Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 02:14 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Almost all the old people I knew when I was younger I either didn't like or they bored me because they talked too much about their health and/or about trivial things, and I still feel that way now at age 63. I would much rather be around someone 25 years younger than I am than someone 25 years older.

Maybe I have been unlucky or just narrow-minded about the elderly, but if I have always felt that way, then why would I expect young people to like or respect or pay attention to me just because I am now "old"? (The quotes are because I honestly don't feel old and I don't think that I act like I'm old, either.)
Pretty much this. I really don't see the need for the elderly to have so much contact with young people when they themselves don't even want to make friends with other seniors! There are so many old people that it really shouldn't matter if they aren't getting much attention from the young generation. Socialize with your age group.

But here lies the real truth. There is ageism everywhere. At the workplace, romance, and even among themselves. Not everyone but from my experience the older a person gets, the less they want to socialize and make new friends amongst their own age group. So they are even discriminating among themselves.

No this is not a shot at the elderly because hopefully I will eventually get old myself. I just don't expect the younger crowd to give me the time of day. It's to be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 03:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Most of my friends have always been older or much older.

I started repairing cars at an early age and then worked after school and summer for a restoration shop... I was the kid decades ago to these guys and still am.

The sad part is I have been going to a lot of funerals the last few years!

Old 10-01-2016, 05:00 PM

757 posts, read 838,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
But don't you think that there are things they know, that you and I as older folks have no clue about?
I think it is a good deal more useful to change a flat tire than to know what the latest "smart phone" is all about. I know a lot of seniors who also know much about technology among other modern knowledge. On the occasions that I speak with younger people, their general knowledge and understanding about their country and capitalism is abysmal. I blame it on a broken public education system that teaches no civics and citizenship. That is just one area. I am not optimistic about the nation's future with younger generations. My father taught me practical aspects of life. He taught me mainly to show respect to everyone I had contact with and especially my teachers. Teachers get no respect now. How many schools fail due to inability to discipline.

I will let the "pie in the sky" folks see a brighter future. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:03 PM

My 92 year old neighbor sold her home of 60 years... she could clean faucet aerators, adjust pilot lights, clean her furnace, etc...

The folks that bought the place can't do any of this... they called a plumber who sold them a new faucet... all that was needed was to clean the aerator.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:20 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
I think it is a good deal more useful to change a flat tire than to know what the latest "smart phone" is all about. I know a lot of seniors who also know much about technology among other modern knowledge. On the occasions that I speak with younger people, their general knowledge and understanding about their country and capitalism is abysmal. I blame it on a broken public education system that teaches no civics and citizenship. That is just one area. I am not optimistic about the nation's future with younger generations. My father taught me practical aspects of life. He taught me mainly to show respect to everyone I had contact with and especially my teachers. Teachers get no respect now. How many schools fail due to inability to discipline.

I will let the "pie in the sky" folks see a brighter future. Good luck.
I had to learn to change a tire on a 5-ton military vehicle, but do I want to change my own now? Heck no.

I do know who and how to call for assistance and make sure I have funds to pay for things like that.

If you can't do it, at least make sure you make enough money to pay someone to do it for you.

Something my father taught me - lol.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:34 PM

757 posts, read 838,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I had to learn to change a tire on a 5-ton military vehicle, but do I want to change my own now? Heck no.

I do know who and how to call for assistance and make sure I have funds to pay for things like that.

If you can't do it, at least make sure you make enough money to pay someone to do it for you.

Something my father taught me - lol.

No argument here, but there are times and places where AAA or other is not showing up. I wonder how many "youngsters" know about having a cheater bar to go along with lug wrench? Honest to goodness, I have known "youngsters" that thought as long as they had checks in their checkbook that they could write checks on their account balance be hanged. But then many of them rely on their electronic gadget to do all their business but if the battery dies then they are clueless from that point on. How often have you heard someone talk about the inability of young people to make change from their cash drawer? I AM NOT BLAMING THEM. I BLAME FAULTY PARENTING, POOR PUBLIC EDUCATION AND AN OVER RELIANCE ON ELECTRONICS and technologies. Oh how I miss my passbook savings account that paid me a decent interest rate and kept me fully aware of what was in my accounts.

Changing a 5 ton truck tire is a hernia producer. Shoot the truck and move on.

I feel for our younger generations. Another poster mentioned the elderly woman who could do odd jobs around her house. I have known younger people who could not install a new door knob with a gun to their head never mind change out a washer in a faucet.

I wish them well but I am not hopeful.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:55 PM

The more dependant people the better for those that can is something I often heard.

When the power was out in a wide area... a lot of people didn't show up to work... they couldn't open the garage door... never mind all have a by-pass feature to open manually...

I was teaching my niece a lot of things because she was naturally inquisitive... my brother put a stop to that quick...

I would rotate tires or do a brake pad change just so she could help... just as my older retired friends taught me... she is older now and said daddy said to just have it towed to the shop... there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement