Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:40 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid in SoCal, the box boys always asked my mom if she would like help out to the car. She usually said yes as she had a couple of little ones in tow. Then came the era of cut rate stores where you even had to bag your own groceries, so offers of loading help also disappeared. It's nice to see a bit of a comeback of such courtesies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 05:43 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
I get asked this question all the time and never feel insulted. I probably get asked because I hate grocery shopping and I tend to do giant shopping trips only a few times a year, rather than run in the store all the time. Often, I have 2 carts and they wonder how I will get them both out to the parking lot.

Petsmart asks me if I need help to the car no matter how big or small my order is. I'd imagine it is company policy.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:51 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
you might be much happier in NJ-

no one will ask you that-ever- no one will care if you need help or not- I have never ever in 32 years living here seen a grocery store employee take groceries to a car for someone.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:59 PM

277 posts, read 365,182 times
I am really irritated when they ask me that. I am healthy and in good physical condition. I usually reply, "Son, I could bench press you twenty times. I think I got this." Another annoying question is "Did you find everything?" I usual say something like "I couldn't find the frozen raccoon."

Old 10-30-2016, 05:59 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Locally, Publix asks if they can help but no other chains do. I am alway quite surprised at the number of "younger" shoppers that use them. I also think it is a break from their routine so many bagger's like doing it for that reason.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:08 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
I laughed the other day when I had ONE very small plastic bag, light and not even full, and I was asked if I needed help.

I was also asked recently when I didn't even bother to get a cart or a basket - just had one item to pick up and disciplined myself well that day .. so that was all I bought. Since the item in question was a chicken in a package with a handle I didn't even take a bag - and I had obviously had no problem carrying it to the cash. I just thanked them and shook my head, no.

It has been years since I took anyone up on that offer but frankly I thought they do that so they can make extra tip money. Unless there is a HUGE noticeable sign that says 'Do not tip the bag boys' I would not trust it is not. No one 'says' anything but they do stand there looking like cabbies when the job is done, instead of immediately heading back inside. That part is uncomfortable for me .. I usually start to dig around for a dollar and when I am done, if they are still standing there, I hand it to them. Never been refused but for a very small order that does seem a bit much and it adds to the cost of groceries. Sometimes however I used my debit card inside and am carrying no change at all .. and that is worse.

They don't always ask even me however (and I am not young but I don't look decrepit yet as far as I know). It is inconsistent where I shop (at several stores). I rarely hear them ask the person in front of me unless that person is in a wheelchair, has a cane, has a lot of groceries and may be obviously struggling. I find they tend to ask more when there is more store staff - maybe they are just trying to stay busy so the manager doesn't criticize them or lay off staff .. who knows.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
I am not offended by the offer, but I am sure it is part of training. Some corporate pinwad decided to have everybody say it every time or be reprimanded. It goes to extremes obviously, like someone mentioned, even for a stick of gum. I have fun with it and ask for help with sticks of gum. I would prefer doing everything myself, checking, bagging and loading. At Trader Joe's we always bring our recycled bags and do the bagging. At Natural Grocer's they don't provide bags so you have to bring them. At Winco you have to bag yourself. I am waiting for the day when you just load your cart then push it out to your car without even stopping but technology is extremely slow.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:19 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
In NJ they never ask. In FL, Publix asks all the time. The person is generally at least 10 years older than me. I always say, "no thanks, that's what I've got him for", and point to my husband who is sitting on the bench waiting for me to finish the transaction.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:24 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I shop at Safeway and asked that all the time. They also have senior discount days which I'm reminded of when I'm at the checkout. I am not insulted by it, and appreciate their service.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
The closest grocery store to me has hired young people specifically for taking groceries out and helping people load their cars. The first time I 'had to allow them to do their job' , I was confused. Now I readily agree to it, and engage with them as we saunter out of the store in these beautiful fall days- and the kids love it. I have come to love the interaction, and I can always bring a smile to their faces, too . Best thing for them? No shopping carts go out of the store- the transport is a specialty cart that easily handles snow, and nobody has to chase carts in the snow when it's 'that season'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement