Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 12:38 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times

Advertisements

I tried retirement twice, once for a year and a half and once for 3 years. Hated it both times. Became a vegetable, you can only play with your toys so much.

Went back to work full time 3 years ago, feel much better physically and mentally. I also look forward to my two days off a week, just like I did when I used to work before.

I have known too many people who couldn't wait to retire, and who died a little while after actually doing it.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 02:10 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I mentioned the health thing. Last night more health related talk amongst us at a local gathering. People going in for tests, awaiting dire news. Having to cut back on activities because they just don't feel good.

This morning on another outing - more of the same.!!! Sheesh - makes me just want to stay in bed, but I think it is better to just stay busy.
Staying busy: best for your brain

Old 10-15-2016, 02:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Me too. I've yet to find an unfavorite thing about retirement. It appears that some of the negative experinces people are describing are not really retirement issues but rather life issues.
You make an interesting point, but, in my case no. For a number of years after I retired I didn't have as many obligations. I was far from family, and I had a few commitments that were not burdensome. I have as many commitments now, but I also have family visiting often, because they live closer. I want them to visit! But I am feeling the need to disconnect from other obligations for awhile. I am not doing things I really want to do, and I am feeling sort of depressed about it. I've been retired for 10 years. I do think lower energy as I get older does influence my feelings of frustration. For me, this is a retirement issue, because I thought after I retired I would have much more me time.

I do think finding the solution is on me. It is up to me to rejigger things, but I am loath to let people down.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:58 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I mentioned the health thing. Last night more health related talk amongst us at a local gathering. People going in for tests, awaiting dire news. Having to cut back on activities because they just don't feel good.

This morning on another outing - more of the same.!!! Sheesh - makes me just want to stay in bed, but I think it is better to just stay busy.

Yeah, I get tired of thinking/talking about it...but I hate that chronic pain & physical limitations have clipped my wings. Yes, there is always someone worse off than I am, but that rationalization is no longer helpful to me.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Yeah, I get tired of thinking/talking about it...but I hate that chronic pain & physical limitations have clipped my wings. Yes, there is always someone worse off than I am, but that rationalization is no longer helpful to me.
Exactly - i'm not that bad off and have the occasional pain and strange feelings, but still. Not looking forward to getting older!!!

Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times
Least favorite thing about retirement (not old age) is not dressing up everyday. I LOVE clothes/shoes/purses and find it impossible to stop buying them. So all that stuff sits in the closet, some never worn, then in a couple years, donated to a charity. The only good thing about working was being able to put together my outfits. (and don't advise dressing up at home - I have 2 acres and do lots of work and my yard/house clothes are all trashed and stained)

Old 10-26-2016, 07:40 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Least favorite thing about retirement (not old age) is not dressing up everyday. I LOVE clothes/shoes/purses and find it impossible to stop buying them. So all that stuff sits in the closet, some never worn, then in a couple years, donated to a charity. The only good thing about working was being able to put together my outfits. (and don't advise dressing up at home - I have 2 acres and do lots of work and my yard/house clothes are all trashed and stained)
Buy nice work around the house clothes! I refuse to dress in raggedy things even if I am going to be mowing the grass.

I'm like you - don't have a need to "dress up" - unless you call the occasional funeral an occasion, so I haven't had to buy those type of clothes in a while.

I do like the new breathable comfortable work out type clothing that also functions as my working around the house stuff. I hate regular t-shirts.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:33 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I hear ya...where I work jeans and a t-shirt are common, but every once in awhile I like to dress up too. however, once I retire and move to Florida, it's ALL going! Shorts and flip-flops for me!! WOO HOO!!

Old 10-26-2016, 01:29 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,868,668 times
Retirement: half the income, twice the husband.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Retirement: half the income, twice the husband.
So true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement