Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 02:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Most here know my story of how my union embezzled my emtire 401K and then after getting a non-union and much better job I had to leave after seven years do to ill health.

My ability to live as I once could was gone but I didn't go whining about it. But I made adjustments and am living fine within my means. It's futile to expect champagne on a beer budget. So the idea is to adapt to drinking beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 03:15 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Most here know my story of how my union embezzled my emtire 401K and then after getting a non-union and much better job I had to leave after seven years do to ill health.

My ability to live as I once could was gone but I didn't go whining about it. But I made adjustments and am living fine within my means. It's futile to expect champagne on a beer budget. So the idea is to adapt to drinking beer.
I don't expect you to go over it again, but can you just direct me to the CD link that tells your story?

I am NOT doubting you at all, but I just don't know how a union -- or anyone or anything else -- could embezzle anyone's 401K!

Old 10-27-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I don't expect you to go over it again, but can you just direct me to the CD link that tells your story?

I am NOT doubting you at all, but I just don't know how a union -- or anyone or anything else -- could embezzle anyone's 401K!
Here's a couple of links to the official story. It was widespread over several states and involved various unions. although this mentions the investment firm only, it was always thought, but not proven, that many union heads were in on it. Millions of dollars in 401ks and pensions were lost.

I'll see if I can find my story elsewhere on CD.

Sept. 21, 2000: The feds shut down Jeff Grayson's Capital Consultants

Laborers_LIUNA Oregon Laborers Pension, Everybody Sued

One of the principals, Andrew Weiderhorn, in California running "Fatburger's." He was on "Undercover Boss."

Old 10-27-2016, 03:32 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
wow that is some story . i wonder if that was on american greed ? if it was pension fund money what about the pension guaranty fund ? was it just lost or stolen ? there is a difference

Old 10-27-2016, 03:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
For me it was a series of unfortunate events outside my control... lost the bulk of my 401k because I was never fully vested when ownership changed... losing 80% of the match and profit sharing is a tough pill to swallow... especially having it happen several times.

Being a product of my environment/experiences has made me leary of anything having to do with Funds, Wall Street, Annuities, Pensions, etc... and the reason for heavily focusing my emphasis on income producing Real Estate...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-27-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
wow that is some story . i wonder if that was on american greed ?
I don't watch that show but if they haven't had it on, it would sure make a good story for them. It took 13 years to get a "settlement." My share was $97 and some change. My 401k at the time was around $200,000.

By the time I would have ready to retire if that hadn't happened I would have had quite a nice piece of change.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:47 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
''Self righteous''? Not a bone in my body.
And some one kindly pm'ed me that OP has been an on-going complainer on these forums. Ok, well maybe that explains some of anger and frustration with him/her.
I am neither is self-righteous nor am I an enabler. I just like to hang out on these forums for a little enlightenment, comradery, and entertainment.
Last thing needed is more hate and negativity in this world. That's all I have to say about it.
Look, when someone claims that they cannot own a smartphone because their room is too small, that is just impossible to take seriously.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:50 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:

I have to hand it to you, Minervah. After experiencing such an event, it would be easy (and tempting!) to sink into rage, hatred, and/or self-pity. But instead, you have let it go and are instead embracing the positive.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

That is precisely why I believe owning a tiny house is an awesome idea for low earners!

Old 10-27-2016, 04:57 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That is precisely why I believe owning a tiny house is an awesome idea for low earners!
You can't even move an inch on a smartphone, I can't imagine how long it would take you to contemplate a tiny house project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement