Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:39 PM

37,550 posts, read 61,609,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, Washington and Nevada have no state income tax, IIRC Arizona does.
I would never settle in a state where I had to pay income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,623,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would never settle in a state where I had to pay income taxes.

Government will get its money one way or another. For you, a state income tax shouldn't be an issue in any state, based on your retirement income. It's a much bigger issue for me. My federal income tax burden alone is over $20k. Moving back to Alaska from Arizona will save me almost $4k in AZ state income tax.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:01 PM

162 posts, read 200,397 times
Hubby retires in April and we're headed to Washington state. Our top areas?
1. Olympia
2. Tumwater
3. Lacey

We'd love to try Bellingham or the San Juans but housing prices are higher there

Old 09-21-2016, 12:32 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,433,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It is and it's very nice but Cleveland won out for a couple of reasons that the other choices didn't offer. First, it's close to cousins in Chicago and my sister in Toronto. Second there's the Cleveland Clinic which is doing research on a rare illness I have. The weather in Knoxville is just a bit too hot for me. I prefer colder weather.

Cleveland also has more things in the way of entertainment I enjoy although that wasn't a main factor. Nothing at all wrong with Knoxville, I just thought Cleveland suited me better.
OK, so much for my memory then. I thought I recalled you needed public transportation as you had a hard time getting around, and I did remember an illness was involved. So glad it's working out for you!

Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,555,835 times
The list:

Western Washington
Arkansas Ozarks
Texas Hill Country
Rural Pennsylvania
Las Vegas

The win was Western Washington. We wanted green, trees, cooler temperatures, to not have to worry anymore about drought & running out of water. The biggest drawbacks are the people (very hard to make friends), the gloomy winters, & access to good health care.

Decided against Arkansas due to very humid summers & the bugs, especially chiggers. Also, had a very unsettling experience with law enforcement there, who accused us of being drug dealers due to our rental car & they claimed they couldn't find a record of my drivers' s license...doubt that, I came from a big state & had a commercial license. It was a scary & unnecessary experience, & I would never live anywhere with bullying LE goons like that.

Texas Hill Country is pretty, but too humid, hot, buggy.

Pennylvania was nice, but we realized we are West Coasters.

Even though housing was cheap, & Vegas is close to SoCal, it's too big, too hot, & water is a concern.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 AM

30,710 posts, read 19,387,116 times
We considered:

1. Tacoma because it's a gorgeous area near Seattle and not too expensive. Biggest negatives were still 45 minutes from grandkids and the gray winters which we are tired of.
2. Woodinville, Wa because it's a gorgeous community very close to our 2 grandkids. Biggest negative is housing cost and we aren't fond of the gray winters.
3. Medford, Or because it was the nearest area that has a better climate with low wind, more sun than the rest of the PNW and still a beautiful area. Negatives were state income taxes and a long drive to Seattle and grandkids.
4. Phoenix area because we own property there and love the area. The biggest downside was distance to our family in Washington state and state income taxes.
5. Chelan, Wa because it's a gorgeous area not too far from family and still inexpensive. Negatives were very small and slow internet.

We decided on Richland, Wa (Tri Cities) because of proximity to our daughter in town and still close to Seattle area and grandkids there. Also considered were the no income taxes in all of Washington state and lower cost of housing in Richland versus the other areas along with more sun in this area of Washington, great bike trails and excellent gym (Golds). We just bought a gorgeous house that would have been double the price in Woodinville for example.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 09-21-2016 at 02:50 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 06:06 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,396,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Not me. I'll take dessert any time. Especially strawberry short cake. I love strawberry short cake.
I prefer strawberry shortcake.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:26 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,385,190 times
From Cape Cod to Cape Ann, less isolated. Also Tampa Bay area cause snow is depressing.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:42 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,963,908 times
We knew that we wanted to be in Western North Carolina. We considered Brevard, Flat Rock, Black Mountain, Weaverville and Asheville. We have been coming to this area for over 40 years. Asheville won out because we found the perfect (for us), home on the perfect mountain/wooded property. The weather is wonderful-true four seasons, cost of living is reasonable. We have found it friendly and welcoming. There is so much to do, learn and enjoy. We have been here almost 3 years and couldn't be happier.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,065,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Too bad I can't live in all of my favorite places, simultaneously. Retirement is SO SHORT!

Dream locations will be internationally,
South Island, New Zealand is pretty nice , and they even have HC Various climates, very near to each other, NO PREDATORS! Sheep & people graze / recreate / camp freely.
New Zealand's South Island is absolutely gorgeous, but I think that I would have to settle on the North Island were I to retire there; the south is a little too rural. One thing I found interesting when we visited last year is that we were told that 80% of the Kiwis living on one island had never been to the other.

Even though the South Island is beautiful, there are some incredibly scenic places in the North as well, such as Rotorua and the Coromandel Peninsula. I could definitely see myself living in Auckland or Wellington. Coincidentally, the clothes I'm wearing this morning I purchased in Wellington last year.

For a final comment about New Zealand, I'd have to say that the safety video shown on Air New Zealand flights is simply fantastic. Usually, passengers just ignore or pay scant attention to airline safety videos, but not this one. Watch it and you'll see why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOw44VFNk8Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement