Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Trump's proposed 13.5% across-the-board cut in federal spending would result in a cut to Social Security that would reduce the average monthly benefit by $182, from $1,360 in 2017 to $1,177.

If you are a retiree who voted for him- did you not know what his policies were?
Actually, it was HILLARY who, years ago, said that everyone would have to "feel the pain" of cuts.

Trump said that he "sees no need" to make changes to SS or Medicare, and he stuck with that when pressed. Also, give me a break because the two Republican nominees before Trump said that NO changes would affect those already receiving, or close to receiving, benefits. And the voters rejected that.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:41 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
North Korea. That kid has a mouth on him.
And they're both as sensitive as little flowers when it comes to thinking they've been insulted.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:46 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Actually, it was HILLARY who, years ago, said that everyone would have to "feel the pain" of cuts.

Trump said that he "sees no need" to make changes to SS or Medicare, and he stuck with that when pressed. Also, give me a break because the two Republican nominees before Trump said that NO changes would affect those already receiving, or close to receiving, benefits. And the voters rejected that.
That's true. He has repeatedly stated that he intends to pay for the programs by greatly growing the economy such that there will be no need to cut Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid benefits. And yes, he did include Medicaid in his promise. But that's o.k. because he will create the greatest growth of the economy this country has ever seen.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:55 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
"Just google it." Well, that required a lot of thought. Now I understand.
You like to spread rumor without checking facts and pretend not to know how to do research. I told you how. I can be lazy too.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:17 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You like to spread rumor without checking facts and pretend not to know how to do research. I told you how. I can be lazy too.
Of course I know how to do research, that's my job. But when someone posts a "fact", as you did, it is common courtesy to provide more information when requested to assist the reader in finding the information. "Google it" usually means the poster has no clue what s/he's talking about. Redguard57, on the other hand, gave a succinct but helpful reply.

A quick check of my posts will confirm that I do not "spread rumors".

Old 11-09-2016, 08:48 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Trump's proposed 13.5% across-the-board cut in federal spending would result in a cut to Social Security that would reduce the average monthly benefit by $182, from $1,360 in 2017 to $1,177.

If you are a retiree who voted for him- did you not know what his policies were?
His whole campaign was about putting on a show to get votes. Even when he says those things he didn't even look like he believed what he was saying. A gross oversimplification for a very very complex problem like a federal budget can't be accomplished with across-the-board cuts, yet claiming to build a wall costing billions of dollars to keep out illegals who sneak in and cut out lawns.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:06 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Just give me back the entire amount I've paid into SS since I was 13 years old and I'm good. A lump sum would be fine.
So you don't think we should have a Social Security program at all?

Old 11-09-2016, 09:44 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Just give me back the entire amount I've paid into SS since I was 13 years old and I'm good. A lump sum would be fine.
I've paid in $113K. I plan on getting that back with interest.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
His whole campaign was about putting on a show to get votes. Even when he says those things he didn't even look like he believed what he was saying. A gross oversimplification for a very very complex problem like a federal budget can't be accomplished with across-the-board cuts, yet claiming to build a wall costing billions of dollars to keep out illegals who sneak in and cut out lawns.
I guess that makes me feel better, but I'm not really sure. Sounds like we should all feel better that we were lied to, simply so he could get elected. So, if Trump was elected on a bunch of false promises that are OK because that is the price one pays to get in office, what exactly is he going to do as President? Does anybody really know?

Old 11-09-2016, 10:36 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Trump talks out of both sides of his mouth. First he was going to prosecute "crooked" Hillary, now he praises her. You can't believe a word he says. His huge ego is about himself 1st and he'll try to take advantage of his position to make behind the scenes deals to make himself richer. I heard today that he already has ordered a jeweled crown to be worn at his inauguration. He plans to be "King of the World".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement