Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:23 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,971,688 times

Advertisements

Fortunately, I'm still able to do pretty much what I always did - just do it a little slower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 06:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,917,649 times
The only thing we've hired out is lawn care. Only because we travel for up to 6 weeks at a time and the lawn needs to be mowed weekly in the summer. If we didn't have that travel bug, we'd simply buy a riding mower and do it ourselves on this 10K sq. ft. lot. Our last pre-retirement home was 5 acres and I loved mowing it with the tractor...this when working 50 to 60 hour weeks.

We did everything ourselves when we moved into this home two years ago (at ages 62 and 63), packed and moved our stuff ourselves from AZ to FL. After we moved, we painted many rooms; added/replaced ceiling fans; lots of new landscaping; changed out kitchen sink (wow was that heavy!); updated kitchen/bath faucet fixtures.

Husband cleans gutters and other maintenance. We've always been neatniks and continue to do our own house-cleaning. On a few occasions both recently and when we were still working, I tried cleaning companies and found they didn't clean as well as we did! With no kids or pets in the house, and being tidy by nature, we orefer doing this ourselves. Also, we downsized since retirement from a 3500 sq. ft. 2-story house, to a one story 1800 sq. foot house, which makes housecleaning easier.

Last edited by dothetwist; 09-26-2016 at 06:48 AM..

Old 09-26-2016, 07:22 AM

505 posts, read 717,547 times
Lawn care and snow removal. I probably could still do the lawn care, but I never liked doing it, but I doubt I could still shovel snow. Shoveling anything REALLY aggravates my lower back pain.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,669,831 times
moving. and even packing and dismantling my china cabinet. I don't have dishes but it holds my last bit of "stuff".

It is a treat to myself that I will pay for by economizing in other areas.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Vehicle oil changes, $19.95 w/coupon, cheaper, cleaner, and quicker to let someone else do it for you.
I stopped changing oil too, when I discovered that the dealer only charges $29.95 which includes several other services. With the price of oil and filter, time spent doing the work and then driving back to the parts store to get rid of the old oil, it just isn't worth it. I still do some repairs though, on cars and other things. Most recently I did some welding on the riding mower to repair a broken pulley on the blade drive, and installed LED footwell lighting in one of the cars. The oil changes and brake jobs are about the only thing I pay for that I used to do myself.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,355,927 times
Getting my nails done. I used to work in a salon back in the late 70's and was taught how to do manicures & pedicures. While I do my own pedicures most of the time (occasionally I splurge) I finally got tired of trying to keep my fingernails done with the deep ridges. It was becoming quite the chore and barely lasted a week. I started getting acrylics about 6 weeks ago and it's so nice not to have to worry about chips, polish peeling, etc.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:29 AM

909 posts, read 671,384 times
I can't see my eyebrows well enough to pluck them so I get them done every few months.
Also get manicures and pedicures, I will train to maintain between visits but again, not my strong point.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:52 AM

130 posts, read 134,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
I actually think I save more than the delivery fee by not making any impulse buys.
You might be on to something here. I'm pretty good at sticking to my list, but I won't deny I'll pick up an item or two that's not on the list.
We don't have that service here, and I don't know if I would use it. I actually enjoy going grocery shopping. I've done it since my partner and I have been together, 34 years now.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:12 AM

249 posts, read 267,502 times
I pay for manicure, pedicure, waxing, hair color/cut, housecleaning, yard care, house repair, car wash/repair.

I do shop for my groceries and pump my own gas. I also buy many things online at Amazon.

I love to cook and enjoy big holiday meals. Last year at a gathering a woman introduced her companion as a woman she'd hired several years ago to help her with holiday cooking, they've now become friends. That idea stuck with me for the future when preparing holiday meals becomes too much I will hire someone to come in to help me so I can still have the holiday dinners at my home without too much fuss.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,124,190 times
I can still do everything that I could do many years ago. But as someone else mentioned, it takes a bit longer now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement