Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 07:23 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That's just silly.

Republicans have zero interest in destroying Social Security because it would destroy any chance of being re-elected.

Republicans -- and Democrats -- very much want to *save* Social Security.
Great point. But do they have the foresight to realize that? Besides that, they might have many supporters and be reelected despite their position, both from the rich and from judgmental people who blame impoverished people for being in their precarious financial situation.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:28 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Are you really that gullible? Not even the Paul Ryan's and Rand Paul's of the world would attempt such a drastic measure.
I sure hope you're right.

But you don't have to be gullible to see who he is now putting in his cabinet. Just google Steve Bannon who is alt right and NOT a mainstream Republican. Google Mike Pence who has been trying to change SS for some time now.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
I can see it now guarded and gated communities of financially secure seniors protected by guards who had parents die in poverty.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:15 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
It's still early to conclude what Trump will do. He and/or his staff has admitted some statements were to get him elected. Now there is some suspicion that he is trying to calm the opposition (disclaimer - that would be me) by floating the ideas concerning staying the course on parts of Obamacare and marriage equality; maybe not bothering with investigating Hillary further and backing off on his immigrations stances a bit. Yet he is surrounding himself with advocates for hard line positions on these issues. Not sure how that will play out.

I do believe that Hillary is more likely to plan to engage in brinksmanship with no intention of backing down and get us in some conflicts, but I am not sure that Trump is less likely to end up in one. Bernie was my candidate, but I did back Hillary because I think Trump is far too unpredictable and his record is anything but spotless.
Priebus is establishment. Bannon is hardline, but I don't think the Trump administration is really going to get into the weeds on abortion and gay rights. That's never really been the focus of Breitbart or the Trump movement.

I think Obama is right that he is going to have to compromise. I honestly see more rebellion coming from establishment Republicans and that Trump is going to ally with the populist Republican politicians plus progressives like Sanders. We are going to see some odd bedfellows.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:17 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There is a major difference this time and if not reformed this election cycle that difference will become even greater. We are coming ever closer to the day of reckoning when SS is only able to pay out 70% of benefits and or when the national debt becomes so great it threatens our credit rating, fiscal solvency and our dollars standard in international markets. Those consequences would hit everyone and make aging issues along with other financial issues take us to a place we never want to have to think about.
SS is likely going to have to be cut in payments, the retirement age raised, FICA taxes increased, something to cover the shortfall.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:23 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
SS is likely going to have to be cut in payments, the retirement age raised, FICA taxes increased, something to cover the shortfall.
I definitely see FICA taxes being raised.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:02 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Every time there's a new President, especially a Republican, we have to have these doom and gloom rumors about Social Security and Medicare. You'd think we've all been around long enough and seen enough elections to know these are scare tactics by one party or another. It seems rather easy to put seniors in a panic with such nonsense. No wonder such rumors are started by those that want to persuade you to dislike one party or another.
Before you call them 'scare tactics' take a look at what is on the Trump transition website, his claim that he would not touch Social Security or Medicare has morphed into Ryan-speak, it now states this

Quote:
In contrast, the transition website says the Trump administration will “modernize Medicare so that it will be ready for the challenges with the coming retirement of the Baby Boom generation — and beyond.”

By adding Medicare modernization to the list, Trump is now employing the vocabulary of Republicans, notably House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), Wilensky said. Ryan has long advocated converting Medicare from an entitlement program and giving its beneficiaries a certain amount of money to help buy private health plans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...492_story.html
I hope that Trump changes his mind on medicare once again and decides to keep his hands off of it, but since his positions shift like sands on the Sahara there is no way to know how this will turn out.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 11-15-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 11-15-2016, 09:04 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Priebus is establishment. Bannon is hardline, but I don't think the Trump administration is really going to get into the weeds on abortion and gay rights. That's never really been the focus of Breitbart or the Trump movement. I think Obama is right that he is going to have to compromise. I honestly see more rebellion coming from establishment Republicans and that Trump is going to ally with the populist Republican politicians plus progressives like Sanders. We are going to see some odd bedfellows.
I don't want to go off topic but to understand his views on abortion please watch the 60 minute interview, if you need a link message me.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Priebus is establishment. Bannon is hardline, but I don't think the Trump administration is really going to get into the weeds on abortion and gay rights. That's never really been the focus of Breitbart or the Trump movement.

I think Obama is right that he is going to have to compromise. I honestly see more rebellion coming from establishment Republicans and that Trump is going to ally with the populist Republican politicians plus progressives like Sanders. We are going to see some odd bedfellows.
That wouldn't surprise. A populous movement is not what the Republican establishment wants.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Before you call them 'scare tactics' take a look at what is on the Trump transition website, his claim that he would not touch Social Security or Medicare has morphed into Ryan-speak, it now states this

In contrast, the transition website says the Trump administration will “modernize Medicare so that it will be ready for the challenges with the coming retirement of the Baby Boom generation — and beyond.”

By adding Medicare modernization to the list, Trump is now employing the vocabulary of Republicans, notably House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), Wilensky said. Ryan has long advocated converting Medicare from an entitlement program and giving its beneficiaries a certain amount of money to help buy private health plans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...492_story.html

I hope that Trump changes his mind on medicare once again and decides to keep his hands off of it, but since his positions shift like sands on the Sahara there is no way to know how this will turn out.
Without any modernization Medicare crashes and not that much further in the future. The issue is not modernization but how it is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement