Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:26 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
this is extreme, but perhaps he could relocate to, say, Florida. I believe in Florida, a person's principal residence can't be confiscated to pay debts during a bankruptcy.

https://www.alperlaw.com/asset-prote...ead-exemption/
I doubt it's viable at his age and income level to relocate to Florida. That's for the financially distressed high rollers like O. J. Simpson and F. Lee Bailey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 05:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
No I am right.

What Happens When a Bank Writes Off a Bad Debt? | Chron.com

It is like this for any business. I had write-offs when a customer refused to pay for the manufactured goods I shipped them. There are things we do to try to mitigate it but I know that if you are faced with an uncollectible debt. It is in schedule C of the 1040 tax form.

https://www.1040.com/tax-guide/taxes...of-schedule-c/
Banks are different, they are required to have already set aside money for future bad debts. When a bad debt is incurred it's a balance sheet item, not income statement and therefore not direct to income. Feel free to review when you have a chance, this will provide an understanding of how banks write-off bad debts.

Loan Loss Provision Definition | Investopedia

Old 11-07-2016, 09:08 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
Thank you, everyone who responded.
Chapter 7 will not work for him. In his state, he would lose his home, which is worth more than the debt bankruptcy would discharge.
The county credit counseling service had said they would get back to him, but they have not done so.
He really needs to reach out to them again.
I would like to get him on some kind of repayment plan even though he does not have a lot to work with.
It is regrettable that so much credit was extended to him, as he is retired. He does understand that he is solely responsible for this mess.
I will continue to work with him to get his house in shape.
Spent a few hours working there today. Wish he lived closer!
I'm determined to help him resolve this.
I understand that the house is in bad shape, but wouldn't selling it for what he can get, paying the debts off, cutting up the CCs, and just moving into a cheap rental solve the problem? If his house, at present, is worth more than the debts, what's the problem? Sell it and get it over with, as long as the mortgage isn't upside down. Please don't say he doesn't want to sell. If he chooses his wants over paying what he owes, he will just go down in a financial death spiral. Tell him to buck up and sell it for what he can get and cut his losses now.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:18 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Banks are different, they are required to have already set aside money for future bad debts. When a bad debt is incurred it's a balance sheet item, not income statement and therefore not direct to income. Feel free to review when you have a chance, this will provide an understanding of how banks write-off bad debts.

Loan Loss Provision Definition | Investopedia
I will not argue with you. I know that banks file tax returns. Yes they have reserves for losses like that. It is just the way of business. Banks and the like are a business.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:30 PM

588 posts, read 463,102 times
You have received a great deal of information about and opinions on what to do for your brother.

I still think you need the advice of a bankruptcy attorney. I want to make sure that your brother's house is not sold as creditor debt. He may be able to protect the house until he dies. Then the estate would be called insolvent, the house sold to pay off any debt, the attorney and his funeral. Not in that order...the order is attorney fees, funeral and then debt.

I do not think a social worker is what you need now. You need someone that really knows the system and how to work it in your favor. Do not and I mean! Do not make a deal with the debtors without consulting an attorney. You will get a much better deal if the attorney negotiates the deal. Trust me of this one. One letter with an attorney's letter head can really sweeten the deal in your favor.

CCC do not want to have an attorney in the mix. They know you have on your side someone that will cost them time, money and energy on useless debt repayment. They know your brother isn't going to pay them and they have already been paid in interest upon interest. It will be the best money paid to secure the best deal you can get. I will bet you that what you pay for an attorney will be wiped away from the deal he/she makes. Take your choice. Pay an attorney or pay more in the debt your brother has.

Trust me.

Last edited by toosie; 11-13-2016 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: edited out manual signature

Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM

372 posts, read 521,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
What you're referring to is a 1099C. Once the creditor issues one, they can't sell the debt to a debt buyer, which is the usual practice in the industry. 1099C's are often used as a threat by debt collectors. In reality they aren't issued in great numbers, unless there's an underlying reason that satisfies a particular creditor's business model.
Portfolio Recovery, a junk debt buyer, is notorious for issuing these on unvalidated and out-of-statute debts. The problem is---they just don't count on having them disputed, then defaulting when they can't (or won't) substantiate their claims.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:30 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post
Portfolio Recovery, a junk debt buyer, is notorious for issuing these on unvalidated and out-of-statute debts. The problem is---they just don't count on having them disputed, then defaulting when they can't (or won't) substantiate their claims.
As I stated, there's some creditors/debt buyers who incorporate them into their collection strategy. The usual defense strategy is to demonstrate insolvency to the IRS. How easy or difficult that is, I have no idea.

1099C's are controversial within the collection industry. Mainly because the court rulings are all over the place depending on venue. The risk is to the collector, is the debt will be rendered useless for resale if a 1099C has been issued. Those familiar with the industry, know that they trade these debts among themselves as a source of revenue.

I've never understood how a collector benefits from issuing a 1099C. It doesn't get them paid.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:54 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Those of us who borrow or charge items, WE pay for these deadbeats in the form of higher interest rates, fees. No free lunch.
Exactly. The high default rates on credit cards are a big reason why interest rates on them are so high. A 5% of 6% default rate wipes out a lot more profit than people realize. Kind of in the same way that tenants from hell can wipe out months or years of a landlord's profit.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:10 AM

554 posts, read 745,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This looks like the plan. But for the life of me I will never understand how anyone can keep their possessions when they file for bankruptcy, that hardly sounds fair to the creditors.
... Former 'DW' and I filed for Chapter 7, back in the mid-90's ... We had to prove that certain "assets" (from a list given to us) were no longer owned, or in our possession. I can remember giving-away Family heirlooms to my grown kids, because of that.
We were allowed to keep bedroom furniture that we used, and some living room furniture that we used, too. But, for the heirloom items, we had to quietly get rid of them, or surrender them, to satisfy the bankruptcy counselor.
Those were some really-tough times!

Old 11-10-2016, 01:01 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Former 'DW' and I filed for Chapter 7, back in the mid-90's ... We had to prove that certain "assets" (from a list given to us) were no longer owned, or in our possession. I can remember giving-away Family heirlooms to my grown kids, because of that.
We were allowed to keep bedroom furniture that we used, and some living room furniture that we used, too. But, for the heirloom items, we had to quietly get rid of them, or surrender them, to satisfy the bankruptcy counselor.
Those were some really-tough times!
I don't know why they don't grab the used furniture. Sure it isn't worth much but I don't think the bankrupt person should keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement