Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,396,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Would you know what other states have these types of places ? It would not have to be on that scale . In fact, it would be nicer if it were not on such a large scale. I did read the book and some of the things that I read ( some of the people there seemed so crass) made me believe that The Villages would not be a good place for me.
Many other states have over 55 communities on a lesser scale, they're gaining in popularity all over - amenities vary somewhat but they have them in NJ, NY, DE, PA, GA and places in between as well as other parts of FL and prob. out west. I too read Leisureville and found it interesting and informative but it did make me wonder how good a fit it w/b for us. Friends of ours live in the Villages and enjoy it but it can get expensive and they don't see their kids or grandkids often, maybe once or twice a year if that. Personally I believe over 55 communities offer a lot esp. if one is moving from out of state but again, I have mixed feelings about it, like everything else, there's pro's and con's and it probably won't be til we actually visit some til we have a better feel for it. A while back we looked at one in a neighboring state and the homes were lovely but in the middle of nowhere so we basically nixed that, it was also very very small compared to The Villages, would prob. like a happy medium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
As far as I am concerned the Villages are hundreds of square miles of Officer Housing with all the rules and regulations you can imagine. This seems to be a perfect retirement place for thousands of people but when the only bar is in the bowling alley and they only serve Budweiser please count me out.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,376,625 times
Quote:
when the only bar is in the bowling alley and they only serve Budweiser please count me out.
Not sure what you mean there, GregW -- I was at a restaurant along the town square and distinctly remember having a "Dirty Martini" in an actual martini glass! LOL

Anyway, my aunt has lived in The Villages for over 10 years and loves it. She's in an older section of manufactured homes. She moved there with my uncle, and when he passed away, she stayed and still seems to be doing OK by herself, at 84.

I drove up there from the Tampa area and the first thing I noticed was it's in the middle of nowhere, FL. Lots of very rural and poor areas along the route. Eventually I started seeing some nicer shopping centers with decent stores, and realized they've managed to build a whole town and attract thousands of people to the middle of nowhere. We visited the town square, which had some lovely stores and restaurants, and then music and the infamous line-dancing by the seniors. There's tons of activities, pools and golf. Apparently there are a lot of lakes in the area, though I didn't see any. But all in all, it seemed like a fun and friendly place.

I do not remember passing through a gate to get to my aunt's, so I was puzzled about the author of "Leisureville"'s saying it was the largest "gated" over-55 in the country. I also remember passing a new elementary school not far from my aunt's -- so who goes there if children aren't allowed?

Anyway, I do know it's very popular with East Coast retirees. It seems that every time someone says they're moving to FL, it's to "The Villages". I don't think it would be the place for me, though, due to its distance from the coast (that's the whole point of being in FL, isn't it?) and any large city, and of course the humidity, which I can't stand. But apparently many are attracted by the golf, which can be very expensive in other areas of FL.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,041,416 times
I've been hanging out at talkofthevillages.com for several months now and have learned a lot about the lifestyle (pro/con) and the people who live there. Perhaps, someday I'll go visit and see it in person.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 87,046 times
Does anyone know the law for The Villages and children. I know what they state the rules are, but that is different then the actual law.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,662,927 times
When I was at the villages last year I met this man who works there, he may be able to help with the
rules since he is in sales and marketing there.
Moderator cut: sorry. no individual names or phone numbers here , or hem could sent you more
information. I get a monthly newsletters every few months, and they do have lots more infor.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-07-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 AM

26 posts, read 63,435 times
Default For a Friend

Does anyone know if there is a gay population or group in The villages, FL? I would imagine with all the the golf and softball there would be, but I have some friends that are asking.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,123,612 times
I would ask in the FL or Orlando forum about The Villages. There are a few ppl who live in The Villages who post there.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM

8,275 posts, read 12,834,623 times
I think you will find The Villages to offer a great deal of activities compared to the other communities in our area that are geared towards the retirement crowd. Solivita is a similar place , in Kissimmee and it doesnt offer as much. There area a great deal of homes available. My suspect from what I see is they are easier to buy than to sell... based on how many are on the market.
When I think of second homes and the desire to make friends I think of nice neighborhoods and doing the many things a community can offer. theater, music, wine tastings, community classes, the museums and so forth. I guess I think of some areas around here that don't have the issues with a poor market but have the access to so much....including the golf that the villages have. Some of the communities have lakes if you boat or fish as well. there are many options.
If retirement communities are teh choice then the Villages is probably the best. in central FL.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 PM

11,170 posts, read 15,964,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Laspesa View Post
Check out home sales at www.TheVillagesFloridaHomesForSale.com
It's an awesome retirement community. It's worth taking a look.
NOTE TO MODERATOR:

The above poster is a real estate agent who has been spamming various c-d boards including this one with links to his website. Please take the necessary steps to ban him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement