Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times

Advertisements

Moving after retirement requires an incredible amount of focus and resolve and downright stamina. I admire those who pull it off. Even with helpers and movers, it can be a daunting task. Without help, well, what can I say. The beginning of the 60s to late 60s for many people: a world apart from each other. I agree, move as soon as possible if there's going to be a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 05:55 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And you're focusing on the wrong part of mine, lol.

To answer your bolded question above: The difference is that you didn't create a thread complaining about the work involved in changing the radiator hoses and warning others not to attempt to do so. See the difference?

Once again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing to perform a chore oneself instead of spending the money to have it done for you. The issue is, has been, and remains, complaining about the time and effort involved in accomplishing the work when one has the resources to pay a professional to do it.
But but but you continue to hammer away with the "you get no sympathy from me" approach when the opening poster showed absolutely no hint that he was looking for sympathy. He was simply offering helpful advise on how much more difficult the process is as you age. You jumped all over him for complaining and looking for sympathy when he did no such thing. That was simply not fair and borderline rude.

You are also assuming they had the means to pay thousands for a moving company when he clearly said " Now some of you, I'm sure can afford a moving company, but we're cheap, so its all our sweat equity we're putting into it".

This just in: some people are cheap out of necessity.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 09-28-2016 at 06:09 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 09:49 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You are also assuming they had the means to pay thousands for a moving company when he clearly said " Now some of you, I'm sure can afford a moving company, but we're cheap, so its all our sweat equity we're putting into it".

This just in: some people are cheap out of necessity.
Yes, I am. It's called deductive reasoning.

You should try it.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:10 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Now no reason to get nasty after I showed you up.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:13 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,841,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We are still between two houses, but what we wanted to keep is in FL now. We used an ABF container that was dropped off, we loaded it, they picked it up and delivered it and we unpacked it. We were very picky about what was packed and we were quite streamlined. We could also take our time packing and unpacking the container with no pressure.

We had a moving company with a relocation years ago, on the company's dime, and they packed everything, from paper towels to a piano and huge armoire. The movers were literally pack mules; I couldn't believe what they could lift and fit through doors and stairways in an old turn of the century house. We couldn't and wouldn't have done what they did when we were age 30.

Now in our 60's, we brought very little to FL and bought new furnishings here, truly a fresh start. Our NE style furniture would have looked out of place here. The consignment shops are full of that style of furniture here. Some is from estates and probably most from people who wished they hadn't paid to move it. We now have a one floor house with a double front door making deliveries a breeze.

When we finally sell the NY house, there are pieces upstairs that will stay behind or be cut up for firewood; one is that armoire. We aren't moving them down a set of stairs that has a turn at the top. Not us. Not in our 30's and no way in our 60's.
I feel the same as well. Once we get to finally retire to Florida from Wisconsin---we are only taking a few furniture pieces but most will be sold or given away. I will only take my sentimental items that will all fit in boxes
No need to overwork ourselves or worry about all that bulky moving junk LOL

Old 09-28-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
DH and I are closing on our home on Long Island in two weeks and retiring to Florida. We have sold, thrown out or donated much of our "stuff". We took the Auto Train to Florida and brought our 2 cars down and flew home. We've rented a truck for our "stuff" and will be driving to Florida after our house closing.

We are moving into a condo that we bought 7 years ago. It is completely turnkey and needs nothing! In preparation for this move we've packed very minimal "stuff" in boxes that are not heavy. Just bringing clothes, china, silverware, etc. No furniture!

We're doing the move ourselves. So far so good! We can easily afford to hire someone with this move, but choose to do this ourselves. The money we save is for our first vacation in retirement! Now if we were moving an entire house of furniture, we would hire someone to do it.

We're not quite 60 yet. We wanted to downsize and move while we are young enough!

Barb
That's awesome!!
Good for you both!! Happy Retirement in the Sunshine State!!

Old 09-28-2016, 03:23 PM

When my father passed away---he had a small two bedroom house on 2 acres but had enough garages and a pole barn to fit at least 18 cars. When he died, he had 13 vehicles. I was the executor of the Will. Not a fun job! He collected so much junk (Junk to me) that is as overwhelming!! I only have one sibling with my Dad. Her and I went through the house and took the items we wanted to keep and also agreed to which vehicles we were going to sell and which we would keep for ourselves. My sister and I decided a few months after his death that we were going to have an "Estate sale". Well, come to find out later my sister thought it was just going to be a "Rummage Sale". This caused a HUGE problem that she did not understand that Estate Sale and Rummage Sale were two different things. She did not come to help with the sale and did not send her spouse or two grown sons to help with it either. (And I didn't live close to the house either---about an hour away) She lived close. So, the weekend of the sale, people came out in Droves!! It was totally insane. If it wasn't for my spouse helping and two of my best guy friends and his Dad it would have been more chaotic then it was!! My Dad had stuff in every garage, on every shelf, in all of the rafters, etc. He had taxidermy stuff all over the walls in his living room, old tools, yard equipment......just too much to list. At the end of the first day of the sale, my sister shows up and asks how it went. I told her "Well, we sold allot of stuff and even all those animal heads, old tools, kitchen junk and ice fishing stuff Dad had in the one garage. She said "Ice fishing stuff??" Come to find out that it was her Ex Husband's and her youngest son's items that she just kept there and didn't tell me about. I told her that this was an Estate Sale and explained what the meant and why didn't she have that stuff removed months ago when we agreed to this? She went crazy mad.......I had never seen her that way. It was such a sickening time in our lives. She called me later screaming at me that I would have to buy the stuff brand new and replace it and then her Ex husband called me and threatened me. My sister and I didn't speak to each other for over a year. We made up after that year passed and all was forgiven and we agreed we both did not communicate well and we were not organized enough to handle it all. My point is---don't leave that burden to your kids. (Unless they tell you that if something happens to them they can handle it all)
We are sure that allot of things walked off that property because we didn't know the value of it all nor had the time to have it all looked over and priced. It was going to be winter soon in Wisconsin and we still have to sell the house and in the meantime, pay for the heat, electric, property taxes, home owners insurance, etc. It was a nightmare.
I will never do that to my kids. Thank God it has been over for about 6 years now. Yikes!!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
We finally finished. We listed the house on Aug. 25th. Contract signed 10 days later. Then was 10 days for inspection and then we had to hire some contractors for repairs. Then we had to be out 10 days later and we closed yesterday. The whole thing had been very tough but we got it done. Storage shed is full of furniture and misc. We also moved into our RV. Now we're mostly resting. I don'T THINK we'd do it again.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Wow Augie, that is GREAT, congrats... get some rest! When / where is your first stop? Maybe a mineral hot springs?

Go remember about 'Harvest Hosts' when you are out and about. I like farm stays in my MH, I often stay and help for awhile.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:29 PM

8,496 posts, read 6,902,842 times
We retired and moved from Ohio to San Diego. We sold almost all of our furniture and a second car. We did have our newer car transported. We used a cross country mover for a couple of couches, lamps, TV's, clothing and various smaller items. It would have cost a fortune to move everything we had accumulated over 40 years.

When we arrived in San Diego we bought what we needed new which wasn't a lot since our condo was much smaller than our old house. At the time we were in our early 60's. I have to say this was one of the most stressful things we have ever done especially trying to coordinate the sale of our old home and the purchase of our condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement