Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
So if you're in an airport - and logging into a sensitive account with your username/password on public wifi (or even a private account for that matter) - of course you're vulnerable. There are people trolling around airports these days looking for people who are doing things like that. Why take a chance?
You are incorrect. You authenticate with public key technology and the communication is encrypted. I'm just as secure in an airport as I am at home. The risk on the internet is not having a good firewall installed on your laptop. The vulnerability on public WiFi is from hackers breaking into a poorly secured machine, not from them monitoring encrypted/secure web transactions. If you run any of the popular firewall/antivirus packages, and if you take all the Windows updates, you shouldn't have a problem.

Every corporate road warrior is on public internet constantly. Their corporate IT makes sure their machines have all the right firewall/antivirus software installed. They also tend to insist on strong passwords. I can sit in the airport and do corporate email all day without concern just like I can hit my bank and finance web sites without concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Many seniors probably don't use text and don't care to. My 73 year old aunt still has voice only cellular service.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What about seniors with kids and grandkids - do y'all have smart or not so smart phones?

I know several seniors that just go on and on about their grandkids but yet always seem to miss their calls. They never have their phones handy. I don't get it. Wouldn't this wonderful device that keeps you in instant contact with your supposed loved ones be near and dear to you?
That's not the point. The point is that there is a SIGNIFICANT minority of people 62 and OLDER who don't text or have the means to text. I think we forget we're not just talking about YOUNG retirees but everyone who is retired - up to the age of 100! Quit berating them! Find methods that work for as many of the people that are expected to use the service as possible. That's where the SSA failed - they didn't do their homework - they let stupid consultants who were not retirement age develop the plan.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:00 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
I knew they would drop it! What they have to do now is keep people from requiring to change their passwords(too often).

Old 08-21-2016, 01:50 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That's not the point. The point is that there is a SIGNIFICANT minority of people 62 and OLDER who don't text or have the means to text. I think we forget we're not just talking about YOUNG retirees but everyone who is retired - up to the age of 100! Quit berating them! Find methods that work for as many of the people that are expected to use the service as possible. That's where the SSA failed - they didn't do their homework - they let stupid consultants who were not retirement age develop the plan.
The only way they would need the texting service is if they also had an online account. Those hundred year old seniors probably do not.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:21 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The only way they would need the texting service is if they also had an online account. Those hundred year old seniors probably do not.
Why not? There are actually a lot of good reasons why a 100-year-old would be likely to have an online account.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You are incorrect. You authenticate with public key technology and the communication is encrypted. I'm just as secure in an airport as I am at home. The risk on the internet is not having a good firewall installed on your laptop. The vulnerability on public WiFi is from hackers breaking into a poorly secured machine, not from them monitoring encrypted/secure web transactions. If you run any of the popular firewall/antivirus packages, and if you take all the Windows updates, you shouldn't have a problem.

Every corporate road warrior is on public internet constantly. Their corporate IT makes sure their machines have all the right firewall/antivirus software installed. They also tend to insist on strong passwords. I can sit in the airport and do corporate email all day without concern just like I can hit my bank and finance web sites without concern.
Even if I were to agree with you - I - like most retired people - aren't "corporate road warriors". Although some of us might have been in former lives . We don't have corporate IT to back us up (which is why I can't agree with you - I'm on my own when it comes to these things). Also - I'm not sure how a strong password will help you (as opposed to a weak password) if someone a chair or two down from you is hacking into what you do.

In any event - I usually take about 3 air trips a year these days. For fun . I am thinking more of relaxing. Having a few drinks/a bit to eat in the airline lounge before departure - watching "chick flicks" on the flight - sleeping if it's a long-haul flight - stuff like that. As opposed to checking into my SS account . Robyn

Old 08-21-2016, 05:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Why not? There are actually a lot of good reasons why a 100-year-old would be likely to have an online account.
My 98 year old father has online accounts. But I handle all his bank/brokerage/similar accounts for security reasons. When it comes to his Amazon Prime account - I trust him with that. Robyn

Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
An online account with Social Security? I'll bite. What are the many good reasons ?

Old 08-21-2016, 10:12 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I'm a 39 year old SS recipient and I'll tell you from experience that logging on to my personal SS account is such a hassle that I have to call them with all my inquiries when it comes to personal information. And I'm a tech savvy gal. I can get general information and the Medicare website is OK. Sometimes. But even the Medicare website often gives me error messages, saying that I don't exist. Government bureaucracy at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement