Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 01:19 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't own any clothing that is designed to be disposable and that costs me 2.5 cents an item.
Well, like my mother used to say to me while I was growing up in the 50s, even pennies are worthwhile...20 of them will buy a loaf of bread!

A loaf of bread can sustain a person for a while. Baggies definitely cannot.

Oh, and for a while, during the poor phase of my life, I used to re-use vacuum cleaner bags. Those babies can get really expensive!

Count yourself very lucky if you never had to scrimp and save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:57 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Oh, and for a while, during the poor phase of my life, I used to re-use vacuum cleaner bags. Those babies can get really expensive!
Now that makes sense. Some can be easily emptied and reused. They often cost several dollars each.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Little ways you save money....wash out "Baggies,"

yeah----------------don't do that. I had an aunt-in-law who washed and re-used drinking straws. Guh-rosse!!
I think it's a false savings. My wife does it and claims it reduces landfill waste, but the amount of fresh drinking water used to clean 1 bag could be saved for drinking or watering something. She continues to recycle the bags but I throw them out if I know it's recycled and I'm using it.

She has stopped washing the large ziplocks that had meat in it because the greasy bags are really hard to clean.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:16 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
I wash and reuse ziplock bags if they didn't have meat in them. Like if it was crackers I wash it out. I also reuse tin
foil mostly to line my toaster oven. I cut open toothpaste/lotion tubes and use all that's inside before disposing of them.
You'd be be surprised how much is still in them. To each his own. I like to stretch a dollar! And that's why I'm not broke and I have some back up savings.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I'm not washing out baggies for no one! I might reuse one on occasion if, for instance, I took the last sliced tomato and was going to immediately slice up another tomato but otherwise, nope!
Me either! For the cost of the dish soap & heated water down the drain, I can go to the Dollar store and buy NEW ones.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:43 PM

689 posts, read 973,897 times
Not that plastic bag discussions aren't fascinating, but just wondering, does anyone have other helpful / creative tips for saving money

Old 09-12-2016, 08:48 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Not that plastic bag discussions aren't fascinating, but just wondering, does anyone have other helpful / creative tips for saving money
Apparently you also have not noticed the Frugal Living Forum under the Economics section.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:58 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Little ways you save money....wash out "Baggies,"

yeah----------------don't do that. I had an aunt-in-law who washed and re-used drinking straws. Guh-rosse!!

I reuse baggies....I take them along on walks to clean up dog poo!!!

Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
Go check out the local Goodwill & Salvation Army stores for clothes, movies, books and household items. Being retired I have lots of time to salvage through all the trash to really find some treasures!!!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Now that makes sense. Some can be easily emptied and reused. They often cost several dollars each.
Ours were pretty expensive, but then we bought a box of 100 from Amazon for a ridiculously low price, and that will probably outlast the machine. Our biggest savings come from being frugal with the heat in winter. With the thermostat at 68 but only 8am-9pm and heat off at night, we can get the bill down below $300. Putting on another layer or a blanket is easy. We also save a lot by buying food in quantity when things we use are on sale, and having a large freezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement