Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 04:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times

Advertisements

It's getting worse and worse as I age, and particularly bad since retiring (mind space-outs).

In the past few years I've had it with continually losing my prescription eyeglasses. Just lost another pair this week, and memory fails. I was online today on the off chance I could find an electronic tracker for them, and also for my iphone and keys.

I was surprised and happy to find a number of gizmos that not only track things, but people too ... toddlers, kids, elderly who wander off...pets getting lost. (I know, where have I been?)

Has anyone got any of these and what do you recommend? (I don't want to pay a monthly GPS fee)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 04:35 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
I've made a habit of always putting my keys etc in the same place all the time. Keep my glasses on my head. Maybe you could get those chain things for your glasses?

Old 10-01-2016, 07:09 PM

306 posts, read 416,664 times
I can't help with the glasses as I need to wear my to see anything, that means I always know where those are. I also try to put things in the same place the minute I don't I forget were they are and spend frantic amounts of time looking for keys, wallet, etc..

One thing I have started doing since I live in the I-5 toast area for the next big one is put my keys, phone and glasses in a drawer by my bed. That way if the big one hits while I'm sleeping those things won't get thrown somewhere and i can't find them
in the rubble .

Old 10-01-2016, 10:27 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
Goldie Hawn keeps multiple sets of keys thruout her house because she tends to lose them or misplace them.

Many people keep 5 or 10 reading glasses, some in each room. (I do this)

Often what I'm looking for, I cannot find, without a rigorous search

Old 10-01-2016, 10:42 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,885 times
Well Goldie is kind of spacey anyway! DH has glasses everywhere (cheap readers) and he tends to buy extra hand tools because they're always in the wrong place, or misplaced. I recently lost 3 umbrellas in a row. I have trouble remembering to take everything out of my shopping cart when I load up to go home. 2 days ago I left my freebie paint sticks in the cart seat, at least I brought home the paint!

I guess this is common. I have trained myself to clip my keys on the ring of my purse strap before I get out of the car. That has helped. They now sell gps shoes for elderly people who might wander off. I hope I never have to wear them.

I have an awful time with my cell phone. I'll set it down and forget where and at 4 rings it goes to voice and I'm running around looking for it. Constantly. At least I can call it from home phone and keep calling till I find it!

Old 10-02-2016, 01:49 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
I have three pairs of prescription reading glasses. One is by my main computer downstairs, one is by my upstairs computer and one is in my mobile office/van.

When I only had two pair I was still misplacing them but with three it seems almost foolproof.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Many people keep 5 or 10 reading glasses, some in each room. (I do this)

I would need 4.0 reader glasses, which I can't find at stores. So I rely on my two pair of prescription readers, cannot read anything without them. Now I'm down to one pair and a nervous wreck I'm going to lose these. I have good habits with my keys, but terrible habits with the glasses.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have three pairs of prescription reading glasses. One is by my main computer downstairs, one is by my upstairs computer and one is in my mobile office/van.

When I only had two pair I was still misplacing them but with three it seems almost foolproof.
That would be pricey to have three, esp since I need a new script every year. But not a bad idea.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I have an awful time with my cell phone. I'll set it down and forget where and at 4 rings it goes to voice and I'm running around looking for it. Constantly. At least I can call it from home phone and keep calling till I find it!
Yep.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
it might not be old age if you have always been this way. Some people just are. My roommate loses everything. The part I hate is when he asks if I have seen his XYZ. I didn't even know he had an XYZ. And it doesn't help that he has so much stuff and its just scattered all around.

I remember when we moved back here and he kept things behind from the movers. We ended up with a trailer load of stuff to bring back.

When I went through some of it - because of course since it was so important to him - he wouldn't - I found among the things - old junk mail and magazines. I swear his mind is just a cluttered mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement