Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times

Advertisements

Have helped 3 retirees move over 2500 miles, 4 rental truck loads in one instance, 3 in others. Usually we have only had a couple 'old-timers' to pack, load, drive, and unload. All moves have had a lot of heavy tools, several cars / trucks / boats and a 2 had pianos.

(I would never do that $$$ + TIME 40 hrs driving each one-way).

I have always had great service with U-ship.com, but it has become quite expensive (U-ship takes a huge cut).

I will sell, rather than haul most my stuff, my Antiques are fairly light, since most arrived via covered wagon....

I have a semi-truck, so what fits will go, fuel is only 'extra' expense (semi Trucks are not cheap to own, license, maintain, or insure). If I ever had a car worth saving, it would get transported via U-ship, or hire a driver / combine a tourist trip.

I prefer to help others move. It is not so fun to move yourself. I have never been 'young-enough' to move...

DS loves to pack, that is a good thing, and a great career (Senior Transitions / relocation services is a HUGE business / franchise)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 11:04 AM

16,296 posts, read 10,444,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Have helped 3 retirees move over 2500 miles, 4 rental truck loads in one instance, 3 in others. Usually we have only had a couple 'old-timers' to pack, load, drive, and unload. All moves have had a lot of heavy tools, several cars / trucks / boats and a 2 had pianos.

(I would never do that $$$ + TIME 40 hrs driving each one-way).

I have always had great service with U-ship.com, but it has become quite expensive (U-ship takes a huge cut).

I will sell, rather than haul most my stuff, my Antiques are fairly light, since most arrived via covered wagon....

I have a semi-truck, so what fits will go, fuel is only 'extra' expense (semi Trucks are not cheap to own, license, maintain, or insure). If I ever had a car worth saving, it would get transported via U-ship, or hire a driver / combine a tourist trip.

I prefer to help others move. It is not so fun to move yourself. I have never been 'young-enough' to move...

DS loves to pack, that is a good thing, and a great career (Senior Transitions / relocation services is a HUGE business / franchise)
4 truckloads? Holy Crap!

Old 09-23-2016, 11:41 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,846 times
It sounds like maybe using POD's is more expensive than using regular moving companies in some instances? no? yes?

When one moves within the same city, smaller moving companies such as 'Two Men and a Truck' are good.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-23-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 11:41 AM

7,052 posts, read 6,316,197 times
This thread has been so helpful for me. I have some really decent furniture that I was up in the air about & those I will move when/if I decide to move. I had never thought of hiring young people to load/unload & with your help am looking into pods vs a moving company. I'm no where near ready yet, but each time I look here I learn something new.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 PM

16,398 posts, read 30,317,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This thread has been so helpful for me. I have some really decent furniture that I was up in the air about & those I will move when/if I decide to move. I had never thought of hiring young people to load/unload & with your help am looking into pods vs a moving company. I'm no where near ready yet, but each time I look here I learn something new.

Do realize that when you self-pack, you assume the responsibility for any damage that happens to those boxes that you handled.

On my move, we did pack all of our clothing and books. The risk of damage was minimal. However, we had the moving company pack all of the fragile items.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,726,673 times
I've helped a lot of my friends move... many back in my 20's... so far I have been on my own when it comes to moving myself...

I guess owning a pickup and a trailer made me the de-facto mover.

Still hop to find that forever place but the last few years it is starting to fade...

It has always been a goal to have my 50 vehicle collection in a proper home and not easy to do with today's real estate prices.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've helped a lot of my friends move... ...

It has always been a goal to have my 50 vehicle collection in a proper home and not easy to do with today's real estate prices.
guess you will need to buy one of the several abandoned 'car-museums' in the boonies (NE, KS, WY, OK, TX come to mind...) i.e. Pioneer Village...50 cars is a lot to STASH / assemble into a display. It would be really nice to share your collection / enjoyment with others. Don't wait too long! ( recently enjoyed NZ Classic Motorcycles | Nelson New Zealand)

after only ONE year ....Age / Illness forced sell / relocation, Sturgess to close his 300-motorcycle Nelson collection | Stuff.co.nz
but... to the rescue! Bill Richardson - Transport World / Invercargill, New Zealand is buying / displaying the motorcycle collection !!! Worth the trip. Spring is coming to NZ, make a trip there during the "crank-up'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdNc7KiX1ww

Do it while you're young enough...

Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
4 truckloads? Holy Crap!
As the thread implies... "do it sooner than later".... 4 truck loads was a 70 yr old couple, heading 2500 miles, very simple, and small potatoes compared to the 83 year old couple we moved during 2008 (Took me 2 yrs)

I had to sell / or move; country Home, Hangar, Airstrip, machine shop, 3 airplanes, 3 motorhomes, 2 vans, 3 trucks, 7 cars, bulldozer (broken); and loads and loads of 'stuff'. (over 300 used airplane engine cylinders alone, that was just along the back wall of hangar)

Clean UP!

Old 09-23-2016, 03:19 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,454,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It sounds like maybe using POD's is more expensive than using regular moving companies in some instances? no? yes?

When one moves within the same city, smaller moving companies such as 'Two Men and a Truck' are good.
Agreed. I was actually shocked at how cheap it was for my parents to move across town using an independent local mover. They downsized from a 4 BR to a 1 BR/great room/kitchen in-law suite, but even with dropping about a third of their furniture off at my house, and them having a lot of boxes, it was way under $1000.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:20 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,454,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Maybe the real meaning was, if you have a $20,000 Maytag, you should move it, and not sell it on Craigslist. Because, you need more experience using it, to find out why it's worth that much.

Are Mayfair and Mayflower both moving companies?
No lol........my mistake.....I meant Mayflower.....don't actually know if their is a Mayfair or what they do!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement