Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,341,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Retirement, or chosen death, is the stupidest thing ever invented. You should be productive until one foot is in the grave. Puttering is for putzes.
Do you have all your friends and family convinced that this is why you aren't retired.

Well, at least someone believed you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 04:23 PM

20,714 posts, read 16,507,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No, I define "productive" more narrowly. Producing, creating, accomplishing, etc. Puttering and golfing and planting are not productive. Time wasting? Yes. But not productive. Now if you are retired, but are painting or creating music, or volunteering and fulfilling needs, or writing a book, etc., that would all be productive use of retirement time and is worthy of admiration.

But to actually retire, and just watch TV and golf and play bridge with the other old farts and/or biddies, and be undisciplined and out of shape and in "waiting mode", so to speak, is not something I choose or feel good about.

I'm not saying we should pass a law. Everyone should choose their own path. But some paths are better than others. People actually smoke, so choosing the right path, even for oneself, is not automatic and requires effort and good judgment. I think a productive path is better for health and welfare than an idle path. And that means DOING things. You should be goal oriented until your body abandons your spirit. It's the best way to live, objectively, at any and all ages.
Eh...speak for yourself...which you did. Virtuousness is in the eye of the beholder and I'm the best judge of what I do.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:30 PM

20,714 posts, read 16,507,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In MP's defense, calling an activity "stupid" isn't the same thing as calling a person "stupid." This is a lapse in logic people always make on CD, and I wish they wouldn't. It's like hating the sin, but not the sinner. Not too hard to understand the distinction there, especially if you've read the post carefully...

That said, I don't agree with him. Very few people have careers that are so fulfilling and, yes, "productive" that they'd continue them after they would no longer need to for financial security; those who do are very lucky, but very rare. For most folks, true productivity and fulfillment can begin only once they're free of the boring, draining, and sometimes surprisingly unproductive daily grind of a job taken out of necessity.
True, but sometimes it is the poster who is either "lapsing" or being careful to not get dinged by the moderator even though they really are thinking about the person and not the behavior.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,621,784 times
it's interesting to be absolutely terrified of idleness and terrified of unstructured time!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 PM

17,426 posts, read 11,429,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
it's interesting to be absolutely terrified of idleness and terrified of unstructured time!
Uh yes, some people have no purpose in life unless they think they are working on some kind of cure for cancer or a way to turn water into a fuel to power their car. Nice, but I think I'll be just fine without this obsession.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:44 PM

17,426 posts, read 11,429,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I probably could retire in about a year. I will be 41. But because there's no way I could spend the money without feeling freaked out, I'm going to keep working.
And there is your problem. Obsession with money instead of enjoying your life.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And there is your problem. Obsession with money instead of enjoying your life.
Are you unaware that many people earn good money and love doing the job that generates that money? That is not all that rare.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:30 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Retiring doesn't mean sitting on your duff, watching TV, playing golf or bridge and waiting to die. For me it means that taking care of me is my new job. I work out four times a week, have taken classes and volunteered, and I now have the freedom to spend more time with friends and family. I'm healthier and happier now than I have been for years.
Excellent. Working out and staying strong is a valuable way to spend time. Taking classes and learning? Superb. I like old people that keep learning and refuse to get stupid. Volunteering? Awesome. Helping others is a great way to learn new things and make new friends. I can approve your application to successful status, you're fine. I'm good with your approach, which is the right way to live. You didn't retire, you just changed your schedule to better suit worthy new goals. This is much better than transmogrifying into an idle observer of the lives of others and waiting for the eventuality of an oncology referral. Keep on keeping on.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:25 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,570,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
I retired 1 1/2 years ago @ 59. We set ourselves up with very low bills, rental income and savings.

Have been enjoying my time off and don't hardly ever know what day of the week it is anymore.

The problem is, we are having a hard time spending any money on "things we don't really need". We are not used to this way of living and even though I am almost 100% sure we have plenty of assets, feel like I need to make more money.

Anybody else ever go through this?

If you think YOU can't spend any money, I shudder to consider what your tenants must be thinking.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:59 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,341,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If you think YOU can't spend any money, I shudder to consider what your tenants must be thinking.
Now why would you think that?

One tenant is an officer in the military with a great monthly income. Another is a nurse and again with very good stable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement