Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,337,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think you misread my statement. Retirement means you are boss to your own schedule, not own boss as in working for yourself. I get to be lazy too, nothing wrong with that. I've earned it.

You're right, I was thinking of an online business where you work largely on your own schedule - there are still trips to the post office which of course sometimes have to be done on their schedule - as opposed to a brick-and-mortar business with regular hours which are confining to one's lifestyle. For anyone stuck to specific hours and location for many years, eagerly anticipating retirement is natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 AM

37,277 posts, read 61,034,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The idea that just Americans wanna retire is nonsense. For most of the rest of the world, work weeks are shorter, there are way more days off, and workers retire with better benefits and at a younger age.

Maybe some Americans just want to try to catch up with some of the rest of the first and second world countries.
My retirement provides pretty decent beneifts.

I have owned a home in the UK and I lived in Italy for a few years. Those are entirely different kinds of cultures. There are many nice places an ex-pat can retire.

Retirement stateside is not bad.

As for retiring younger, hmm, I retired at 42.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,677,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes, because at some time in your life you reach a point where you've worked 40-50 years and are done with it, not to mention many people can't do the physical work that they did anymore when they were in their 20s-40s. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by that survey. Not everyone has a desk job.

Even with a desk job, most people's jobs are so mind numbingly boring that after 20-25 years, you're just on auto pilot waiting for it all to end. Not all of us have jobs where we what we do actually matters.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:59 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,289,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You're right, I was thinking of an online business where you work largely on your own schedule - there are still trips to the post office which of course sometimes have to be done on their schedule - as opposed to a brick-and-mortar business with regular hours which are confining to one's lifestyle. For anyone stuck to specific hours and location for many years, eagerly anticipating retirement is natural.
Um, not that YOU would know, but MANY and I'd say MOST times people who aren't working a set 8-5 schedule have to work HARDER than those w a set schedule because it's often their business, etc.

Again, not that you would know.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:32 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,452,226 times
Quote:
It's about government and (the loss of) property rights.

But this should hardly be a surprise, since government's property rules - which redistribute income from renters to owners - flowed naturally from an unjust Constitution imposed on landless citizens without their representation.
You are a smart person... why not live your beliefs...

I mentioned to you years ago and posted listings for many homes in Michigan under 10k... some were half that.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Inspired by Clint Eastwood, awareness of my limitations leads me to seek the tiny house that will allow me to enjoy a modest lifestyle in retirement, but government would rather I be a rent slave enriching some landlord than own that tiny house.
I think you'd probably even be more miserable in a house that you owned because undoubtedly you would:

1. Eventually not be able to afford it.
2. Not want to maintain it given your history.
3. Be lonely without your fellow roomies.
4. About a million other things.

What does the government have to do with your lack of desire to provide for yourself like 99 percent of other humans? I just contributed a sizable amount to a non=profit, but no way I"d give you a cent given what I know about what you have revealed on here. I assume there's more to your story, but if you won't reveal it, we can only assume that you are super lazy.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I mentioned to you years ago and posted listings for many homes in Michigan under 10k... some were half that.
Iv'e also given him many , many sure proof ideas in which it would be INSANELY EASY FOR HIM TO GET HIMSELF ON HIS FEET AND ALSO OWN A HOUSE (although at this point in his sixties or so why would he want one).

He has no interest in improving himself and frankly, it's too late now anyway. Best to become spiritual and find a reason to get up each day. It won't be because he can look forward to finding interesting ways to spend his money. l

That train left the station long ago.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Well I'm not really looking for a total dump in a totally dumpy neighborhood that would require a full time project to make it livable. Certainly wouldn't want to do a home business with physical inventory there.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I think you'd probably even be more miserable in a house that you owned because undoubtedly you would:

1. Eventually not be able to afford it.
2. Not want to maintain it given your history.
3. Be lonely without your fellow roomies.
4. About a million other things.

What does the government have to do with your lack of desire to provide for yourself like 99 percent of other humans? I just contributed a sizable amount to a non=profit, but no way I"d give you a cent given what I know about what you have revealed on here. I assume there's more to your story, but if you won't reveal it, we can only assume that you are super lazy.

??? ??? Why would I eventually not be able to afford a tiny house? Cheaper than renting a crappy room and the payment doesn't soar every 12 months.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:58 PM

105,977 posts, read 107,921,072 times
perhaps because you can't afford the expenses that go along with even a small house .

get a grown up job first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement