habits and good nutrition with the extra time on your hands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 02:47 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,457,153 times
Definitely. My routine now includes yoga 4 times a week. I exercise at the Y in the morning 5 days a week and walk briskly 5 miles at the park pretty much every evening (weather permitting in the winter, of course). Now, I normally only eat out when I am on a cruise. Otherwise, I prepared meals that include mostly baked or steamed veggies and a small portion of "Wild Caught" fish. I find that with eating at home, I can control how much sugar, salt and type of fat I consume.

I have no excuse for slacking off.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:21 PM

282 posts, read 382,451 times
I was just are concerned about my health when I was working, but now that I am retired I have the time to do more about it. Exercise walks (fast, 30 min), playing golf while walking the course and carrying my clubs, getting more sleep, etc.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:24 PM

106,760 posts, read 108,973,015 times
we have been gym rats for the last 15 years so nothing has changed.

run 5 miles non stop every other day , weight lift the days i don't run .

i feel like that hamster on the wheel .

it is either this or back to medications for diabetes , high blood pressure and cholesterol . so far the running is keeping me off any medication.

i have been doing cardio for many years but no results like i have gotten once i started running .

Old 08-13-2016, 01:35 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,669,010 times
No, but my inhaler is in my pocket walking around the house.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Wrong assumption for many of us. We have far less free time in retirement. Working hours were simple compared to all the exciting options when retired.

Been a farm kid since day one. Outsoors every hour of daylight, but have never darkened the door of an 'excercise gym'. Wish I had a 24 hr indoor lap pool nearby, in case I had some free time between midnight and sunrise.

Currently on the 12,000 ft elevation road that I did my first 'century' bike ride. I have not been doing enough of that lately, too busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement