Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:31 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,151,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The worst for me was one of the Trader Joe's in Portland, OR. If was infested with yuppie mothers and their little rug-rats. The moms either let their kids run free bumping into people and knocking things off low shelves or had them pushing those tiny supermarket carts which the kids used to run up people's ankles.

This was a problem at all times but more so on weekdays. It couldn't totally be avoided on weekends but it seemed that the problem wasn't as prevalent then.

The store was small and the aisles narrow. There was barely enough room for shopping carts to go through let alone double as a playground for unruly children. After being run into, stepped on, pushed and hit by these spoiled little snowflakes I stopped going to that store and went to one farther from my home where people showed some manners.
No excuse for that. When I go with my kids they are either well-behaved or they know they lose dessert!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Why would you think otherwise? Of course we shop off-hours.
my experience says otherwise, but then again I live in SWFL where the average age is something like 60.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Lastly, I also have way too much free time in retirement. What's better way to spend my time than being at the checkout counter slowly checking all my pockets and wallet compartments to find my coupons, getting rid of my piles of pennies to pay for my loaf of bread, a quart of milk and a bottle of prune juice ahead of dozens of customers with their overloaded shopping carts. Young people nowadays have no patience. I love to give them a lesson or two!

Now you know why us retirees LOVE to shop on weekends ;-)
Aside from missing the point that you ran over me twice with your scooter and tried 5x to pay at Costco with your Amex (they only take Visa now), while arguing with the cashier that despite the coupon price not taking effect for 2 more days you should get the discount NOW darn'it I think you have it covered. Don't forget the giant box of XL Depends too!

Old 11-15-2016, 08:51 PM

16,372 posts, read 30,145,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The worst for me was one of the Trader Joe's in Portland, OR. If was infested with yuppie mothers and their little rug-rats. The moms either let their kids run free bumping into people and knocking things off low shelves or had them pushing those tiny supermarket carts which the kids used to run up people's ankles.

This was a problem at all times but more so on weekdays. It couldn't totally be avoided on weekends but it seemed that the problem wasn't as prevalent then.

The store was small and the aisles narrow. There was barely enough room for shopping carts to go through let alone double as a playground for unruly children. After being run into, stepped on, pushed and hit by these spoiled little snowflakes I stopped going to that store and went to one farther from my home where people showed some manners.

Did they have those godawful checkouts where you pulled up to a counter and then had to back up? I could never see why they did that.

Trader joe's USED to be one of my favorite shops BUT once I had to shop the Midwestern locations, I could not see any real reason to shop there.

In the coming weeks, I am heading to a couple of the new SoCal Aldi stores. I hope they measure up to the Chicago stores.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:39 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,361,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Did they have those godawful checkouts where you pulled up to a counter and then had to back up? I could never see why they did that.

Trader joe's USED to be one of my favorite shops BUT once I had to shop the Midwestern locations, I could not see any real reason to shop there.

In the coming weeks, I am heading to a couple of the new SoCal Aldi stores. I hope they measure up to the Chicago stores.
No, not that I recall. Both TJ's near me had formerly been small locally owned grocery stores so the configuration of the checkout counters were the same.

What frustrated me about them is that they stopped carrying many things I liked. It finally got down to just about all I went there for was their frozen pancakes. It got to the point where it just wasn't worthwhile going there.

We have Aldi's here where I am now but I've never shopped there.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:41 PM

890 posts, read 652,346 times
I work full time. I tend to shop after work or sometimes, because I drive from school to school for my job, I will run in and grab a few things. My 1st job was in a grocery store and the checkout line would sometimes stretch to the back of the store on weekends. I have always tried to avoid shopping on the weekends.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:04 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,526,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
For those who are retired I am curious about something.

As every day is essentially a weekend for you, why do your grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday when families are also doing the same?

It's a free world so of course you can shop whenever you like but I'm curious why. Wouldn't say Tuesday at 10 be less stressful and crowded for you?
Whenever I get around to it or think of it. Even if it's a weekend, I'll go in the morning to avoid crowds.

I do try to go to the movies or do shopping during the week, though. If I need groceries, I don't put it off. It's not that crowded. It's not like going to a concert or anything.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:37 PM

7,021 posts, read 6,248,286 times
Now that it's winter my shopping will be based on when the weather is okay, not the day of week. I just tried our new Aldis. I believe I saved quite a bit. I'll have to compare when I have less to get.
I was out of a lot of the pricier items; cleaners, spices & paper goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement