Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:59 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times

Advertisements

Curmudgeon. Because I like the name. Reminds me of someone near.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 05:10 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 vega View Post
we read peoples typed words, thats a lot different than seeing people.
bingo !

Old 11-18-2016, 05:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I think posters would share/reveal less over coffee or beer than they do here.

Why would you think that? I'm pretty upfront about what I post. I can tell you the same thing in person. And I can back it up, too.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have a good-sized handful of people whom I find interesting. I'm not going to name names because I'm afraid I'll leave someone out. These things always feel like popularity contests to me.

I haven't met anyone from CD but there was a forum, closed now, that I belonged to for over ten years and many of us traveled all over to meet each other. We sent each other gifts and even took a cruise together!

We were quite diverse as well but we all had a common interest in a particular radio program. Have to say that for me there were no unpleasant surprises in my face-to-face meetings. There were a few in private messages.
I agree with what I bolded. How important is it that we name people we would like to meet? There are some I would love to meet but there are some I would not care to meet. Should we name them too?

Old 11-18-2016, 07:25 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I agree with what I bolded. How important is it that we name people we would like to meet? There are some I would love to meet but there are some I would not care to meet. Should we name them too?
Same here. There are so many people I admire that it would take all evening to list them all.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:30 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Why would you think that? I'm pretty upfront about what I post. I can tell you the same thing in person. And I can back it up, too.
Speaking only for myself, I've disclosed much about my financial situation here on C-D that I'd never dream of discussing with a stranger over casual drinks or coffee. I've also alluded to personal family situations that I'd not discuss in person because it would violate relatives' privacy if someone could identify them through me.
Perhaps I'm wrong to think that others feel the same?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Same here. There are so many people I admire that it would take all evening to list them all.
Several years back, I was a member of a large and extremely active topical interest board. In a side thread, people often discussed which members they most "admired". One name was frequently mentioned, and a few members actually traveled to her city to meet her. For the most part, those who did meet her in person oddly remained mum on the meetings. A couple mentioned that she was more physically attractive in person than they thought but didn't otherwise comment.
Then one day, that person was suddenly marked as "banned" on the forum, with a note from the mods that any posts mentioning her would be deleted.
Turns out she - a vetted professional woman (a military physician) - stabbed the pregnant wife of her ex-lover, after stalking and threatening the wife for several months. She had continued to make chatty, congenial posts on the forum after the incident.

The wife and baby survived, the woman was convicted and imprisoned (whether in military or civilian court, I don't recall).

Here on C-D, I know 3 people in real life. Two are old and close enough acquaintances I knew before joining. I'm comfortable with them seeing anything I post. The 3rd is a casual acquaintance: she revealed enough about herself, her family, and her location that I was easily able to identify her. She comes over as likable enough but about 70% of what she posts is pure bull.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 11-19-2016 at 12:06 AM..

Old 11-18-2016, 11:58 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Speaking only for myself, I've disclosed much about my financial situation here on C-D that I'd never dream of discussing with a stranger over casual drinks or coffee. I've also alluded to personal family situations that I'd not discuss in person because it would violate relatives' privacy if someone could identify them through me.
Perhaps I'm wrong to think that others feel the same?
I would discuss it anonymously with a stranger in a bar, especially if out of town. Largely because I want opinions, but want them objectively from people who do not know without the blowback of folks who know me. In this small town, anonymity is hard to come by.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would discuss it anonymously with a stranger in a bar, especially if out of town. Largely because I want opinions, but want them objectively from people who do not know without the blowback of folks who know me. In this small town, anonymity is hard to come by.
Would you tell a stranger in a bar that you administer a donor-advised charitable fund and are contemplating a buy-in to a CCRC, both of which require sizable buy-ins?
Those are 2 examples that I've discussed here but would never ever dream of disclosing to a stranger - or most acquaintances & friends - in person. The charitable fund part especially, there's no end to the people who want to push their pet causes.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:15 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Would you tell a stranger in a bar that you administer a donor-advised charitable fund and are contemplating a buy-in to a CCRC, both of which require sizable buy-ins?
Those are 2 examples that I've discussed here but would never ever dream of disclosing to a stranger - or most acquaintances & friends - in person. The charitable fund part especially, there's no end to the people who want to push their pet causes.
If it was not local, gave no specifics in regards to area or system, I would likely solicit a relatively anonymous opinion if that person appeared well-informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement