Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 10:12 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,600,942 times

Advertisements

I think transportation becomes increasingly important as one ages. Many 55+ communities have regular runs to shopping areas and medical facilities. Some towns and cities have special door to door help for seniors and disabled in addition to their regular public transportation.

Depending on neighbors and family can be a huge mistake. We found that even Cabs aren't dependable as they don't want to do relatively short runs in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 10:13 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,360,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I grew up in NYC ...I now live in a town of 700. Originally my vacation home...I thank God everyday I can live in such a peaceful beautiful place. God forbid I get sick and can't get to a major hospital in time....so be it. I am living MY DREAM

So true and wonderful for you. Also grew up in NYC, love it still, family and friends still there. Great for a dose of city when I visit but living there again... no, don't care to. Fear seems to be why many others want to literally live in the parking lot of "world class medical center". I live in the DC area, (so looking forward to leaving in a 1yr 1/2) surrounded by and work in one of those "world class medical centers" and people still die, lots of them.

Last edited by brava4; 09-04-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 10:22 AM

37,518 posts, read 61,561,925 times
Small town.

Low crime so a strong sense of safety.

A friendly community,

Within 25 minutes there are multiple colleges, hospitals, all the big box stores, an international airport and a shopping mall.

Where we bought is dense forest, we cleared an area for a fruit orchard and gardening. We have some river frontage for easy boating and fishing.

After I retired it took us 5 years to finally get here, we have been here for 10 years now and we love it.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,740,860 times
I agree with BiscuitMom. An entire category of residence has been left out.

We moved into town thinking that being within about a half hour's walk of most services would outweigh the lack of rural quality of life. WRONG! The convenience is real and we do take advantage of it. No complaints about that aspect.

But we had to give up so much that is exclusive to rural areas (little or no light pollution, quiet both night and day, privacy, space, fewer lookie-loos around, more wildlife that is truly wild, residents with a more self-reliant attitude) that it is not worth the tradeoff.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:51 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,147,603 times
Big city!

The hustle and bustle keeps you young!

Old 09-04-2016, 11:09 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,465,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
So true and wonderful for you. Also grew up in NYC, love it still, family and friends still there. Great for a dose of city when I visit but living there again... no, don't care to. Fear seems to be why many others want to literally live in the parking lot of "world class medical center". I live in the DC area, (so looking forward to leaving in a 1yr 1/2) surrounded by and work in one of those "world class medical centers" and people still die, lots of them.
I think those concerned about medical care sometimes focus on the wrong things.

For an emergency like stroke or heart attack, time is of the essence as far as arrival of paramedics and/or transport to the hospital. Getting to the hospital can be quite a bit faster in a given small town.

I have no doubt I would get to the hospital faster here than I would in the large cities I've lived in.

Paramedics and hospitals basically all use the same protocol to treat these type emergencies.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:22 AM

107,000 posts, read 109,295,440 times
i like choices in hospitals and facility's . i also don't like how we had it in pa with single lane roads and only usually one of them goes in the direction you want

Old 09-04-2016, 11:34 AM

8,284 posts, read 8,693,104 times
38,000 people. Top 100 hospital and any type of medical care you could think of. Churches of all denominations. Low cost of living (no schools). 11 golf courses(3 private), 7 rec centers, clubs and activities for just about anything you think of. Bowling, tennis, pickleball, softball, bocce, racquetball, 4 mini golf courses, half court basketball, fishing, horse shoes, indoor and outdoor shuffleboard and walking tracks and much more. Any type of craft shop you could think of, usually more than one of each. Lifelong Learning classes, 2 libraries, free concerts in the amphitheater, dog park, bingo.

NFL football 5 miles away. 3 stadiums for spring training, rookie league, and Arizona Fall League within 10 miles.

Small town life in a county of 4.5 million people.

Downside. It's hot 4 months a year. Do the indoor stuff in the summer. sunaz.com

Old 09-04-2016, 11:34 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,937,819 times
A metro area for sure. I tried living in a rural area once and it was not for me. 1) Everything was a long drive, even for a simple jug of milk. 2)Very limited healthcare choices. 3) Few jobs available if I wanted to work, and whatever work available paid to little to be worth my time. 4) Those long walks in the woods or around the fields got stale 5) Not being an outdoors man, I had little in common with the local residents. 6) Very long, cold, and boring winters. And if you did not, or could no longer ski there wasn't much to do in winter time.

I have to admit it's a lot cheaper than living in a city, but there is a good reason it's cheap. I just love living in a place that has something new to do everyday. I don't believe retirement should be when you do less, but when you do more because you did not have time when you were working so much.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:07 PM

37,518 posts, read 61,561,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I think those concerned about medical care sometimes focus on the wrong things.

For an emergency like stroke or heart attack, time is of the essence as far as arrival of paramedics and/or transport to the hospital. Getting to the hospital can be quite a bit faster in a given small town.

I have no doubt I would get to the hospital faster here than I would in the large cities I've lived in.

Paramedics and hospitals basically all use the same protocol to treat these type emergencies.
The last time my wife had a heart attack she was popping the nitroquiks and drove herself to the ER.

About 2 weeks ago one of our neighbors did the same thing. He normally goes through 2 or 3 nitroquiks every week anyway. But when it gets real bad, he drives himself to the ER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement