Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times

Advertisements

Too bad this thread didn't come a few days earlier, I would have said that at 64 I feel just fine. Unfortunately I went to Home Depot Saturday and overdid the lifting, resulting in a back problem. Still, the same has happened before when I was in my 40s and in my 50s, so I cannot attribute it to age. This morning it's better, and only really hurts when I first stand up after sitting a while.

I am still working, and normally take the bus to work, walking 1 mile from the bus stop to my office and back. With my Fitbit tracking it, I walk an average of 12,000 steps (5.7 miles) a day. While I do find it a bit more difficult to make it up a long steep hill, and get up to pee once at night, I don't really see much difference from 6-7 years ago. I still get the same 7 hours of sleep at night, and don't ever take naps. When I do yard work, home renovations, work on a car, or other work requiring me to squat for a long time, I feel it the next day more than when younger, but that's probably more by not doing it as often as I used to than age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Has he had an overnight sleep study, to rule out sleep apnea? That can leave you feeling exhausted, even when you get "plenty of sleep." I was sleeping 10-12 hours a day and could barely drag myself out of bed in the morning. Now that my sleep apnea is diagnosed and treated, I feel much better and have much more energy.
Sleep apnea can also cause nocturia, which is different from prostatic hypertrophy but both cause you to have to get up to pee and interrupt sleep. Mine is being treated. I am 62 and feel good but not perfect. Different people age at different rates (and different parts of the body age at different rates) and you can't have a uniform set of expectations.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Curious View Post
Let me clarify my question: Has any of you felt like my dad in your sixties and turned it around and now feel just great?

He does lots of walking and some weight training and tread mill but afterwords he feels like a truck drove over him.
Sleep apnea gets my vote, too.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:26 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,427,685 times
To me it sounds like he may have some mild depression going on..
The same thing happened to my Mom, she couldn't wait to retire and live..

It had the opposite effect, she missed her work and her desire to get up and go, got up and left.
It took about 8 months to fully hit her that something was missing..

Finally she went and got a part time job, it increased her energy and gave her something to do with her time..

Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
OP, does your father take supplements? We all Need help as we age, everything declines..thyroid for sure and I believe EVERYONE would do better taking

pycnogenol and or grape seed extract

which I've been taking for 21 yrs. Started at 57 and I'm 78...never sick and considering the MESS I deal with from hip replacement at 72 in 2010, I do good. Never sick and as upbeat as I can be in a body of pain from the botched surgery. And bodywide arthritis.

I've always been a high energy person, exercised all my life but the hip job did me in and now I do everything to keep from knee surgery since knee is messed up due to surgery for hip.

Vicious cycle.

I have my Sleep Remedy in the Alternative area, check it out. I sleep 8-10 hrs with a couple bathroom runs.

Oh, I had a 10 yr depression going on before I finally got my thyroid supported...it is so Missed by SO MANY MD's. Pathetic.

Check into integrative MD's. for real health support. This includes male hormones which means testosterone, which his tank could be LOW. Vit D too, his D tank could be empty.

I've been taking DHEA for about 20 yrs and it helps all the hormones which are related to aging. Men take DHEA too, just getting to the RIGHT doctor for support. So many suffer at the hands of the wrong MD's.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-26-2016 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 12:41 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default Say what???

Quote:
His doctorS say it is just part of being older. Once you are in your sixties, you are going to be run down and tired.
My neighbors are 60.
They just rode their bicycles 52 miles yesterday.

Your father's doctors are lazy and/or incompetent.

Everyone here who has suggested deeper analysis is spot on.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
Jukesgrrl, you say "My elderly mother, who has spinal stenosis and terrible arthritis in all her joints, has been helped tremendously at a pain clinic."

I'd be interested in what the pain clinic did to help your mother, if you feel like sharing it.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:38 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,725,025 times
I would also suggest the book:

Younger Next Year
by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge M.D.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Pretty sure he didn't retire and just suddenly that week start having to urinate during the night.

A doctor can't just "tell him" he's ok.

There are a battery of tests that are given - extensive bloodwork which shows tons of values (like thyroid) all the way to a colonoscopy, EKG, lung xrays etc.

When I had mine done they went up on a website I could see myself, too. (although I'm politically AGAINST that idea, that's how they do it now). Then they get reviewed in person.

They don't have xray vision and have to see what his labwork etc says.

It has nothing to do with retirement unless he's staying in bed since he retired. It could be something serious that is coincidental like HEART which can make you exhausted.

In the very least he could have a UTI and be dehydrated. Urinary Tract Infection.

62 is young. I go to a Continuing Care Community for work every day and they have 80 year olds playing tennis. MY main client is 92 and VERY active, zipping around on his scooter and going in the car all day long on "errands", visiting people etc. And he SERIOUSLY can't walk well and has COPD. Doesn't stop him.

He's my client because he can't take care of his dog.

PLEASE do NOT "get him a pet". They are living BEINGS that are dependent on activity and ENRICHMENT, not a stuffed animal for you to stare at or entertain you. If he were an animal person, he'd already BE an animal person.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:51 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,994 times
Quote:
Let me clarify my question: Has any of you felt like my dad in your sixties and turned it around and now feel just great?

He does lots of walking and some weight training and tread mill but afterwords he feels like a truck drove over him.
That sounds like a medical issue... I'm serious. I had some physical problems about 15 years ago and one of the symptoms was feeling absolutely horrendous after working out (and it wasn't because I was new to working out -- I had started working out long before that). It turned out to be a hormone imbalance and I was treated for it and the issue went away. Have him checked out by his doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement