Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 11:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,906,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I think there will be major changes to particularly Medicare, probably involving more people pushed into Advantage plans, but I think they would change Medicare for current recipients at their peril. The problem is the new government in charge may truly just not care but future voters might.
I always thought the Advantage plans cost the government more than the traditional Medicare plan. Am I wrong on that?

Just found my answer: it depends on where you are. http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publ...tage-cost-less

Old 11-12-2016, 11:31 AM

24,530 posts, read 18,084,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Ryan will get his way and "fix" Medicare by switching it to a voucher system. Health insurance companies will get their cut of everything, so there will be less money for actual health care. I doubt Medicare premiums will more than double, and supplemental insurance will roll into one policy, so it will cost you no more than an extra $5,000 a year for Medicare. The average premium increase will probably be more like half that, or an extra $200/month over what you are currently paying.
In my crystal ball, I have $10,000/year penciled in for individual health care as a retiree and I'm often wondering if it's enough. My expectation is that there will be a low cost option for poor people with really lousy coverage. If you want full coverage, you will have to pay dearly for it.

I think Congress needs to have exactly the same retiree health care as all the other retirees.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times
If you are over 55 about the only thing you have to worry about is future COLAs.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:05 PM

11,022 posts, read 6,572,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In my crystal ball, I have $10,000/year penciled in for individual health care as a retiree and I'm often wondering if it's enough. My expectation is that there will be a low cost option for poor people with really lousy coverage. If you want full coverage, you will have to pay dearly for it.

I think Congress needs to have exactly the same retiree health care as all the other retirees.

AMEN to this. Whatever Congresses passes should apply to THEM as well. Why is this so rarely discussed!

Old 11-12-2016, 01:16 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,260,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Trump and Ryan have massively butted heads. I'm not sure Ryan, McConnell, and Trump can get along at all.
Fine by me...the Democrats' agenda was stymied for 8 years, now it's the same for the GOP.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:13 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,680,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
We get a chance to change things in 2018. Vote out those who aren't watching out for us.
ummm... we had a chance this year... but, how many gazillion of the political critters all the way from laocal, up to congress got re-elected?

Old 11-12-2016, 04:07 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,335,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
The low deductible F plan is already going to phased out in a few short years as it is considered too costly.
F is actually no-deductible first dollar coverage. Beginning in 2020, low-deductible G will be the next best choice with beneficiary paying the Part B deductible of soon to be $183 in 2017. By 2020, that deductible will be well over $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
AMEN to this. Whatever Congresses passes should apply to THEM as well. Why is this so rarely discussed!
Because it isn't true. A separate exchange has been set up for Congress and staff to purchase ACA coverage.

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...ealth-Coverage

Their share of that premium is not low, even though they get subsidized coverage as active or retired employees (of the government) just like any other employer would offer. Actually, their subsidies are bit less than that of a private employer:
Quote:
The federal government pays about 72% of the cost of the various health plans available to federal employees or 75% of the cost of the chosen plan, whichever is less. Private employers on average pay more than 80% of the cost of health benefits.

http://obamacarefacts.com/congress-obamacare/
In retirement, as far as I know, like all government retirees, Congress is covered by FEHB and/or Medicare - and those premiums, too, are not low.

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/topic/insur...8-f5a8055f5787

Husband/wife coverage can be $500/mo. or more.

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...postal-ffs.pdf

And, although not required, many choose to enroll in Medicare Part B which adds to the cost. It is my understanding govt has finally offered insurance which reflects Part B so some FEHB coverage has lower rates than may be shown on the above link because of that offset.

Overall, from what I've read on this board, health coverage for Congressional and other govt employees - active or retired - is expensive to them. Far more than I ever paid when I worked in the private sector or am paying now.

We really have to give up this idea that somehow Congress is getting something so special - and that it's free or close to free. They aren't and it isn't.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-12-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 11-12-2016, 06:59 PM

252 posts, read 233,269 times
Last thing I heard Congress has Obamacare, not FEHB.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:34 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,335,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
Last thing I heard Congress has Obamacare, not FEHB.
Working = Exchange (DC Health Link aka Obamacare)
Retired = FEHB. Explained, here - click on the links:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
A separate exchange has been set up for Congress and staff to purchase ACA coverage.

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...ealth-Coverage

Their share of that premium is not low, even though they get subsidized coverage as active or retired employees (of the government) just like any other employer would offer. Actually, their subsidies are bit less than that of a private employer:

In retirement, as far as I know, like all government retirees, Congress is covered by FEHB and/or Medicare - and those premiums, too, are not low.

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/topic/insur...8-f5a8055f5787

Husband/wife coverage can be $500/mo. or more.

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...postal-ffs.pdf

And, although not required, many choose to enroll in Medicare Part B which adds to the cost. It is my understanding govt has finally offered insurance which reflects Part B so some FEHB coverage has lower rates than may be shown on the above link because of that offset.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-12-2016 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,946,963 times
A lot depends on whether Paul Ryan keeps his Speaker job. If he does he will push his reform plans. If not who knows what a new speaker would push if anything. Trump said no changes to SS or Medicaid. That could set up a clash within the party. Trumps team yesterday said something that should give Cogressional leaders pause. He would like to continue his campaign style rallies in states he won. Does congress really want him rallying in their state for support of something they oppose?
That is populism at the grassroots level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.