Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 09:29 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

Or course we could go round and round about the cost of TP vs water....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:38 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
TP - but not as much as if you just used that to wipe your butt. When I was in Kuwait, people were shocked at their small rolls of TP. I guess most had never lived in countries with other modes of butt cleansing.

Think about it - if you were to get poop on your hand, would you just wipe it with TP or paper towel. No you would wash it with at least water.

I am not sure that drying after a bidet would use less paper. Anyway I have a regular solution to the whole issue. I get up, drink a couple of mugs of coffee, do my business and then have a shower. Works for me. It also means I can avoid sitting down or trying to paper a public toilet.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not sure that drying after a bidet would use less paper. Anyway I have a regular solution to the whole issue. I get up, drink a couple of mugs of coffee, do my business and then have a shower. Works for me. It also means I can avoid sitting down or trying to paper a public toilet.
Hey - I do the same thing! WE are lucky - lol. Get that out of the way for the day. Can't imagine having to do that during the day in a public place. Well except when its an emergency when you eat something that doesn't sit right.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
It amazes me that no one ever suggests saving money by eating less food. Reusing baggies, using coupons, BOGO, yada yada yada, that's all fine, but the vast majority of adults in the U.S. are either overweight or obese. Eat less, buy less, save money.

The ultimate money saver - just die.

This whole thread is weird.
For several years, I have realized that saving pennies (or for some of these suggestions, fractions of pennies) is not worth the value of time.

Instead, spend time developing a decent skills set which others can pay you for and assure what $ you have is working hard.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:56 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

For several years, I have realized that saving pennies (or for some of these suggestions, fractions of pennies) is not worth the value of time.

Instead, spend time developing a decent skills set which others can pay you for and assure what $ you have is working hard.
I always head down the middle of the road. I pinched pennies by washing bags, and doing a myriad of other things to pinch pennies AND we did everything to increase our income. Now my penny pincher ways are ingrained, even though we don't need them.

And I don't quite understand it, but washing zip lock bags really is a hot button issue. It really seems to get people riled up. On another frugal living board it was actually a banned subject.

I'm glad I'm frugal. When my dad died young, frugality kept good food on the table. Good clothes on our backs.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:

Towards the end of my working career, I could choose overtime pay or time off. I had put in years of overtime and started valuing my time more than money the last few years. I feel the same about chasing pennies and bargains now.

I'm all for recycling, reusing, re-purposing and saving money with limits. If it becomes so time consuming and turns into a career of sorts though, it may be time to think about retiring from that.

There's saving money/being frugal and being obsessive about it. There is a fine line between the two, like everything else in life.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-20-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I always head down the middle of the road. I pinched pennies by washing bags, and doing a myriad of other things to pinch pennies AND we did everything to increase our income. Now my penny pincher ways are ingrained, even though we don't need them.

And I don't quite understand it, but washing zip lock bags really is a hot button issue. It really seems to get people riled up. On another frugal living board it was actually a banned subject.

I'm glad I'm frugal. When my dad died young, frugality kept good food on the table. Good clothes on our backs.
My hot button issue is trying to get the last remnants out of a bottle. For some reason (except shampoo) I refuse to do that. I was eating some eggs and I like to top them with spicy ketchup. Well all the bottle did was squirt out some watery red juice. I could have taken the top off and dug around, but I refused and pitched it in the trash!!! Bought a new bottle the next day.

Shampoo I can just fill it with water, shake and use. And its not saving money cuz I use Suave shampoo.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:10 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:

Why bother reading it if you don't like it? Guess I don't understand why you would do it.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:05 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
Can I call for a timeout here and get a summary of the good ideas ?? I haven't read all 18 pages, but we seemed to get bogged down in "baggies" for quite a few post in the middle there. Have any real nuggets been suggested ??

We always try to minimize the Service Charges by paying for our Home & Auto Insurance in full. That can save $20 - $25 per year depending on how many payments they are proposing. There's the whole idea of higher deductibles on the cars, and also dropping Collision when the car's value gets too low.

We always keep an eye on gas prices, DW's car uses regular and gets superior gas mileage. My car runs better on premium, so I check into Gas Buddy for best prices.

We've found that a trip to Costco / Sam's Club every 6 weeks or so makes a measurable difference in the Food Bill. At the local store, there's always a savings when buying the cuts of meat that are on sale that week. When Boneless Chicken Cutlets are on sale, buy some for the freezer too. When you're looking for a quick meal, thaw some out. If a cut of Beef like T-Bone is on sale....stock up and get a few extra. If the sale is a lesser cut (Chuck Steak) skip it. London Broil is a cruel joke that the Butchers made up to foist that last bit of cow on the buying public.....
Butcher #1 "What should we do with this last cut of Beef ?"
Butcher #2 "Let's give it an exciting name and really hard sell it."
Butcher #1 "Yeah, a name like 'Berlin Shoe Leather' or something ?"
Butcher #2 "How 'bout something more appetizing, like London Broil."

If we have a Tradesman coming to the house to repair something, I always ask about discount for Cash Payment. That's usually worth 10 - 15% or more.

I cut my own grass and, from what I hear, my neighbors are spending quite a bit on Lawn Services. Always shop around for the best prices on Tires or other infrequent purchases. Be careful about the quality of Walmart -- their prices are cheap, but so is the merchandise. A pair of $10 sneakers at WallyWorld is no bargain if they don't last 6 months.

I'm not looking to save pennies and dimes. I'm looking for real, high-octane savings that are worth my time and trouble.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:16 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I applaud you! Thanks for bringing us back on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement