Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 04:42 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,368,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
its not obvious. Where do you get the idea when he hasn't even taken office yet. Gee whiz give the guy a break before you just trash him. I am part of the TSP system too. If you have money in the G Fund that is the only money the feds have access to and that is because it is treasury securities. Otherwise the money is in the market.
The G Fund is the best fund in the TSP. It is our stable value fund. Let the House Republicans drop the interest rate from 2% to 0.01% and you might as well roll your TSP over into a Vanguard or Fidelity IRA. They proposed this to reduce the national debt in their FY 2017 budget plan and could likely do so again. Many of us feds are concerned about the new administration - it's not just Trump but Pence and Ryan and the rest of the bunch too. Fortunately the three of us (including Giesela) will be retired by then so we can't be affected as much.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:39 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,335,104 times
Default Who Says Medicare Privatization is a Pipe Dream??

Another nail in the coffin - new HHS Secy - Tom Price - a proponent of Medicare privatization:
Quote:
Trump’s HHS secretary likely will have to manage an overhaul of Medicare, the health-care system for the elderly and disabled, that’s planned by Republican lawmakers. House Speaker Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, has proposed to privatize Medicare and provide seniors with vouchers to help cover health-insurance premiums.

Price said Nov. 17 that Republicans plan to use a procedural measure known as reconciliation to make the changes to Medicare in 2017.

Trump Picks Tom Price to Lead Health and Human Services - Bloomberg Politics
and:
Quote:
House Budget Committee chairman and long-time health-policy opinion-leader Representative Tom Price has blandly asserted that Republicans might toss Medicare vouchers into the fast-tracked, filibuster-proof budget reconciliation bill they are putting together to enact their post-Obama agenda.

Will Republicans Try to Privatize Medicare in 2017?
Anyone who believes this is a far-fetched outcome had better rethink. Medicare reform could happen very quickly.

One has to believe Trump discussed this issue with Price. So, once again, Trump lies (why are we not surprised) - and contrary to his remarks no cuts/change to Medicare - Trump now has as HHS Secy an eager advocate for same.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:55 PM

42,759 posts, read 26,041,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Another nail in the coffin - new HHS Secy - Tom Price - a proponent of Medicare privatization:and:
Anyone who believes this is a far-fetched outcome had better rethink. Medicare reform could happen very quickly.

One has to believe Trump discussed this issue with Price. So, once again, Trump lies (why are we not surprised) - and contrary to his remarks no cuts/change to Medicare - Trump now has as HHS Secy an eager advocate for same.
I was just about to post that, thanks! I found a little more on this:

"The head of the House Budget Committee said Thursday that lawmakers are eying an overhaul of Medicare next year. Budget Committee Chairman Tom Price (R-Ga.) said he expects lawmakers to push forward with an overhaul “within the first six to eight months” of President-elect Donald Trump's administration. e said it would be tackled through the budget tactic in the Senate called “reconciliation,” which allows major spending-related bills to pass the upper chamber without a veto. “I think that’s probably in the second phase of reconciliation, which would have to be in the fiscal year 2018 budget,” Price added. It's the first time that a House GOP leader has said officials are planning to fast-track an overhaul of Medicare in 2017." House GOP eying major Medicare overhaul in 2017 | TheHill

I wonder if Trump supporters knew that this is what they were voting for?

Old 11-28-2016, 09:07 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,993,604 times
How about you figure out my total SS contributions over my lifetime, I'm in my late 30s, and give me fifty cents on the dollar and let me invest that money on my own and I won't get any of your SS. Social security is a Ponzi scheme

Old 11-28-2016, 09:25 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,335,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
How about you figure out my total SS contributions over my lifetime, I'm in my late 30s, and give me fifty cents on the dollar and let me invest that money on my own and I won't get any of your SS. Social security is a Ponzi scheme
A short-sighted view because you are young and don't know what you don't know. You haven't lived long enough to appreciate the value of this program. The benefits are myriad - and you may one day have a family which will be very thankful for them. I've known at least four young widows with infants and children (one widow was pregnant) who couldn't have kept a roof over their heads were it not for the survivor and dependent benefits of this program. Kept the families out of poverty, allowed for stable home lives, kept the children in a decent environment - and even helped educate them. Don't knock what you don't know.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:55 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,076,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I was just about to post that, thanks! I found a little more on this:

"The head of the House Budget Committee said Thursday that lawmakers are eying an overhaul of Medicare next year. Budget Committee Chairman Tom Price (R-Ga.) said he expects lawmakers to push forward with an overhaul “within the first six to eight months” of President-elect Donald Trump's administration. e said it would be tackled through the budget tactic in the Senate called “reconciliation,” which allows major spending-related bills to pass the upper chamber without a veto. “I think that’s probably in the second phase of reconciliation, which would have to be in the fiscal year 2018 budget,” Price added. It's the first time that a House GOP leader has said officials are planning to fast-track an overhaul of Medicare in 2017." House GOP eying major Medicare overhaul in 2017 | TheHill

I wonder if Trump supporters knew that this is what they were voting for?
Although you will never know because Hillary lost the election, do you honestly think her supporters would have known exactly what they were voting for had she been elected instead ? Lets see, she was first for the war in Iraq then against it. Then she was against gay marriage then for it. She championed TPP, but that changed when Bernie came along then she was against it and ditto for the Keystone Pipeline. She had her reasons for changing her positions on these issues, so do you not think that Trump could not find reasons to change some of his positions on Medicare, Social Security, etc. ?

Hillary was not my candidate, but had she won the election she would have been my president and I would have given her the opportunity to prove her ability to lead and make decisions that will benefit all Americans. Maybe you should consider extending Trump the same opportunity especially since he has yet to take the oath of office.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 AM

42,759 posts, read 26,041,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Although you will never know because Hillary lost the election, do you honestly think her supporters would have known exactly what they were voting for had she been elected instead ? Lets see, she was first for the war in Iraq then against it. Then she was against gay marriage then for it. She championed TPP, but that changed when Bernie came along then she was against it and ditto for the Keystone Pipeline. She had her reasons for changing her positions on these issues, so do you not think that Trump could not find reasons to change some of his positions on Medicare, Social Security, etc. ?

Hillary was not my candidate, but had she won the election she would have been my president and I would have given her the opportunity to prove her ability to lead and make decisions that will benefit all Americans. Maybe you should consider extending Trump the same opportunity especially since he has yet to take the oath of office.
I know this much neither she, nor any other Democrat would privatize medicare, and she would have at least been able to veto some crazy medicare privatization plan passed by a Republican congress, do you think Trump will refuse to sign it? He just gave the hhs job to the guy who promised less than a week ago to shove through their privatization plan within the first 6 months

Old 11-29-2016, 08:43 AM

154 posts, read 533,565 times
Good luck to us all. Thanks a whole bunch Trump voters. Trump's picks are scary, downright scary. I used to think that Social Security and perhaps Medicare were the third rail, but no longer. Four years of this administration is going to rip up what little safety nets there are, especially for older people. Privatizing these 2 programs will be a disaster. I cannot even begin to express how disappointed I am and how incredulous I am that the wheels are in motion for huge changes in these programs.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,094,340 times
Please don't throw arrows..... this is only my opinion, my positive thinking kicking in.

When we all learned who won the election, we all had various reactions to it. But as much as I agree that Trump was a terrible choice, I do not feel angry, sad, or like giving up. To me, his election represents a challenge. There are a heck of a lot of us citizens living in these United States and I would feel so very bad if everyone just threw up their hands and gave up.

Maybe I live in a fantasy world, but I don't think so. It might take some of us (me in particular) to get off our cushy seats, maybe give up a bit of our comfort, and rebel!! Remember the Revolutionary War?? We fought against the tyranny of England. We did not want to live by their rules. OK, yes, I know it meant a war. I hate war. But if there is something I really want to preserve such as my freedoms, then darn it, I'm willing to help. We have lived the "good life" for many years. We look at pictures on TV news showing what is going on in other countries and shudder and thank God (universal God) we aren't there.

With Trump and his cohorts..... who is to say we can't have that happen here?? Will we roll over and let it happen?

Let's put on our thinking caps people. Something awful is coming down the pike and we need to meet it head-on.

I am more dove than hawk; but I'm not a dead dove.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:50 AM

24,530 posts, read 18,084,222 times
Medicare reform was going to happen eventually no matter who is elected. Today's program is not viable. For many years, I've had $10K per year penciled in as my best guess for what my individual retiree medical insurance would cost me to get the kind of coverage I'm used to. If you don't have the $1,000/month, you're going to get pretty lousy coverage. That's probably 75% of the late-Boomers. I'm now wondering if I've underestimated the cost? If it's $1,500/month, I'll pay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.