Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times

Advertisements

Also, everyone seems to talk about WE..... is this not a good place for the single retiree?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Also, everyone seems to talk about WE..... is this not a good place for the single retiree?
Have not traveled there but my understanding is the Villages has tons of activities for singles and married folks alike, you can be as busy (or not busy) as you like, it depends what you prefer. It sounds like a great place to get to know people. There are organized activities, clubs etc as well as personal get togethers that evolve from friendships made etc. I think the terminology 'we' was only used b/c the posters were married. JMO.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:57 PM

80 posts, read 348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
"Leisureville" has been expanded into a book. It was reviewed in Newsweek recently.
This book is awesome! A must read before considering a retirement community.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:20 PM

I think the terminology 'we' was only used b/c the posters were married. JMO.

No, I understand that. It is just that I am not a "we" and would not want to be the only "un-we" in the place.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-12-2008 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 06:32 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
Nancy,

I can assure you......you would not be the only "non-we".
Statistically, we guys "go" first so there are many single woman. Many are quite active and youthful........we know many that say, "Marriage?, been there, done that, now I am enjoying doing what I want, making my own decisions, etc....

It is one of the things that attracted us to central Florida......I know that if my wife was left, she would have an easy transition, with many activities and good friends who would help her.

If I was "left", there would also be the same thing thing for me. An unpleasant subject, but the truth......Bottom line is there are many singles in an area that has many people the same age as ourselves, making a better chance of a fulfilling life whatever happens in he future.

Frank D.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 06-07-2008 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Thank you (as always) , Frank D. (That was my Dad's name so I enjoy writing it.....)

Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,995 times
I have read and been told The Villages is a wonderful place friendly and with many things to do.It seems the perfect place to retire to.
I believe they have them in other states too.
Not sure of expenses involved.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:06 PM

Would you know what other states have these types of places ? It would not have to be on that scale . In fact, it would be nicer if it were not on such a large scale. I did read the book and some of the things that I read ( some of the people there seemed so crass) made me believe that The Villages would not be a good place for me.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
I did go there, and am single, however, I did figure out you need a monthly
income of at least 2500, with a low mortgage to live there. I really did like it, met some people who go there alot, but live in a pulte place close, they visit the village often. They do allow you to try it out. Me, just came back to my place which is cheaper.
But you yshould visit and look. I would enjoy living there, it is fun, and a nice place.

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-17-2008 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 06:27 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
I own a home in a smaller, (3000 home) 55+ gated golf community about 12 miles south of The Villages.

I have also just read the book "Leisureville".

I feel like I have the best of both worlds....I'm close enough to enjoy some of the things The Villages has to offer, but I'm also by owning a home in a different community avoiding some of the things I personally do not like about The Villages. It IS a one of a kind place that if I was there would probably like it.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement