Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:04 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times

Advertisements

It just hit me tonight, when a cat was left at the little store close to me & the girls & I have been trying to find it a home. One called the local shelter & they have no more room. So we've been taking care of it with food & water. It's scared of humans but has let a few of us pet it.

Out of the blue I remembered that one of my good qualities was writing letters that really helped the community decide to contribute to our annual fund raising at the nonprofit I worked for.

I've been trying to think of a way to volunteer at the local animal shelter. This may be it!

Anyone else have something they've forgotten or that they can utilize for others benefit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 11:27 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I enjoy writing but can't really monetize it. I've sure done my part in helping stray cats.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:31 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I am cautious about applying the "good at it" label to myself because that conclusion would be self-aggrandizing, but even with allowances for the caution, I believe I am good at working with young people. It is something I continue to do as a volunteer and I've received lots of positive feedback from students and their parents.

I am among those who believe that meaningful activities in retirement are conducive to vitality and well-being. Good health comes from more than just good diet and physical activity, as important as those are. (And I am certainly not advocating a junk food diet or a couch potato life style).

Old 11-06-2016, 07:45 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I enjoy writing but can't really monetize it. I've sure done my part in helping stray cats.
I'm not sure you can't....You have a thoughtful approach, write a lot, and maybe only need the right opportunity to come along. Consider it.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:12 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
I run a free journaling(writing) activity life coaching service on-line for clients around the world. its an extension of my 40 years in professional counseling psychology.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:36 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I'm a promoter, commentator, reviewer, aggregator, publicist in the world of jazz.

Promoting a great art form benefits individuals, society, musicians and continuation of their artistry, and a great & important art form.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-06-2016 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-06-2016, 11:54 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
I've always been good at technical writing, have a lot of job-related experience with it, so I have combined that with my education and work experience and write continuing education courses and test questions for medical personnel. I do the work for a CE company, have done it for 17 yrs, when I worked full time it was at night in my pjs, now I can do it pretty much on my own time.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:37 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm a promoter, commentator, reviewer, aggregator, publicist in the world of jazz.

Promoting a great art form benefits individuals, society, musicians and continuation of their artistry, and a great & important art form.
Oh, Man...jazz is more than fantastic! What genre do you promote? classic piano trio? fusion? Easy listening? Classic Brass/Sax (parker, et al.)?, Guitar (Barnes/Pizzarelli)? I am so JEALOUS!!! You have a dream job!

Old 11-06-2016, 03:24 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
I wrote SSA disability regulations for 30 years for the Fed. govt., took early retirement at 53, and shortly after retirement answered questions online. This went on for about 10 years. I'd provide answers along with URLs referencing the applicable laws, regulations, rulings, internal operating policies, and court cases so that people could read for themselves. Had about three dozen permanent followers who posted several times a week, along with many, many others who'd come and go.

My reasons were not entirely altruistic. The primary reason was selfish, i.e., to keep my brain active.

But a troll came along and began a flame war with one of the regulars with whom he'd had a history. Without going into detail, the troll destroyed our group which was unmoderated.

So I created a Google group, made myself owner, and asked three of the regulars to serve as "deputies." This worked well because we could block trolls and spam. Once a poster is blocked, he's blocked permanently, unless he re-registers with a different email. Because there are only so many free emails available, trolls were discouraged.

The Google group existed for about a year, but then my wife contracted dementia and I had to assume duties of primary caregiver so I lost interest and disbanded the group. Now I have no interest in resuming the group or much of anything else.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I'm good at a couple of things, none of which I can use to get work with a decent salary or will contribute to anything.

I trained dogs when I was younger, but I can't now because of my disability. I have a knack for taming (not training) feral cats and other animals, but what can I do with that? And I write well, but I don't know what direction to go in for that. I'm a generalist and I know a little bit about a lot of things, but I'm not specialized in any one thing. About the best thing I can do is when I get asked a question, I can get the answer one way or the other. That and a good memory and that's about it. I'm not sure how that's a benefit to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement