Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 06:19 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Fine. Just make sure it goes exclusively to the expenses of school - not "fun times". Doling out money to do with whatever will simply result in a lazy bum with a useless degree. I've seen it a million times.
I would think by the time she was in school for her doctorate, that the irresponsible party stage would be long over.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
There is a difference between tithing and charitable donations. A tithe goes to support a church. It gets spent on facilities and salaries with only a minimal amount going to any actual charitable purpose. Many large charities are the same way. The larger and more remote the organization, the less good you are actually doing. If you give to a large TV ministry, your money goes to buy mansions and yachts, and none of it helps the poor. If you donate to the local homeless shelter, most of your money will actually go to feed and house the destitute. You will do more good sending $10 to a local homeless shelter than you will sending $1000 to Jim Bakker.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Tithing is nothing more than dues to a social club, no different than a country club. It should only occur after all other priorities have been met. IMO, charity is far more important than tithing and less important than personal saving for retirement. Both tithing and charity should fall after personal needs and retirement planning.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:13 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There is a difference between tithing and charitable donations. A tithe goes to support a church. It gets spent on facilities and salaries with only a minimal amount going to any actual charitable purpose. Many large charities are the same way. The larger and more remote the organization, the less good you are actually doing. If you give to a large TV ministry, your money goes to buy mansions and yachts, and none of it helps the poor. If you donate to the local homeless shelter, most of your money will actually go to feed and house the destitute. You will do more good sending $10 to a local homeless shelter than you will sending $1000 to Jim Bakker.
Good point. I give something to my church because I want to keep it going, and I give to charities THROUGH my church, such as a food pantry and the annual backpacks and Christmas gifts for needy local kids, but I choose to give to other charities not connected with the church. I will give to mostly local places that help directly, not big organizations that use my donations to send me mailings asking for more.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:22 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Tithing is nothing more than dues to a social club, no different than a country club. It should only occur after all other priorities have been met. IMO, charity is far more important than tithing and less important than personal saving for retirement. Both tithing and charity should fall after personal needs and retirement planning.
And it is the shared belief and values of that social club that makes membership and tithing so important to many, not all but many. Some might say that in the big picture membership has benefits.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't understand the endless debate about tithing here.

I honestly don't see why an older, supposedly enlightened demographic is debating this virulently.
It is all about how the title and intro thread was drafted... just like the 'media' / polls... there is a 'leading thought from OP'

witness.... lumping Tithing and Charitable giving together (they are often opposed... obligation vs need)
Witness Saving 15% and still Tithing 10% (as if that is a BIG deal... it is not)

sounds to me like; (I'm certainly wrong, as I always am )
1) "This is MY excuse to not tithe / contribute... too disruptive to MY retirement planning" (Please think like OP... or don't comment (PLEASE do not comment!!, OP is trying to JUSTIFY.)

or

2) Does anyone actual do this?

3) or... I am feeling a bit guilty about not filling the Salvation Army Bell Ringers Pot (it might delay my retirement!)

4) or... Don't throw stones at tithers who 'forgot' to save for retirement

5) or... wow... I'm all the sudden 60+ yrs old... What has my life / success / wealth brought others. (Ebenezer Scrooge season brings this out)

There was never a "How did you do this?" (tithe, gift, retire) So certainly a mis-step for those of us who did so to even mention it is possible. More like a 'fairy tale' to those who do not want to believe it is possible.

Lots of stuff in life is impossible. That is what got us this far.

It has been a REAL eye opener to see how many were swayed by a 'one-time' OMG that didn't work out so well, or the 'typical' gold-digger' excuse... It is ALWAYS easier to blame / find excuses, than it is to CHANGE / run against the tide. Witness out recent 'excuse pro's as 'leaders' (?). Wow, I am glad I never had a boss so weak as our 'leaders'. What company ever survived on Excuses?

What is our excuse? Delayed 'retirement', too little saved due to squandering on the needy, Health care event took EVERYTHING we spent 50 yrs working for, no time to give / volunteer / spend with family...

Painful to realize how long our own list is.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:15 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
^^^^^^^ Bada Bing and right on spot about why the thread. There are many reasons we discuss why people are not prepared for retirement. They are often presented in terms of misfortune or poor decision making. Sometimes we talk about limited income.

Rarely do we discuss a moral consciousness to use their income for what they consider a higher purpose. What would the role of private charity be in contributing to the safety net if there was no charitable giving. It is all part of the circle for life that we collectively travel in. Consider that many nursing homes and Assisted living facilities are faith/charity based and without contributions from them where would many senior/elderly be?

Old 11-23-2016, 08:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
And it is the shared belief and values of that social club that makes membership and tithing so important to many, not all but many. Some might say that in the big picture membership has benefits.
I have a problem with social clubs that claim you are stealing from them if you do not tithe and threaten eternal torture if you are not a member, but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:21 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I have a problem with social clubs that claim you are stealing from them if you do not tithe and threaten eternal torture if you are not a member, but that's just my opinion.
Hahaha, wouldn't join such a club, either. Thankfully, there are "clubs" with alternatives to that way of thinking.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:27 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Thread is one week old and everyone has had their say. Time for the 'attacks' to stop. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind or opinion. Those who tithe, will; those who don't, wont. No need for the continued bashing, expressed or implied.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement