Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:25 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
OK for example...we were looking at buying a tuff shed for our gardening supplies etc. It is nicer than we need for shovels and rakes and would have been around $3,400. We have the money but it didn't feel right. Keep in mind, we have bought 2 of these before but sold those houses. I have a 40x50 shop for cars but really didn't want the landscape stuff in there.
Maybe in the back of your mind, you don't want to garden as much?

I've cut way back. I'll still grow tomatoes, but that is about it.

I'm not a yard person. I gladly let others do that unless it's an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:51 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,342,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Retirement, or chosen death, is the stupidest thing ever invented. You should be productive until one foot is in the grave. Puttering is for putzes.
Oh, I'm productive.

I took an hour nap today, yesterday went for a drive to the beach, day before helped a friend...

Old 08-21-2016, 09:51 PM

21,682 posts, read 8,825,750 times
Quote:
Retirement, or chosen death, is the stupidest thing ever invented. You should be productive until one foot is in the grave. Puttering is for putzes.
And you are posting this in the Retirement forum because...?

Personally I think being "productive" is highly overrated. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. But to each his own.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:07 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,058,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
And you are posting this in the Retirement forum because...?

Personally I think being "productive" is highly overrated. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. But to each his own.
Because he's trolling. Otherwise why call us stupid and worthless? Fancy word or not, that's what he did.

Either that, or he's a member of the 'Internet Retirement Police'.

None of those types understand that "retirement" does NOT always mean ONLY sitting on your ass, and staring at the Sun.

Personally, I've worked 42 years now, and I did my share for the man. I didn't choose to retire at the end of September, my company decided that Indians getting paid $6,000 a year are better for their bottom line.

So, get past age 55, and get kicked out the door because they no longer value your service with cheap foreign labor being available. Then just try to find a job with anybody else that pays anywhere near the same as you worked up to. It's rarely possible anymore. UNLESS you work for yourself, in which case you can STILL call yourself "retired".

Old 08-22-2016, 05:03 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,321,447 times
One thing you might consider is to budget ahead. Put aside money for "frivolous" things now and buy them later, when you know you're not short of cash.

As Robert Heinlein said, "Budget the luxuries first!"

Old 08-22-2016, 06:06 AM

7,242 posts, read 9,429,093 times
Quote:
Sounds good while your body is still young.

However, there will come a day when being "productive" is not possible because your body hurts too much. You will have trouble remembering every detail and keeping up with your chosen profession.

Likely, that time will arrive prior to "one foot is in the grave."

So being prepared for that time is a good idea.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 AM

505 posts, read 719,050 times
Hopefully school is starting soon and the bored kids will be back in school!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,981,806 times
Its not an easy transition mentally to go from saving for retirement to spending what you saved. Its reverse behavior and seems unnatural, and weird.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,103,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Sounds good while your body is still young.

However, there will come a day when being "productive" is not possible because your body hurts too much. You will have trouble remembering every detail and keeping up with your chosen profession.

Likely, that time will arrive prior to "one foot is in the grave."

So being prepared for that time is a good idea.

I agree with this. When the body becomes a liability rather than an asset, it is time to hang it up. But I wouldn't choose to accelerate or rush that process. If you are lucky, your body and mind can be fully functional and engaged into your 80s. To leave life and enter "puttering mode" at 60 where you are wasting valuable time with idle hobbies or overvisiting the kids and grandkids to me is a waste. I think you can actually accelerate your own diminishing by idling your life and becoming an observer rather than a participant.

If my permanent daily life becomes something like rearranging my garage, again, planting sunflowers, and watching TV, just shoot me.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 AM

6,846 posts, read 3,435,366 times
Quote:
If it works for you, go ahead and work until the day you kick the bucket. Nobody is stopping you.

For most other people, productive is a subjective term. I don't define it by working or how much money I made. It's about accomplishing things and fulfilling goals.

If your goal for the day is playing golf, planting tomatoes, or just relaxing, go for it. If you feel good at the end of the day, then I would call that being productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement