Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 03:52 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My mom washed out baggies and saved foil. I don't. But she did teach me other things. I use my dryer once a year to make sure it still works. Other than that, I dry my clothes outside. I take them from the washing machine and put them on hangers, then out to dry. Mom taught me to hate ironing so much, I just don't buy anything that has to be ironed! I save all my bones in a bag in the freezer and when it's full I make bone broth for the dogs and to use as soup stock.

I love to make bread but I can't justify it, even paying myself nothing for my time. Bread is a buck at the store. Plus we try not to eat too much bread and the homemade stuff is so good I would be a whale in no time at all! Better for me to have the tasteless stuff that claims to be bread!

I do buy and cook in bulk. In August I got 40lbs of bacon and 40lbs of ground beef from Zaycon Foods. The bacon is wonderful but 40lbs is a lot. If I ever want to order again I will have to find someone who wants to share! Most of what I cook is from scratch. To me, it's easy. Probably the best thing I learned from my mom was how to cook/bake.
I miss drying clothes and sheets outside. Nothing smells fresher ...but with feral cats roaming the landscape...total different odor! Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 04:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I miss drying clothes and sheets outside. Nothing smells fresher ...but with feral cats roaming the landscape...total different odor! Yuck.
Sorry about that odor --reminds me, I've got a fresh load of laundry to hang out. Thank goodness the air here is fresh and clean. I use folding drying racks on the deck. In winter, when I absolutely have to, I use the dryer. I do miss my clothesline from when I had a bigger house and yard--pre-retirement.

I also use the rewards credit cards. Love the ones with lots of points for gas and groceries. You pay it off every month and then redeem the points so you're making a little bit of money while keeping your credit score high.

A vegetable garden saves money and guarantees you good, organic vegetables. I grow heirloom tomatoes and a few other things. Fresh green beans tonight!

Another thing I've always done is to use up old computer paper by ripping it in half or into quarters and using the blank side for scrap paper.

I can't think of too many other money saving tips. Maybe buying nice quality used furniture on Craig's List instead of buying new at our age. Anyway, most of the new furniture is either extremely expensive (and who are we going to leave it to?) or it's very low quality. I still appreciate real wood and furniture that's well made but I am not going to pay high prices for new like I did when I was younger. That same money can go towards travel or something else.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:07 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
OP, is the farmers market really a money saver for you? In all of my experiences with farmers markets, I end up paying a premium for, admittedly, fresher, higher quality foods.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
We buy at a nice farmers'' market throughout the spring, summer, fall. Sometimes produce is cheaper, sometimes not. It is generally more local early in the season,

I really admire the farmers that bring in the produce. They obviously work very hard.

And I love our market! It is a chance to sample locally baked goods, roasted coffee and some handmade items. And I buy local honey there too.

I go for the produce though.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:41 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
I save money by not buying baggies in the first place!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:09 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
When my older sister was first married she and all her neighbors hung their clothes on their lines to dry. At that time my sister and her husband had a golden retriever named Chad that was purchased as a duck hunting dog. Chad had zero interest in retrieving ducks, but he was great at retrieving the neighbor's clothes off their lines and bring them back home. My sister even has a picture of her well endowed next door neighbor chasing Chad down the street after he had retrieved her 40 DD bra off her line After that episode there was no more free ranging in the neighborhood for poor Chad

Old 09-10-2016, 10:44 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
The way I seem to save the most $ is by buying clothes during the pre-season sales and the end of season sales. It's kinda weird buying sweaters and long pants when temps are in the 90's, but the 30-40% off is great!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:00 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,957,969 times
Ways to save.

Buy your Pot in bulk, it's cheaper by the pound.

Download a free code cracker program and hack your neighbors wifi.

Don't turn in your cable box, when they shut you off for non payment, then split off the neighbors.

And just think, in jail you won't have any bills.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:46 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Ways to save.

Buy your Pot in bulk, it's cheaper by the pound.

Download a free code cracker program and hack your neighbors wifi.

Don't turn in your cable box, when they shut you off for non payment, then split off the neighbors.

And just think, in jail you won't have any bills.
Sounds good. Bit I understand making license plates does not pay too well.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:37 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
The way I seem to save the most $ is by buying clothes during the pre-season sales and the end of season sales. It's kinda weird buying sweaters and long pants when temps are in the 90's, but the 30-40% off is great!
I used to do that, but found that pickings were sometimes slim and would just buy because it was on sale.

So I decided that if I wanted something badly enough, I would just go ahead and get it at regular price. I saved money and space. I would end up buying so much of the bargain sales and end up with too many items hanging in my closet with price tags still on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement