Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:43 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times

Advertisements

Many sites list the anti-smoking laws of states. Even Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah it's idiotic to allow smokers right in front of a building doorway. That is way too intrusive.
Yes but it becomes cultural and in some ways a function of how many transplants there are

Old 10-29-2016, 08:10 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,241 times
Quote:
I am fascinated at this. Here in MD smoking in bars/restaurants has been banned for so long it just feels like the norm. And since smokers are far outnumbered by non-smokers most of us are happy. But it appears as if smoking gamblers outnumber non-smokers in Las Vegas and that is surprising.
There were so many smokers in Las Vegas that I considered that people moved there just so they could smoke.

Arizona has a lot too that hang out in front of restaurants waiting for their table and smoke. Then when they come inside to dine smell like ashtrays

Old 10-29-2016, 08:40 AM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Never have and never will.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:57 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Reading the comments I remember back in high school in the 60's when we had a smoking pit in school, but only juniors and seniors could smoke, along with the teachers.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:10 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Just had a guy walking along the shore line smoking and could Smell it 100 feet away

Old 10-29-2016, 10:30 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
MN seems to have had success with it's program. According to the Department of Health since the initiative was begun the percentage of smokers has dropped from about 22% to about 14 %. Either that or they are so afraid of the tobacco user shamers than a percent of the population is lying.

It is an addiction, you know. Hard to eliminate by just telling someone to knock it off. Probably our old smokers are dying off. Anyone else hardly dares to admit it if for no other reason than insurance premiums.

I do think it's abominable the treatment that is tolerated toward open tobacco users in the state. If they are addicted to the substance they seem to be one of the few exceptions to the Vulnerable Adult Act.

So, now that we have made such progress let's start driving the overeaters and alcoholics underground. Those two groups more than make up for the health care costs of insured smokers. Actually the overweight carry the largest cost of health care.

A comment about, "Yeah, but drinkers don't directly effect me." Look up the statistics for murder, violent crime, lost work productivity, accidents, effects on family and co-workers. In MN the annual cost per man, woman and child of irresponsible drinking was $900 some years ago and the statistics doubled in one several year span from four to eight billion.

The health department has recently released the new biennial report and claims alcoholism rates are dropping in MN. But the number of methamphetamine users is on the rise. (Those folks make great lounge and dining companions.)

All that rant to say that MN is a good place to live if you don't like to breathe second-hand smoke.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:48 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
I work with a guy who is 66, a good 70lbs overweight, hypertension, diabetic, long time smoker. This past year he has had 2 bouts of pneumonia and one bout of bronchitis. He's disgusting. hacking, snorting, coughing non stop.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:56 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
I get it and I feel the same way about being around smoke. And as a respiratory therapist no doubt you saw the worst side of smoking. I get that too. But that's like working in the emergency room, seeing all the car crash victims, and having a different opinion of the dangers of driving than the rest of us. Face it, your view is slanted by your work experience. A bar guy or construction worker will argue that they see smokers who live long lives all the time.

Again I do not expect to win this debate and I am not in any way trying to say the dangers of smoking are not very real. But I completely believe the belief that if you smoke it will kill you simply is not true. There are old people still smoking all over the place.
My FIL is almost 93, smokes like a chimney and is still going strong. Every kind of illness gets blamed on cigarettes these days.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:57 AM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I work with a guy who is 66, a good 70lbs overweight, hypertension, diabetic, long time smoker. This past year he has had 2 bouts of pneumonia and one bout of bronchitis. He's disgusting. hacking, snorting, coughing non stop.
So he offends you on a bunch of different levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement