Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times

Advertisements

I used to have my own glass studio. I loved working with glass and teaching others. But in reality it's very expensive and my dreams of doing glasswork in retirement had to go! I still miss it and I was quite talented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,612,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Never give up dirt bikes. Keep your faith.

I sold my Harley, not because I couldn't afford it, but because I simply wasn't riding it anymore. This was when we lived in Arizona. It was too hot in the daytime, I didn't like riding on the freeway and I figured I'd cheated death enough times. And no, I didn't buy it there, I brought it down from Alaska.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:11 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,361,308 times
The only thing I have given up that I enjoyed was bowling, not because of finances, but because of my lower back issues.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:18 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,380,403 times
I can't think of anything financial that we've given up. We dine out more and vacation more now and we both love shopping for the home and I love clothes shopping. Haircuts have become more important now that I'm older. Never cared for mani/pedi but a good massage every now and then keeps me happy.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,812,639 times
Downhill skiing. Broke my femur skiing in 1999 at age 40 and haven't done downhill since. I still X-country and snow shoe though. I really miss it and will go again someday. I'll just stick to the bunny slopes.

Financially, nothing. In fact we splurge on ourselves a lot more now that we've moved to a lower COL state, so we can afford to treat ourselves a bit.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:02 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,099,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I can't think of anything financial that we've given up. We dine out more and vacation more now and we both love shopping for the home and I love clothes shopping. Haircuts have become more important now that I'm older. Never cared for mani/pedi but a good massage every now and then keeps me happy.
Like you we have financially given up nothing and our discretionary spending is at will. Saving in retirement is very different from saving for retirement. Pensions and SS make all the difference in the world as they create knowns as the unknown in retirement can be our foe and the less of them the better.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:05 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,812,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Hiking, I never did a lot but did do some and now I take a half hour walk everyday and I'm bushed when I get home.
Working 8 hours, I couldn't even think of it.
Fast hot rods I had most of my life, I am not rebellious anymore, and gas isn't $1 a gallon anymore. And I don't need to show off anymore.
Fast street bikes, hurts way too much even if your just in the mildest crash and takes way too long to heal.
Same thing with dirt bikes, the wrecks I got in back then would kill me now.
Dating: there was a long many page thread here recently that basically said women are independent and have they're own money, they don't need or want to take care of a man. Makes it difficult plus so many don't look to good anymore.
Perhaps they feel the same way about older men's looks.

If I ever found myself alone in my senior years, I would date, but I wouldn't "take care of a man". If he can't take care of himself, he's not a man to me. I would not remarry though. Elder marriages often come with a lot of baggage from the adult children and former wives.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,306,733 times
I'm always changing but not because of money issues, just need less. I now hate shopping. For now I wear a "uniform" for around the house. Grey comfy - not slouchy - tees and shorts. I have maybe 10 of the same tees. If I find something that fits and loos good - i'll buy several.

no need for knick knacks and that type of décor. so no shopping there.

even pared down my food shopping to basic items. we do go out to eat more. too hot to cook even with ac.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:11 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,368,086 times
I'm a scoliotic (spinal curvature), and after fifty years of no problems after a spinal fusion, the lower spine beneath the fused portion is apparently rearranging itself. That is throwing a curve (no pun intended!) into my custom of walking several miles a day. The sciatic pain seems to migrate between several sites, and disappeared completely for a couple of months, so who knows what's going to happen next?

Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
perhaps they feel the same way about older men's looks.

If i ever found myself alone in my senior years, i would date, but i wouldn't "take care of a man". If he can't take care of himself, he's not a man to me. I would not remarry though. Elder marriages often come with a lot of baggage from the adult children and former wives.

!!! 100% true !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement