Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 11:41 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times

Advertisements

The local CCRC (which gets high marks) held a fundraiser today for Alzheimer's research. We liked the cause so decided to go and donate. While we were there we talked to the sales and marketing director. The grounds were lovely. The independent living apartments were small. A 900 sq foot unit includes weekly maid service, scheduled transportation services, 24-hour emergency response, outings, exercise, health and wellness programs, utilities (gas, electric, cable and water), breakfast and either lunch or dinner. Monthly rental fee is $6,065.

I asked what the average age of their residents in independent living is. The average age is 85.

I asked to see their scheduled activities for the month. They include: trips to the grocery store, chair yoga, painting classes, Christian bible services, poker, knitting/crocheting together, meditation and relaxation, Tai Chi, billiards, afternoon socials, iPad exploration, bridge, "flex your brain", pizza party, bingo, a trip to the mall, trips to the bank, canine visits, happy hour.

Maybe I am a little too young for this, but it seemed like rather boring and sedentary monthly activities. Although at age 85 I don't know what I will be capable of.

I looked at the monthly dinner menu: Chicken Cordon Bleu (chicken breast pounded extra thin with ham and Swiss cheese tossed in Italian bread crumbs and fried until golden brown), grilled salmon with honey chili glaze, roasted beef tenderloin, bourbon mushrooms, cauliflower au gratin, wedge salad with blue cheese dressing, red potatoes, baked potato (with butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon), lemon meringue pie, peach cobbler, lemon cake.

So now I am wondering: the average age is 85. The residents have activities like playing cards, and doing yoga in a chair, and the food they are being fed is fried, high in carbs, high in sodium and sugar, and high in calories. No one has limited diets? There isn't one diabetic, or one vegetarian in the entire CCRC? This somehow doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 12:19 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I think you need to see the actual prepared meals and try them rather than assuming from a menu name that the product is a certain way. This is writing to make the meal presentation attractive.

Sometimes well prepared food can be salt and sugar restricted. Fried may mean oven fried. I suspect they did not list the veggies, etc. that come with the meals. Or I could be totally wrong and the wrong person is running the food program.

The only way to know is to have a meal and see what they provide. And ask questions about diabetic, salt restricted, or other specialized diets and whether they are accomodated. At over $6,000 a month, they should be.

My mom at 85 would be happy with those programs.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:13 PM

292 posts, read 357,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
The local CCRC (which gets high marks) held a fundraiser today for Alzheimer's research. We liked the cause so decided to go and donate. While we were there we talked to the sales and marketing director. The grounds were lovely. The independent living apartments were small. A 900 sq foot unit includes weekly maid service, scheduled transportation services, 24-hour emergency response, outings, exercise, health and wellness programs, utilities (gas, electric, cable and water), breakfast and either lunch or dinner. Monthly rental fee is $6,065.
My mom lives in a CCRC. I'm puzzled by the "monthly rental". It seems high. What is the buy in fee? The term Continuing in CCRC implies more than a simple rental agreement--they contract to take care of you from independent living through skilled care if needed. Does the initial fee paid by the resident revert to the CCRC at death or decision to vacate, or does the property go into the estate? I haven't researched this, but I've heard the residents talk about the different business models available that they'd seen while shopping for a retirement home.

As for the menu, there's something for everyone at my mom's place--usually soups, salads, choice of 3 entrees, and always the ability to get certain staple items such as an omelette, baked sweet potato, sirloin or fish.

I feel my mom is safe there, but hate she's so far away. I love visiting, but a CCRC is not likely in my future. Too many rules and regs and I hate the thought that once you are there, you're there for good (or face significant financial loss). If your genes say you're going to live a long time, it's something to consider. Many different models to choose from

Old 11-12-2016, 02:48 PM

Mastequila,

This CCRC does not have an endowment. It is an annual lease, so you are free to leave. There is a building for independent living, one for assisted living, one for memory care, and a nursing home facility on a large campus. As you need more care you are moved between the buildings. I assume the monthly fees are increased depending upon how much care you need.

I only looked at the independent living building. I didn't go into the other buildings as I didn't think that this was a place I would choose. I was told that there are people that I can hire there for scheduled needs... ie. medication reminders, or bathing help, but once I reached a need for unscheduled help... ie, bathroom needs... then I would have to move to the assisted living building.

Being that the average age is 85, it will take me about 30 more years before I fit in there. Maybe I will like it better then.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:06 PM

896 posts, read 1,139,183 times
Is this a Harmony community? There is one being built near us. We recently attended a luncheon in regards to the community. It is not within our price reach. I DO like the fact there is no buy in, and it is a leasing community.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:24 PM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
You said they have chair yoga as a scheduled activity. Chair yoga is good for people who are not very mobile. Given that you were looking at independent living (i.e. still mobile), doesn't the CCRC itself have a regular fitness center for those who are more able and interested in exercise? I would think that for $6K a month (and up!) at least a room with exercise equipment, plus a pool, would be included.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:45 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post

Being that the average age is 85, it will take me about 30 more years before I fit in there. Maybe I will like it better then.
That is the same opinion I have. there is a lovely CCRC near us that includes all the amenities you mentioned plus single story 2BR condos, many wiht basements and some with a Den in addition to the bedrooms.

I asked about average age and I was told it is approximately 75. We can participate in all CCRC activities, including a couple meals each month, but only after joining the Waiting List for a unit. Cost to join the list is $2500 and I was told it usually requires ~3 years to move to the top of the list. How does a person know if they want to buy in until they have experienced more than just a few chaperoned visits?

At 60 & 57 joining the list is still a few years out.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
For those of us who have no idea what CCRC stands for tell us what you talking about. I know of places that do what the op speaks of, but the initials CCRC are not used.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:03 PM

Mr. 5150, A CCRC is a Continuing Care Retirement Community. This is a campus with independent living (apartments, separate housing) for people who need little to no help with their every day activities, assisted living for people who need help with their every day activities, memory centers for people with dementia, etc., and nursing care facilities. People will generally enter the CCRC and move between levels of care as the need arises.

There are different payment models. Some CCRC require an endowment which may or may not be refundable, in addition to a lease. Some CCRC work on a lease basis with no endowment.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:09 PM

yourown2feet, there was a beauty salon, library, walking trails, outdoor patios, swimming pool, whirlpool spa, garden, and recreation room. There was no exercise room. I did not see a separate craft room. I also did not see doctors offices on campus. Given that the average age is 85, I pretty much lost interest in the tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement