Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,990,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Trump talks out of both sides of his mouth. First he was going to prosecute "crooked" Hillary, now he praises her. You can't believe a word he says. His huge ego is about himself 1st and he'll try to take advantage of his position to make behind the scenes deals to make himself richer. I heard today that he already has ordered a jeweled crown to be worn at his inauguration. He plans to be "King of the World".
I wonder how many people realize just how mentally wacked he is. You are right - while he commands others to do various tasks he's going to be raiding the coffers and scheming to get himself and his family set - taxes protected etc... We are going to be paying for his lavish lifestyle - nothing but the best for him and his family.

What the he++ was wrong with people.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:59 PM

42,752 posts, read 25,982,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Cutting taxes has always resulted in more money to the treasury and not less.
For example President Kennedy pushed through some pretty massive tax cuts in 1962

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdXrfIMdiU
Now let's see what happened in real life.
In 1961 we had wonderful high tax rates that many on the left would be very proud have.
After the tax cuts
Yes, tax rates went down in terms of percentage of GDP but income actually rose because there was more activity.
Every time we have had tax cuts we have enjoyed economic prosperity. It is not a zero sum game.
Mathjak?
He's going to cut taxes? How will he pay for the massive infrastructure building, the wall, the national guard deployment into inner cities, is he going to plant a money tree in the white house garden? He will have to cut all programs to pay for that and with the R's in Congress just chaffing at the bit to cut SS and Medicare you'd better start a rainy day fund cause I think it's going to be a monsoon.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,237,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I guess that makes me feel better, but I'm not really sure. Sounds like we should all feel better that we were lied to, simply so he could get elected. So, if Trump was elected on a bunch of false promises that are OK because that is the price one pays to get in office, what exactly is he going to do as President? Does anybody really know?
So by these questions are we to assume you are somewhat younger than retirement age and haven't seen many elections?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,341,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Cutting taxes has always resulted in more money to the treasury and not less.

(snip)

Yes, tax rates went down in terms of percentage of GDP but income actually rose because there was more activity.

Every time we have had tax cuts we have enjoyed economic prosperity. It is not a zero sum game.

Mathjak?

What matters to me is whether I have more money, not whether the treasury does.

In the case of the Reagan Tax Cuts, I ended up with fewer dollars in my pocket because rents necessarily skyrocketed - I faced five rent increases in five years, was priced out and had to move three times, and was homeless his last four months in office.

I can't afford any more so-called tax cuts!

Old 11-10-2016, 02:07 AM

10 posts, read 6,319 times
Given the fact that Trump is also 70, he should not create any problem for the retirees.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:40 AM

30,872 posts, read 36,800,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We current Seniors will be screwed. Better off DEAD, unless your kids are rich and can afford to take care of you in your old age. Were 401K's around in your young working years? We had PENSIONS then which have gone the way of the Saber Tooth Tiger.

Do you remember your parents talking about the Great Depression? While my Mom's family were ok (bluntly, Mafia), my Dad told me of his father working in a grocery store and taking food out of the garbage to eat for dinner. They tied rope around their shoes to keep them on. This was in Manhattan and the breadwinner actually HAD a job.

Is this what will happen in America again? The wealthy will give scraps to the poor and the middle class of society?
Today's Baby Boomer seniors are in a financial mess largely because they ignored the lessons of their Great Depression era parents--that prosperity is not guaranteed and that saving is important. They also began the era of expecting the government to do for them instead of a bigger focus on self sufficiency, family and community before running to the government.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:25 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,268,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I guess that makes me feel better, but I'm not really sure. Sounds like we should all feel better that we were lied to, simply so he could get elected. So, if Trump was elected on a bunch of false promises that are OK because that is the price one pays to get in office, what exactly is he going to do as President? Does anybody really know?
No, I don't think we should feel good he put on a show and lied just to get elected. He was playing to his strengths which is to get attention for himself and pander to the crowd of people who he would strike a chord with. He was looking for numbers, just like ratings for his reality TV show, he didn't care who was voting for him just that they did. I just don't think he's going to do very much in office, except do very minor tweaks to what Obama and others already had in place, but rename them to take credit for it, and claim he did what he said he would do. I'm saying this, because from all the conversations of his on radio and TV from the last 30 years or so, he doesn't really have a single theme he has talked about anything except NAFTA. There's an appearance of his on David Letterman from 1987 (It's on YouTube) where he said a few things about NAFTA. But that's really it. There are also protests around the country now against him, he doesn't want to put up with that, he will back pedal on things. Not because he will finally come to his senses or because he suddenly became enlighten, but to make his life easier in the new job.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:33 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,268,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Trump talks out of both sides of his mouth. First he was going to prosecute "crooked" Hillary, now he praises her. You can't believe a word he says. His huge ego is about himself 1st and he'll try to take advantage of his position to make behind the scenes deals to make himself richer. I heard today that he already has ordered a jeweled crown to be worn at his inauguration. He plans to be "King of the World".
He won't be wasting time going after her, or sue the women who accused him. He says things to get attention which he hoped would turn into votes. If he thought the path to win was to show how much he loved Muslims, he would have done a complete 180 on it in a heart beat. But he looked at a way to focus on voters that nobody else wants to touch. It was the path of least resistance for him to unite them with their hate. The only thing he wanted to do from many years ago, was be President. It is clear the way he talked in interviews. After all, there are plenty of billionaires who many people in the public don't know their name or what they even look like, and they live their private lives. It isn't like it was a requirement he had to be on talk shows and appear at events and have a reality TV show in order to be very wealthy. Trump has been looking for the opportunity to run for President for decades.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:06 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,214,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Of course I know how to do research, that's my job. But when someone posts a "fact", as you did, it is common courtesy to provide more information when requested to assist the reader in finding the information. "Google it" usually means the poster has no clue what s/he's talking about. Redguard57, on the other hand, gave a succinct but helpful reply.

A quick check of my posts will confirm that I do not "spread rumors".
This reference librarian can only hang her head and sigh.....

Old 11-10-2016, 06:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,919,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Trump said he was not concerned with social security; wanted to keep it the same.

Of course, he said Obama was not born in America for 4-5 years, then in a 2-minute press conference acted like he never said it. Nothing he says at any given moment matters.

Trump will do what's best for Trump, what he thinks makes him look good at the moment.

I'm not so sure. Remember that Pence, Giuliani, and Christie are going to drive everything now. Trump will turn to them. Pence is the one to fear, and he will be advising and driving his sick policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement