Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM

36 posts, read 183,933 times

Advertisements

Except for the humidity, I am getting fascinated by The Villages!!!

I hope someone who has lived there the five or more years will share their experiences with Bette and the rest of us.

Anyone know what would happen if one's spouse passed away and the surviving spouse was considerably under 55??? Would she be allowed to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushFyre View Post

I hope someone who has lived there the five or more years will share their experiences with Bette and the rest of us.

Anyone know what would happen if one's spouse passed away and the surviving spouse was considerably under 55??? Would she be allowed to stay?
I am under 55 and I asked that question. It was yes. And, we could buy now even though we are not 55. Most of the communities will also allow children (ours are 23 and 19) - the 19 year old may be with us from time to time - he is in college. We would keep our Boca Raton home. We have a business in Boca Raton but I would like to try to do some of it remotely. I actually think my husband would love The Villages but we've only been there once so far. I understand that people reach out to others in a way that I haven't seen in a while.

Share your experiences!! Keep this going....

I don't know about others but my husband and I have worked for 25 years, almost 7 days a week, nights and weekends also and where we move to - we just want to have some fun!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 AM

36 posts, read 183,933 times
Default Thx

Thx for the anwer, Bette, that was on my mind. It would be scary to have to skedaddle right after losing your husband! I'd just be a heap on the floor for months.

I'm right with ya on the FUN! What is that cute saying? "No one ever was on their deathbed regretting they didn't spend more time at the office" --

Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
We stopped by there this winter, and were impressed. We made a point of striking up conversations with random people, to see what they really thought.

I was struck by:

1) How many people enjoyed stopping to talk with me, even though I was a complete stranger.

2) How many people seemed happy about life there--some were even quite passionate, to the point that you wondered if you had stumbled across a salesman or a member of the chamber of commerce.

3) How clean and fresh everything seemed. If this is army housing, sign me up for the army!

4) And, of course, the golf carts. They are too cool.

We didn't buy in the Villages because of worries about insurance and property tax. But if financial concerns aren't a problem, I would recommend the Villages.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
I went to see the villages also-and it really looks neat. I just do not have the income.

met this person from Scotland who lives in the villages, a real nice person.
rhod soutar. or pm me. It seems as a friendly dog friendly place.

also many people rent there homes in the off season. they offer a trial to try it out also.

Last edited by Waterlily; 05-17-2008 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: no phone numbers

Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushFyre View Post

If you haven't seen it yet, I would recommend watching the movie "Boynton Beach Memories" (It might be just "Boynton Beach", it's been awhile since I saw it.)

The movie is relatively realistic about life in Florida retirement communities. Part of that may be because the producer's mother lives in one, and she and her friends were advisors for the movie.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 24,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Miles and miles of Officer's Housing. I have never been so put off by an area in my life.

Huh? I don't know how many military housing units offer 500K (and up if you want to pay it) homes on golf courses and other view sites. There are villas in The Villages that are somewhat cookie cutter but you can find as much housing variety as you need there as well.

Anywhere from 80K to over 1 million

Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM

80 posts, read 348,805 times
What scares me is that there are manufactured activities to go with the manufactured and subdivision homes. I'm afraid that after the honeymoon period, I'll realize that everything is an illusion.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
"Leisureville" has been expanded into a book. It was reviewed in Newsweek recently.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:47 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
When you say that it takes a lot of income to live there, would you mind telling us about how much that would be?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement