Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:56 AM

731 posts, read 771,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Well, in our case we'll be moving from Wisconsin to Florida. So a lot of our furniture is "country"-style, and our house in Florida will definitely NOT be! We have a couple of pieces in our lower level, which is Southwestern style, an armoire and a couple of chests, that we will be taking because our new house will be Spanish style.
But my white kitchen set with blue padded cushioned chairs will be staying behind.
We're taking our bed, but not the dressers which my parents gave us for a wedding gift in 1980.
Moving from Long Island to Florida and doing the same thing! Tired of my traditional furniture and want something different. Only furniture we're bringing is my husband's desk and recliner. Looking forward to shopping for new "coastal" furniture for my new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 06:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
No furniture came with us, as we only fly between locations. Sewing machine was the largest accompany luggage.

I have grown to LUV my 'new2me' thrift store 'finds' at our second home location.

I especially like my 'hi-boy' lazyboy recliner... $5. Perfect color

Dishes, hide-a-bed, antique secretary, spiral turned dinette from 1800's.... It will all go back to thrift store when we move on from here.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,844,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthinraleigh View Post
We made a pre-retirement move from Raleigh to Florida last year, about $5k using 2 Men and a Truck. Great service. We started packing up over a year before - that helped keep it from getting too overwhelming. 28 years in the same house - it was a lot of memories to go through and it helped to do it a bit at a time.

W did get rid of a LOT of furniture and bought new stuff for our new home. That was fun. New home, new life, new adventure. I love our new place and the fresh look it has, right down to the furnishings. Our kids took some of the old furniture, and the rest went to Habitat Restore or a reuse center. We used 1-800-Got-Junk for the final cleanup just before we moved out.

Good Idea!

Enjoy your new adventure!!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,844,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
They also gave us a kitchen table and chairs that we got rid of the next year when we moved. They were incredibly cheap, as are the dressers. The bed they gave us has been in our spare bedroom for about 10 years now. It's not going to Florida either, but the bed we bought ourselves for our 20th anniversary is.
It was a tradition in my Dad's family for the parents to help their offspring furnish their first home. While that may have been affordable in the 1950's, it was barely affordable in 1980. Hence the cheap furniture we got.
I hear ya woman!!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:21 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,670,141 times
I am too old. I just bought/am buying a small home. I was looking for a place to rent when I saw this listed. I (to my surprise) qualified for a great mortgage, and the bank who owned the home wanted a quick close.

Now I am sitting, almost two monthes later, in my empty apartment. I have to leave early in the morning. Two small dogs and I have no idea where I am going. The closing should take place this week, but then it should have taken place last week, so I'm not counting on it.

I have made some foolish mistakes due to my health and age. Made decisions when I was exhausted. Spent money on things that should have been better planned. Knew nothing about buying real estate the traditional way and trusted everyone. Now their enthusiasm has moved on to the next deal and I am feeling like a nuisance.

Yes I think everything will work out. Certainly not in the mannerly order of my dream when I started this venture.

Yes, definitely, I am too old. Trying not to blame anyone but myself. We went to the new place yesterday and it is still what I want, but I can't see getting from here to there right now. It is too far to visit often. I am very tired.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:26 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,670,141 times
LOL I would edit or erase the post I wrote above if I could. It's true but I wish I hadn't written it. I was very tired.

and today, after loading the final bits and pieces of "stuff" on to my truck and driving over there, I find that my self storage unit is closed on Sunday. So now the boxes are back in the house.

My older brother offered to help me move. I said "you are too old to be helping people move" and he said that was the first thing he thought after he said it

Time for a nap and a new plan. I wish I could have found the "single woman moving thread". or just packed the computer

Old 10-02-2016, 03:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
LOL I would edit or erase the post I wrote above if I could........ I wish I could have found the "single woman moving thread". or just packed the computer
We wish we could find it too, but it Vanished! With thousands of hours of valuable data.

A lot like life, poof you are gone. Maybe that will happen with your 'stuff' by morning. Get some rest, just in case it remains to be dealt with.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:34 PM

8,069 posts, read 10,665,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
The beginning of the 60s to late 60s for many people: a world apart from each other.
Thanks for stating this; for a person in my mid-50's, this is good information, but not something I had previously focused on. I am currently contemplating my current "plans", including possibly relocating one last time, and I believe, from what I have seen, you are very right about this often huge difference between 60 and 70. Something to definitely think about going forward.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:08 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
LOL I would edit or erase the post I wrote above if I could. It's true but I wish I hadn't written it. I was very tired.

and today, after loading the final bits and pieces of "stuff" on to my truck and driving over there, I find that my self storage unit is closed on Sunday. So now the boxes are back in the house.

My older brother offered to help me move. I said "you are too old to be helping people move" and he said that was the first thing he thought after he said it

Time for a nap and a new plan. I wish I could have found the "single woman moving thread". or just packed the computer
Hang in there newcomputer!! Moving is tough, no two ways about it. You are doing a wonderful job only you don't know it yet. When you are tired, nothing looks good. Try to rest, try to eat. And the one thing that occurred to me today?? If at all possible, try to laugh, maybe even have some fun. I've been laughing at the ridiculous lately. Better than feeling angry or wanting to cry.

I've been dragging my butt for a few weeks and realize it's not up to someone else to make my decisions (I've been wanting direction lately).

I don't think there is a person alive who hasn't made mistakes and spent money when they were tired, preoccupied, or on overload. Don't beat yourself up for that. You are, after all, still a human being.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 AM

6,759 posts, read 3,384,576 times
I take early retirement next spring and we have been talking about relocating for several years. We are now getting the house ready for sale making some minor upgrades and improvements. The problem is my wife is not decisive and will make every excuse to put this off. I have already worked an extra year and will not work after April 1st no matter what. I want to sell the house and be out of here as soon as possible after that date. She knows that.

Now she is saying wait until fall. Well I know her well enough to know what waiting until fall means. When fall comes around there will be another excuse. And another one after that. The funny thing is that I believe she wants to do this but is just afraid to pull the trigger. I'm not an impulsive person, but enough is enough, and this is creating some problems.

As it relates to this subject, I want to do this while we're still able to do it and enjoy it. They longer we wait, the more difficult it will become. I just wish I could convince her of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement