Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 11:03 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
She should pay the price if she didn't have homeowners insurance and chose to have a dog. This isn't even in the United States?
There could be so much more to it. Like the guy who was breaking into a school and decided to come through the skylight. He fell, sued the school, and won.

Maybe the neighbor was bitten on the lady's property. Our dog was chewing a bone in her own yard and the neighbor kid came over and was teasing the dog. My dad told him three times to go home, but he didn't and was bitten. The neighbors called the cops and threatened a lawsuit. The only reason they didn't go through with it was because A) the cops refused to file a report making our family responsible (they said the kid was at fault) and B) this was way back when before lawsuits became popular and stupid lawsuits didn't win if they did go to trial, unlike today.

It could also be that the lady was refused insurance because of the type of dog she owned.

It's a lead cinch bet that after the biting, if she had insurance in the first place, it would be cancelled or raised to such a huge amount she couldn't afford it afterwards anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 11:10 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
IRS, student loans, yes. Otherwise, no.
However, if a judgment puts a lien on your bank account or property, then that's another thing.
She would do well to go to court to work out a payment plan.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:29 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I thought it could be garnished only for money owed the government, like taxes or federal student loans.

This is my understanding.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:49 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Another thing, the IRS and student loan do not have to get a judgment through court. They can just take their portion.
But there are easy remedies available to consumers in the form of payment plans for both IRS and SL to avoid garnishment.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:49 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Another thing, the IRS and student loan do not have to get a judgment through court. They can just take their portion.
But there are easy remedies available to consumers in the form of payment plans for both IRS and SL to avoid garnishment.
There are payment plans but keep in mind that interest is charged so if you're minimum payment isn't high enough to cover compounding interested and then some, you actually end up owing more and more every month and it never ends. Your payment plan is not indefinite as it is reviewed on a regular basis and could be increased too.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:18 AM

85 posts, read 79,789 times
It can also be garnished for back child support, even decades after the kids are grown

Old 11-07-2016, 07:16 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
IRS, student loans, yes. Otherwise, no.
However, if a judgment puts a lien on your bank account or property, then that's another thing.
She would do well to go to court to work out a payment plan.
So if her SS went into her bank account, then it would no longer be looked at a SS. Its just money.

Don't feel sorry for her. Plan your retirement well and for bad things to happen. She's the bad guy not caring what happens on her property.

This probably happened in the US and the OP is now in Ecudor. Hope you aren't in the area affected by the water levels rising or the earth quake.

A friend of mine bought a house there for retirement. What the rising ocean didn't destroy, the earth quake took out.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:44 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I knew someone who had his SS garnished for back child support. He couldn't pay it because he was in prison, so when he started collecting it was garnished.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
She should pay the price if she didn't have homeowners insurance and chose to have a dog. This isn't even in the United States?

This was back when we lived in the U.S. I agree, she should pay the price for choosing to:

A: Be so irresponsible to forego homeowner's insurance and

B: Have this ridiculous aggressive dog

I see someone else said the max is 25% so who knows. I do know there was a judgment....

This dog was a chronic barker who made my life miserable. Never a moment's peace. So I don't feel sorry for her....

Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
So if her SS went into her bank account, then it would no longer be looked at a SS. Its just money.

Don't feel sorry for her. Plan your retirement well and for bad things to happen. She's the bad guy not caring what happens on her property.

This probably happened in the US and the OP is now in Ecudor. Hope you aren't in the area affected by the water levels rising or the earth quake.

A friend of mine bought a house there for retirement. What the rising ocean didn't destroy, the earth quake took out.

Yeah, Mother Nature. The quake was pretty bad here but our American-built condo complex wasn't too badly affected. We have just some cosmetic cracks.

We DID have homeowners' insurance which is not at all common here, so we are OK.

I don't know about rising ocean levels. Was your friend's home in Coco Beach? They lost their beach before the quake, then their homes after it. We saw it and it was tragic. But the beach came back....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement